Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., I'm gonna bite the bullet and spring for a steering damper. I have decided on an Ohlins set-up. Now the question is whether to go with the factory set up (or a clone from someone like Attack) or go with the Ohlins set up that attaches to the tank mounting bolts and the stem. If I go factory set-up which, Ohlins damper do I need as Kawasaki only seem to sell the brackets? Is there an advantage to one set-up over the other? Who has the best prices?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would go the Attack route. It puts the damper in a relatively safe place in the event of a crash. The top mount systems just look bulky to me and are a hassle if you need to remove the tank.

·
Registered
311 Posts
from what i have seen the attack is a better mount. i use the hyperpro rsc myself but the ohlins is a great unit.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just ordered the factory set up with the Ohlins damper. I had the factory set up on my 04 zx6rr and I loved it. I heard the best dampers are the ones mounted to the fork legs.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I like the Ohlins mounted side to side, under the ram air tube. Pretty cool way to do it.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
I have the factory side-mounted set-up. 140mm of travel would probably be OK, but mine has 150mm just to make sure that the steering damper isn't acting as the end-stop for the steering.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have y'all noticed the new fork bracket on the buykawasaki.com site. Instead of being sold in two pieces it is sold as a unit and instead of being almost $200 it is now around $40. Does the factory bracket mount to the frame in the two holes? The fractory frame bracket looks very cheesy, especially for $100. The Attack fork bracket looks very similar to the factory part. The frame end looks very different?

From what I can gather the Ohlins generic damper comes in 120mm and 150mm plus some shorter lengths. Which are y'all usin'?

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I ordered the brackets for the steering damper from the folks at Attack. They give a 10% discount for ordering off the web page so the brackets cost about $120. Now I need the Ohlins damper itself. The guy at Attack said I need theOhlins SD1390 damper which is just the cylinder, no kit or anything. Who sell that? How much?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
You can order that damper from ema-usa or slava or indysuperbikes.com

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ended up getting the brackets from the folks at Attack for about $120 and the Ohlins damper itself (68mm stroke) from Kyle Racing for about $260 so with shipping and all it looks like I will have an Ohlins damper for about $400.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Anybody have pics of where the attack mounting is?

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No pics but one end attaches to the frame where the two holes are on the left side. There is the bracket and a backer that goes inside the frame. The other end is a clamp that fits around the fork tube. The damper fits between the two.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bet you is right. I just assumed that is where the other end would go because that is where the post is on the 6RR. Looks like I get to take the front end off.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Yeah, that is one of the reasons I've been putting off the damper. Heard from others that the front fairing is a major pain.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Maybe a dumb ? but what are the 2 holes in the left side frame for ???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts