Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to do suspension work to my bike over the winter. i picked the techs brain and here is the things i can do OPTION 1. thing is send them my forks and they can revalve them 750$ OPTION 2. is i can send them my forks and they will put an allthe insides from the ohlins forks and revalve them too with the with the ohlins fork tops $1700 OPTION 3 the ohlins forks that are $2900
the rear is simple they only offer one for this bike and its 1400.

what would you do?

i am going for option 2 and the rear thats 3200 in suspension work!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I hope you are racing that thing on a track otherwise i wouldnt dump that much money into suspension on a road bike! I would recomend front springs 100 and a rear penske 550.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
It depends on what you plan on using the bike for and how much money you wanna spend. Unless you're gonna spend a lot of time at the track it's a big waste of money to do anything besides a revalve/respring at both ends. And don't limit yourself to ohlins, either. It has the most "bling" :badteeth: points but there are alternatives that are cheaper, work just as good, and are often easier to get support for.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am deff going to the track.. i am also going to dragons tail and the opnly riding i like to do is twistys all day long thats y i am thinking about doing this
thats juast the reg retail prices my cousion ows a mc shop so i wont pay anywhere near thoses prices.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am going to do suspension work to my bike over the winter. i picked the techs brain and here is the things i can do OPTION 1. thing is send them my forks and they can revalve them 750$ OPTION 2. is i can send them my forks and they will put an allthe insides from the ohlins forks and revalve them too with the with the ohlins fork tops $1700 OPTION 3 the ohlins forks that are $2900
the rear is simple they only offer one for this bike and its 1400.

what would you do?

i am going for option 2 and the rear thats 3200 in suspension work!
if you guys have other oppions please tell me different companys that work as well so i have some options.. i just know ohlins has a great rep.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Even at places like the dragon you'll never get your moneys worth from suspension work like that. I do 10-12 weekends at the track each year at the front of the A group and the most I've ever done is a revalve/respring like I mentioned earlier.

It's your money but 99% of people can't outride any stock bike that's came out in the last decade or so. Before you spend all that money on fancy parts spend that money on trackdays and add the parts later as you need them.

Check out race-tech as one option. There are many wera/ama guys using them and like I said, except for the bling/street cred bs, race-tech is as good or better than ohlins.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Traxxion. Penske double clicker rear ~$800. Spring and valves for the forks for your style of riding ~$700.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It depends on what you plan on using the bike for and how much money you wanna spend. Unless you're gonna spend a lot of time at the track it's a big waste of money to do anything besides a revalve/respring at both ends. And don't limit yourself to ohlins, either. It has the most "bling" :badteeth: points but there are alternatives that are cheaper, work just as good, and are often easier to get support for.
+1 Unless you are spending 90% of your time at the track you will not be getting the most out of the mods you listed, esp. the fork carts. As someone else posted look at Penski shocks, the double clicker can be rebuilt for you as you get faster. If you can't find a local tuner WITH RECOMENDATIONS from local racers, contact GP suspension www.gpsuspension.com/ or Lindemann www.le-suspension.com/ Both these guys will not try to sell you more than you need.
Ps. As mentioned before Dan Kyle is another in the group!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
if you guys have other oppions please tell me different companys that work as well so i have some options.. i just know ohlins has a great rep.
Have you really taken the time to adjust the suspension? Although not top shelf it is damn good stuff. I bet if you spent a hours worth of labor with a suspension tech to help you set your sag and make some baseline adjustments, you would be happy for quite a long time. (for starters the stock pre-load is way overboard)

Penske shocks are tip top, they come setup for your bike, weight and riding style (which the Ohlins do not), and they are very smooth units. I have an 8983 on my FJR and it is a great unit and the adjustment range is significant and the adjustments themselves are very noticeable. I would not however replace the perfectly good KYB on my 10 with one.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with what ever you decide.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Even at places like the dragon you'll never get your moneys worth from suspension work like that. I do 10-12 weekends at the track each year at the front of the A group and the most I've ever done is a revalve/respring like I mentioned earlier.

It's your money but 99% of people can't outride any stock bike that's came out in the last decade or so. Before you spend all that money on fancy parts spend that money on trackdays and add the parts later as you need them.

Check out race-tech as one option. There are many wera/ama guys using them and like I said, except for the bling/street cred bs, race-tech is as good or better than ohlins.
:+1:

Best advice so far. You'll go faster from skill before you out ride the factory setup. If you're out riding the factory setup already, you're missing out on having other people buy your bikes, suspension, and track time while they pay you. If you must put some money in your suspension, I would highly reccommend race-tech.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to get my forks re-sprung and re-valved, and I'll probably do race-tech when I do. Your suspension, like anything else needs to be serviced periodically. However, Dropping $3k, or even $2k on suspension, you have to really justify that.

·
Registered
410 Posts

:+2:

I've been running at the front of B group (could maybe go to back of A and get put to shame??) and I havne't needed any suspension upgrades yet. I have lots of adjustment available and rarely use it.

It all comes down to skill. if you give a shakey guy a $5000 sniper rifle, he'll still be a bad shot.

Of course, if you just feel like spending money and want the bling, go for it! it will definately make a difference, it's just an issue of if you can use it or not.

·
Where'd the boobs go?
2,655 Posts
+3 more track time. I just started doing track days and started with adjusting my stock suspension. Set the sag and go from there...I've got money to spend on track days and not thousands on suspension or even hundreds. I've been riding superbikes for 6 years and its all I do. I will go with race-tech when the time comes though...

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Since no one else is, i will be on the other boat... If you have the $$$ buy them, the difference is night and day, even on the street. Don't try to justify or control mods, the cure has not been found yet. I see it on everybody's faces when they see 9r to 10r's bikes. :lol:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Since no one else is, i will be on the other boat... If you have the $$$ buy them, the difference is night and day, even on the street. Don't try to justify or control mods, the cure has not been found yet. I see it on everybody's faces when they see 9r to 10r's bikes. :lol:

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do with their money. If that's what makes you feel good or fast, go for it. I'm just offering up the realistic side of the argument. All the bling and fancy parts in the world won't help if you don't have the skill to use them and the simple fact is that 99% of people don't have the skill. And anyone who says it makes them faster on the street is just trying to justify the expense because, like I mentioned before, no one here can outride even the stock stuff, especially on the street.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
no one here can outride even the stock stuff, especially on the street.
Sometimes it's not about going faster on the track or the street. I installed my Penske and revalved the front to make the ride less harsh. Yes...I'm the freak that installs Heli bars and wants the suspension to be plush for 600 mile days. No need for heavy track valving, I rarely use the brake on rides so dive isn't an issue. ..At the track a few clicks of compression damping is plenty for my skill level and the aftermarket valving and penske give much better feedback than oem. :cool:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
^^^

I understand where your coming from as far as the long rides go and also about you feeling more comfortable on the track but the fact remains that the stock stuff is good enough for faster times than anyone here is capable of.

Like I said, I'm not trying to tell anyone they can't go out and buy aftermarket suspension. I was just letting the OP know that there are alternatives to the fancy brands that everyone knows and often uses more for the look than the functionality.

On a side note, it's good to have one of the members from the early years visiting again.:eek:ccasion1

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
phastone said:
the fact remains that the stock stuff is good enough for faster times than anyone here is capable of.
:eek:ccasion1

phastone said:
On a side note, it's good to have one of the members from the early years visiting again.:eek:ccasion1
Just here to :stir: then sit back and:popcorn:

I was told the site had been overrun by Squidly Gixxer types in my absence and lil :whipping:was needed. :helmet:

·
Registered
648 Posts

:iamwithst If your riding street you'll never tell the difference, and depending on your skill level at the track you "MIGHT" tell the difference

1 - 20 of 39 Posts