Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bit the bullet and bought the ohlins kit for my 04... Ohlins is selling what they have left in stock on ebay for 350 bucks. Pretty sure retail was like 675 bucks or something absurd like that. Search "zx10 steering damper" on ebay.

Installed today and went for my first ride. I would highly recommend this kit. Getting on the throttle real hard leaned over is not sketchy at all anymore when the front wheel comes off the ground. The wheel confidently sets down and doesn't skitz out at all. If you are thinking about buying one of these and agonizing over dropping the loot, just do it. It is very needed on this bike. Greatly inspires confidence and makes riding more fun.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
good find...I keep eyeballing the Scott damper. This one is right up there as well, especially for the price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was eyeballing the scotts too until I found a post on here that convinced me otherwise. I don't know if its true, but it mentioned that ohlins doesn't like them for street bikes. The scotts damper is designed by ohlins and licensed to scotts. Went on to say how you won't find many pros with scotts dampers on a road race bike.

Scotts dampers are awesome for a dirtbike because they are tucked in very well and won't get damaged in a crash. You can't put a linear damper on a dirtbike and maintain any sort of crash worthiness.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure the scotts will get the job done as well as other brands. It was the above reasoning and the ohlins clearance sale that got my vote though. Just my 2 cents.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
is that the same damper as the 3rd gen unit (but it works)?

i need to send my stock piece to dan

·
Registered
119 Posts
is that the same damper as the 3rd gen unit (but it works)?

i need to send my stock piece to dan
The damper is a bit different. The shaft does not connect to the handle bars like it does on the gen 3. Unfortunately installing this damper is not a simple case of replace stock with this one. the triple nut needs to be removed to put the bracket that holds the damper body to the triples. Not too difficult though. The amount of work needed to fit one is similar to that required for the Scotts dampers without all the adjusments that the scotts one has.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Ohlins makes a "replacement damper" that bolts right on to the 06-10 bracket and it has the actual aftermarket internals. You can buy it right now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ohlins makes a "replacement damper" that bolts right on to the 06-10 bracket and it has the actual aftermarket internals. You can buy it right now.
I assume you mean SD021. Do you know anywhere you can buy them online? I can't seem to find anywhere that sells them online.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is that a vfr750 in the back
Yes it is...1997 vfr750...awesome motorcycle, but with the amount I ride it, it's almost to the point of not worth keeping it. Too bad the used market sucks and the most I would get for it is something like 2500 bucks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It looks like Hard racing only ship to US and Canada. Another place that sells them online is Harris performance. This is the Harris that was involved in the 500cc championship many years ago.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I was eyeballing the scotts too until I found a post on here that convinced me otherwise. I don't know if its true, but it mentioned that ohlins doesn't like them for street bikes. The scotts damper is designed by ohlins and licensed to scotts. Went on to say how you won't find many pros with scotts dampers on a road race bike.

Scotts dampers are awesome for a dirtbike because they are tucked in very well and won't get damaged in a crash. You can't put a linear damper on a dirtbike and maintain any sort of crash worthiness.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure the scotts will get the job done as well as other brands. It was the above reasoning and the ohlins clearance sale that got my vote though. Just my 2 cents.
Hmm, I have only heard good about Scott's. I will keep that in mind. Do you have a link for me by chance or?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm, I have only heard good about Scott's. I will keep that in mind. Do you have a link for me by chance or?
Actually, I've only heard good about scotts too, but obviously that is from people who have paid the 4 or 500 bucks to have it. Like I said earlier though, I'm sure they all get the job done. I don't have a link to that post and I wish I could remember where I read it. It just made sense to me. For whatever reason, it does seem like pros tend to run linear dampers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts