Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for information on a KA931 for a Gen 4.
I am 92kg or around 200lb in my gear, wondering what would be the base settings and the recomended spring rate for the road.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Green blood I will check out my KA931 booklet that came with the shock!I remember reading "base settings"but not weight based settings!I will get back to you today.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I am looking for information on a KA931 for a Gen 4.
I am 92kg or around 200lb in my gear, wondering what would be the base settings and the recomended spring rate for the road.
Assuming you are using the OEM linkage, 202 lbs in gear would put you right on the edge of a 115Nm spring at 30mm of Sag

Comp 10 Clicks
Reb 14 Clicks

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Thanks LDH for clearing that up!as I said pretty sure the booklet only gives base settings!happy New Year LDH keep safe!stay happy,
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Those are standard settings for compression and rebound. There is no such thing as settings based on weight alone. It is impossible to custom set up damping rates outside of a generically decent setting that would work for most average riders. If you install the correct valve spec and the damping rates are close enough then with the exception of very few individuals the one size fits all philosophy will work and it does and with an Ohlins shock especially the TTX versions very rarely will anyone actually need to deviate from those settings more than a few clicks in either direction.

I mention the above because I have seen where some suspension companies claim to custom setup the damping for each shock for the riders weight and that is just a sales gimmick at best. "Rider Weight" is just one of a myriad of variables that go into selecting a damping curve.

In contrast selecting a spring rate is mainly based on rider weight

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Assuming you are using the OEM linkage, 202 lbs in gear would put you right on the edge of a 115Nm spring at 30mm of Sag

Comp 10 Clicks
Reb 14 Clicks
So when you say "right on the edge of a 115Nm spring" should i go for a 120Nm or 110Nm spring?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
So when you say "right on the edge of a 115Nm spring" should i go for a 120Nm or 110Nm spring?

By the book at 202lb in gear you should be using a 120Nm spring. At 199lb in gear it would be a 115Nm spring so you see it is very close either way and you will either end up with a softer spring running more preload or a stiffer spring running less.

There are pros and cons to both ways and generally speaking an undersprung bike can be ridden much easier than an oversprung one, but the Gen 4 complicates this issue by having a really stiff start rate on the rising rate linkage.

In the real world if this is just a streetbike I would likely go with the 115Nm and it will be just fine. If it is a track only bike I would get one of our linear race linkages, revalve the shock to match and install a 105Nm spring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the book at 202lb in gear you should be using a 120Nm spring. At 199lb in gear it would be a 115Nm spring so you see it is very close either way and you will either end up with a softer spring running more preload or a stiffer spring running less.

There are pros and cons to both ways and generally speaking an undersprung bike can be ridden much easier than an oversprung one, but the Gen 4 complicates this issue by having a really stiff start rate on the rising rate linkage.

In the real world if this is just a streetbike I would likely go with the 115Nm and it will be just fine. If it is a track only bike I would get one of our linear race linkages, revalve the shock to match and install a 105Nm spring.
Thanks LDH, I will go with the 115Nm spring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been a long time since I have been to the Orient....technically I am not a local I live in Sydney's western suburbs 60km away.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I weight slightly more than you at around 95kg in gear. I went with the 120Nm spring as its unlikely i will ever lose weight. Stock linkages etc, i find it works really well on the street.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts