Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Please be gentle on me about this probably dumb question. I am now rebuilding my 10 after totaling (thanks guys for talking me into it, it's definitely the best choice) and am curious about maybe getting an Ohlins shock with some of the extra cash I have. Right now they are running a pretty sick deal on them, as well as the cartridge kits, and even the forks. So my question is, how much difference will just the shock make? Is it a big difference? Should I not do it if I'm not going to get the cartridge kit or forks at the same time? I realize this is a hugely broad question, but I'm curious and I feel like now's definitely the time to buy with pricing the way it is. I always thought my 08 handled well, but the way it negotiated some terrain left some to be desired a felt, and since I can afford it now better now than later right?

Thanks.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
well if you buy it and dont like it...let me know, i'll take first dibs!!!

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
on a serious note. if you do decide to get the shock, do the forks at the same time. if you do one then the other, you will never get it balanced. but ultimately do you really need that much suspension on the street? if you do track it, be aware that you are going to give up spem of the streetability. bu tits alway a give and take when you start building a purpose built bike. you may be just as happy doing a fork job, and having the rear shock done. maybe by race tech or something. but it always come down to how much you are willing to spend. but let us know what kind of deal you get. or what you end up going with.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, I'm trying to not drop a fortune on this bike right now but it's soooo tempting. I feel like I recall some users saying the shock was the main weak point, but I'm unsure where I saw it and searching 'Ohlins shock' just gets a lot of for sale threads.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
like i said man, how fast do you ride and do you think you are going to get your money back out of it? i been debating doing mine too, but rreally its not that bad stock. i did redo my forks with some heavier oil, to get the front a little stiffer. but the overall ride quality is decent. now mind you i have not done a track day with it yet either, but i have been on a feew good street rides. it is bit lightly sprung for my weight, but its doable with soem finesse. hard to drop 2k+ in some suspension. not to say i have not been contemplating it for sure.

·
Registered
590 Posts
some KILLER deals on 25mm cart kits in the forks and ttx shock.. around $1950 for the whole works. Ohlins USA has this deal along with Lithium motorsports and Dan Kyle! that is a GREAT price. I would do both at the same time and you won't be disappointed at all

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
some KILLER deals on 25mm cart kits in the forks and ttx shock.. around $1950 for the whole works. Ohlins USA has this deal along with Lithium motorsports and Dan Kyle! that is a GREAT price. I would do both at the same time and you won't be disappointed at all
thats def tempting...

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^Yeah this is the deal I was talking about... 2 grand shipped is ridiculous. It's also a little more than I can justify dropping right now. Fack I hate these decisions. Maybe if it's still available in a month I will go for it. I was told it was "while supplies last".

·
Registered
590 Posts
i think it's good until the end of Dec!!!! call DK.. he usually honors everything. that's installed too!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ohlins shock is it worth it ?

Haha, I'm trying to not drop a fortune on this bike right now but it's soooo tempting. I feel like I recall some users saying the shock was the main weak point, but I'm unsure where I saw it and searching 'Ohlins shock' just gets a lot of for sale threads.

The TTX rear shock with proper spring rate will do wonders for the 08 + models & really actually compliments the stock forks quite well

the forks on the 08+ are worlds better, then that thing on the back kaw calls a rear shock....

IMHO buy just the TTX shock... = most bang for the $

unless of course if you have lot's of $ to burn then go for the TTX 25mm cartridges for the forks, but seriously unless your trying to shave tenths off your lap times the stock forks & rear TTX really is a hot setup !

Also FYI Ohlins-tends to spec their spring rates on the stiff side go 1 rate softer then what ohlins recommends & spring should be close to perfect :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^Cool thanks. I'm a street rider mostly, but I do like to ride quick from time to time and I hope to do a trackday one day.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Get the shock. You won't be sorry. The difference between OEM and Ohlins is like wiping your ass with 80 grit sandpaper vs a nice roll of Charmin.

Get the shock.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I say do it as well.

The loss of value if you decide to sell your bike later is not much.
If you are keeping your bike then why not? You will feel the difference for sure, i think it's worth it. Toys are meant to be used and enjoyed in this short life of ours!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^Yeah, the logic I use is that if I'm going to ride this bike until it runs into the ground (which is the plan) I will get plenty of use out of it, and there's always the possibility it will work on later bikes too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Takes the mush out of it, sharpens up the transitioning (flickability) of the ten but like he said 2k for street? how fast do you really go.. it is the public road. Race tech springs and valve kit 450.00 penske double click 1k, thing feels like its ready for isle of man.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Please don't flame me for this guys, but most of ya'll do not know what your talking about and buy stuff for the "bling" factor. Truth be known, if your not a seasoned vet doing track days you are wasting your money! The ONLY reason you need suspension work is if you are fast enough to where you are out riding your stock stuff! There is no reason to put race suspension on a bike that's ridden on the street. I'd look at spending that money else where unless your gonna turn your bike into a track only bike? But do what ever floats your boat!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Please don't flame me for this guys, but most of ya'll do not know what your talking about and buy stuff for the "bling" factor. Truth be known, if your not a seasoned vet doing track days you are wasting your money! The ONLY reason you need suspension work is if you are fast enough to where you are out riding your stock stuff! There is no reason to put race suspension on a bike that's ridden on the street. I'd look at spending that money else where unless your gonna turn your bike into a track only bike? But do what ever floats your boat!
:+1:

OP - it's your money, do with it what you want. But this is an easy opportunity to be frugal. Is the shock bad? Leaking? Get it rebuilt. Same with the front. I know we all like mods. But I kinda wish I had spent more money on trackdays than I have on mods (yeah, mods last longer, but track time makes you faster).

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^I don't disagree with that at all... and honestly the bling factor plays a roll here to an extent, BUT I'm also the kind of person that likes to overkill everything and think if I felt a difference and felt more confident in the bike's ability I would be happy, even if it didn't directly make me faster. Bottom-line is that I'm probably going to wait to get the shock, but I definitely plan to get it eventually.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts