Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some research before sending my Ohlins steering damper off to be rebuilt to aftermarket spec and I came across some threads that mentioned it might have the potential to break under maximum dampening. I just wanted anyone considering this to know. This can happen. I cranked it all the way up and was testing it in my garage to see how much improved it was and the lower bracket snapped. I'm not saying this would happen under normal driving conditions. I just wanted to put this information out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It appears from the replacement part they have changed the design to eliminate this. So, if you are considering this mod, you might want to consider purchasing Kawasaki part number 11054-1094.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yes i got that warning from an ohlins tech. The stock bracket is cast aluminum and can break, not really sure if the material for your new bracket is the same or not.

Fact is though, no one should be trying to ride around with the damper cranked full hard. A few clicks from full soft should be all that's required. If you are having tankslappers that bad, something else is wrong.

Worth bring up though, as most have rebuilt their stock dampers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes i got that warning from an ohlins tech. The stock bracket is cast aluminum and can break, not really sure if the material for your new bracket is the same or not.

Fact is though, no one should be trying to ride around with the damper cranked full hard. A few clicks from full soft should be all that's required. If you are having tankslappers that bad, something else is wrong.

Worth bring up though, as most have rebuilt their stock dampers.
347Tony has his rebuilt with 120,000kms on his 10 and its not broke yet. If you drive around with the damper "full tight", then your asking for trouble. I rode have decently hard on my 10 and never had any probs witht he damper full tight (before rebuild) and 9 clicks is more then the factory "full".

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
riding with a damper too tight will hinder handling....it should be at the lowest possible setting where the steering is light but the dampening is active...if you are still having major problems, it is suspension issues...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts