Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just finished putting a couple of hundred miles on the bike after installing the Ohlins rear. All I can say is WOW:rockwoot: ! I should have done this last year. The bike seems much more settled through the corners. Uneven and bumpy turns don’t seem to unsettle the bike nearly as much, especially at speed; tracked like it was on rails. Next project is to get Ohlins springs and valves for the front.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I'm thinkin' about gettin' an Ohlins or Penske and stiffer spring for the 636. It just feels too soft to me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just got the front forks done with GP suspension parts.. sweet setup. Waiting for my penske rear with custom gp valving... yum :D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My next upgrade is to have the bike serviced....Ohlins shocks are never going to happen I don't think......sniffle.....

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Glad to hear the Ohlins rear shock works well! My list of mods for the winter include the Ohlins rear, rebuilding the front suspension (way to soft for 230lbs), Steel braided brake lines, new pads, steering damper and possibly a TRE and PCIII.....

How was the install of the new Ohlins piece?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I agree... I wasn't expecting a big difference in handling from just a rear shock, but, if you pardon the pun, the difference was quite "shocking."

I am not a racer, but the rear end always felt a little flighty to me, no matter how I tried to dial it in. Also, I was always surprised at how easy the rear tire would spin up under power while exiting corners. All that, and the ride always seemed harsh no matter which way I went with the adjustments.

I too consulted with Ohlins, and was advised to get the 46PRC (two way adjustment) instead of the 46PRXLS (three way adjustments). The three-way will definitely give you more adjustability in the way og high and low speed compression, but I was told that unless you really understand suspension dynamics and intend to race competitively, the difference is really negligable. I was also told that they've had great success with the PRC, as it is tuned specifically for the 10R's application so it will work well at a variety of settings. The remote preload is definitely nice (especially since I hate messing with those preload ring adjustments) on the 46PRXLS, but since I never ride ride with a pillion, it isn't essential to me. I really appreciated the candidness and helpfullness provided by Ohlins, even though I was ready to dish out full fare for the 46PRXLS, they steered me to what suited me best.

Oh right... the subjective impressions. The first thing I noticed is just how much better the ride is. Even with the compression set high, you never feel the sharp impact of a bump and the rear tire seems to hook up much better. It will still spin up, but feels much more controllable and confidence inspiring especially over bumpy roads. All in all, easily the best mod I've done to the 10R.

Over the Winter I may consider revalving, and getting some work done on the front forks, but I am deliberating on it as the stock piece works very nicely.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
whats something like this shock cost dollar wise?? I agree that the stock rear suspension is tough to figure out on public roads.. too much compression and it's bouncy, not enough and it colapses the shock under throttle coming off the corners. no middle ground it seems.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
prolly bout 800 with shipping...I think. unless you go with the 3 way..then youre looking at a grand.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I paid about $630 shipped for my 46PRC, and the 46PRXLS was offered at around $950.00. Note: this is before Ohlins hiked their prices earlier this month <sigh!>

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
contact slava or lindemann for best prices on Ohlins...also indysuperbikes (sponsor) has great Ohlins prices....for Penske nobody can beat Brad at Superbike Supply (sponsor also).

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I heard Ohlins fork internals in stockers are just about as good Ohlins R/T forks. This was said by Dan Kyle at a RC51 forum at his shop. I'm thinking that's the route I'll go with a Ohilns rear. Unless the Ohlins forks are significantly lighter then stock.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
That would be correct SP, the Ohlins fork internals would transform our OEM tubes into near R/T forks sans the moniker and lill else.

BD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts