Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is someone selling a ohlins shock which is originally for an 2001 gsxr1000, but he has been running it on his 2004 zx10r.
My question is, is it really compatible with my 04 zx10r? The seller says the only difference is shock lenght, but it is within the adjustment range.
Buy it yes or no?

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Yes a shock is a shock! They may have to adj the rod length! And possibly the bushings on were it mounts, but they don’t build shocks specific by bike i.e. Honda shocks on mon. Suzuki shocks on Tue. All the internals are the same off the assembly line UNLESS you order a custom shock! sooooo the answer is yes you can put the same shock on 90% of all the bikes out there {with some work}

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
:+1: what ZX10Racer said.

You want to make sure you have enough stroke on the shock (sometimes it could be just the difference in the bump stop) and that the reservoir or fittings do not interfere with the swingarm travel.

If you want a truly custom shock, you'll need to get custom valving on the shock.

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,738 Posts
There is someone selling a ohlins shock which is originally for an 2001 gsxr1000, but he has been running it on his 2004 zx10r.
My question is, is it really compatible with my 04 zx10r? The seller says the only difference is shock lenght, but it is within the adjustment range.
Buy it yes or no?
looks like he already did your homework for ya

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I just saw that on the GTA boards. You'll be good to go with it. If I remember right all gen 10R's have the same 338mm eye-eye shock length so just adjust it back to stock length before you put it on the bike and adjust to your liking from there. The Gixxer has a few more mm's of stroke over the 10R so you'll be fine. I would grind him on the price a bit though, seems a bit high. Ohlins USA has the 46 PRXLS (KA345) for $700 on inventory clear out.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
My $ 0.02:

Dunno why everybody swear by Ohlins....:badteeth:

I have Penske on both of my bikes, Elka and White Power also make GREAT shocks.

I spend lots of time at the track and I hear Ohlins shocks are more difficult to

tune / set up.

:cool:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
IMO Penski is a better shock for 3 to 4 hundred less then Ohlins! Ohlins is good shit don't get me wrong but you pay for that name! save the dough and go Penski!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Ohlins rear shock that I'm gonna take off my 04 Kawi. I bought it with it on there and I DO NOT NEED a $1400 shock for the streets.... If you're interested, I'd sell it for a good price since I already have the stock shock too. Let me know, I'd just be a matter of when I get the thing off!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Buy it yes or no?
I had an Ohlins shock from a 2006 GSXR 1000 on my 04 ZX10R and I was able to adjust the length to match the stock ZX10 shock length. The stroke on the GSXR shock is different than the ZX10 Ohlins shock. If you search the web you can find the differeces. The GSXR Ohlins felt different than the Ohlins I eventualy bought for a ZX10R. I would wait and get the right shock for your bike.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes a shock is a shock! They may have to adj the rod length! And possibly the bushings on were it mounts, but they don’t build shocks specific by bike i.e. Honda shocks on mon. Suzuki shocks on Tue. All the internals are the same off the assembly line UNLESS you order a custom shock! sooooo the answer is yes you can put the same shock on 90% of all the bikes out there {with some work}
Here's another question.....being inline that they don't manufacture shocks for specified bikes unless its being custom built, then a shock on a 600 doesn't internally differ from a 1000, unless otherwise stated (custom built) ? I am looking at this cause' a friend of mine is parting out his trackbike, its a 600 and has a penske shock and I am looking to pick one up, his was adjusted to his weight, would it be worthwhile having said this?

·
Registered
186 Posts
:hello:my opinion is to purchase an HYPERPRO rear spring for your bike,and you will realise such a difference for about 120$,that even for racing is fine,without sacrificing much for street use.believe me,except spring,the rear shock unit is GORGEOUS!!:wink:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Here's another question.....being inline that they don't manufacture shocks for specified bikes unless its being custom built, then a shock on a 600 doesn't internally differ from a 1000, unless otherwise stated (custom built) ? I am looking at this cause' a friend of mine is parting out his trackbike, its a 600 and has a penske shock and I am looking to pick one up, his was adjusted to his weight, would it be worthwhile having said this?
your fine you may have to send it to Penski or Traxxtion to get the right rod length! thats about $100 or so

1 - 17 of 17 Posts