Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does everyone have their Ohlins SD021 steering damper set for the track? I race in Texas, and the tracks down here are pretty bumpy. I started with the suggested setting from Ohlins, and kept getting severe head shake on the gas. After playing with the settings for a day, my final setting was 2 out from full stiff. Is that normal or is something wrong with my steering damper? Thanks.

·
Crash Test Dummy
820 Posts
Where does everyone have their Ohlins SD021 steering damper set for the track? I race in Texas, and the tracks down here are pretty bumpy. I started with the suggested setting from Ohlins, and kept getting severe head shake on the gas. After playing with the settings for a day, my final setting was 2 out from full stiff. Is that normal or is something wrong with my steering damper? Thanks.
Sounds like you have other problems. Maybe geometry ...suspension both....

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,543 Posts
Something is wrong with your Suspension and chassis setup. I run my damper on the lightest setting on the street and track. If you're getting head shake, your set-up is out of whack.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You should really run the clicker in as far as you need to. At most. less than half way in.

So.. You are really only masking the real problem. I would advice you look for a real fix, Most probably your setup needs some work, Probably related to the rear in most cases.

Could you shed some light on your current setup, Weight, tires, suspension, springs, pace, Stock link etc ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something is wrong with your Suspension and chassis setup. I run my damper on the lightest setting on the street and track. If you're getting head shake, your set-up is out of whack.
What could be wrong with the set up to cause head shake? If the front is raised too high? Or could it be compression in the rear? I have noticed that there is a pogo effect coming out of corners on the rear. I don't feel it when I'm riding, I just see it on my recorded data from my rpms bouncing as they are climbing coming out of sweepers.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,543 Posts
What could be wrong with the set up to cause head shake? If the front is raised too high? Or could it be compression in the rear? I have noticed that there is a pogo effect coming out of corners on the rear. I don't feel it when I'm riding, I just see it on my recorded data from my rpms bouncing as they are climbing coming out of sweepers.

Tons of crap can be wrong with it. As mentioned above, it's most likely something with the rear. If you're already noticing that the rear is pogoing then you should be looking at your shock as the main culprit. Bad low speed compression valve, bad compression. Spring is too loose, etc. Forget about the damper. It isn't your issue and will just cause more problems if you crank it too tight thinking that will fix it. It won't.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks for all the input. It may have had something to do with the recall. I know my shock was on the recall list and I just sent it back it. I have also gone to stiffer springs in the front and rear. We have been playing with the setup for a little while now and decided to go to heavier springs because compression and preload were turned up pretty high. When I get my shock back, I'll schedule a tune date to try and get it figured out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts