Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question refers primarily to 08-10 models.

I have updated the rear with the Ohlins TTX.

For the fork I am looking at either installing the 20mm piston kit FPK105, or installing a cartridge kit, 25 or 30mm.

My riding level is amateur racing level, the setup is intended for track use.

The difference between standard and cartridge is described by many as large, but where on the scale does the the piston kit show up? Almost as good as the cartridge? Just above standard?

Anyone who have tried both 25 and 30mm cartridge on this bike? Opinions?

We are talking bang for the buck here, tires and track time eat the budget.
I will be installing and servicing myself, regardless of choice.

Anyone who had the fork legs polished for reduced stiction? Opinons?

Anyone who had the comp needles replaced for better precision in setup? What did you use? GP suspension?
Applicable to the piston kit and, I assume, the 25mm cartridge (not applicable to the 30mm kit).

Would appreciate to share your experiences.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Bang/Buck- the $500 deal Ohlins is running on the piston kit can't be beat. I can't really speak to anything beyond that. ...oh... except I do like the needles that came with my AK20's. Much more precise adjustments.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bang/Buck- the $500 deal Ohlins is running on the piston kit can't be beat. I can't really speak to anything beyond that. ...oh... except I do like the needles that came with my AK20's. Much more precise adjustments.
Actually the piston kit will be less since I do the installation myself.

I take it you have tried the piston kit on a 08-10 model, am I correct?
How would you describe the difference stock vs piston kit?

/Stefan M

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I take it you have tried the piston kit on a 08-10 model, am I correct?
How would you describe the difference stock vs piston kit?

/Stefan M
No...was speaking in general terms. I have the AK20 cartridges in an 07. Huge difference, but a lot of it was likely getting the correct springs for my not so light figure. :helmet:

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you run short sprint races (6-10 laps) you won't get much benefit from the cartridges. If you run 20 lappers, get the cartridges. Not much difference between 25mm or 30mm. Always polish the forks.

I have a set of 25mm cartridges for sale:badteeth:

·
Registered
388 Posts
The biggest difference is in the amount of adjustment between the cartridge kit and the piston kit.

The piston kit- only replaces the fork piston and valving along with it, the amount of adjustment is determined by all the other hardware in your forks.

The cartridge kit- replaces every thing inside the forks, (pistons, valves, compression tube, cap, needle, springs and all.)

You will gain over all adjustment with the cartridge kit VS. the piston.
I.E. 20 clicks of rebound VS. the showa standard 10, the over all adjustment is around the same I would assume but the increments in which it is adj is smaller and finer on the cartridge kit. allowing you to more fine tune depending on track and other factors. same goes for spring preload and high and low compression.

You will also gain travel with the cartridge kit, because it eliminates the top out springs. I.E. giving you more adjustment to better set spring preload and over all front end feel.

Also with the cartridge kit you have much higher manufacturing tolerances for the rest of the fork components which are not replaced with the piston kit, which means less friction, deflection, oil bypass and others which leads to a more constant set up.

All that in mind, I would say if you are a suspension set up novice or slow like me, then you would be better served going with the piston kit. Although the cartridge kit will bring you a higher resale value then the piston kit ever would. :thumbsup:

DISCLAMER: I AM SLOW AND DUMB :thumbsup: ( I ride a set of 25mm cartridge= I am partial to them, but I have installed a few race tech piston kits, set up a few ak-20's, and rebuilt more forks then I can shake a stick at.)

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
I had everything done to my stock forks on my zx6r and there seemed to be a huge difference. I wasn't really able to thrash the bike given the shitty conditions when I rode it. I'm getting the ohlins rt fork put on my 10r this month so I can give you an idea of how they feel later. My guess is redoing the stock forks is plenty for most of us.

Are you just doing track days or are you racing, or planning on going into racing?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you run short sprint races (6-10 laps) you won't get much benefit from the cartridges. If you run 20 lappers, get the cartridges. Not much difference between 25mm or 30mm. Always polish the forks.

I have a set of 25mm cartridges for sale:badteeth:
I am not racing any longer, only practice/track days, but I keep up with my former race pace.

Why the distinction between race distances?

I may be interested in your cartridge, I looked at your thread, I understand they are revalved to work for heavier rider than stock?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The biggest difference is in the amount of adjustment between the cartridge kit and the piston kit.

The piston kit- only replaces the fork piston and valving along with it, the amount of adjustment is determined by all the other hardware in your forks.

The cartridge kit- replaces every thing inside the forks, (pistons, valves, compression tube, cap, needle, springs and all.)

You will gain over all adjustment with the cartridge kit VS. the piston.
I.E. 20 clicks of rebound VS. the showa standard 10, the over all adjustment is around the same I would assume but the increments in which it is adj is smaller and finer on the cartridge kit. allowing you to more fine tune depending on track and other factors. same goes for spring preload and high and low compression.

You will also gain travel with the cartridge kit, because it eliminates the top out springs. I.E. giving you more adjustment to better set spring preload and over all front end feel.

Also with the cartridge kit you have much higher manufacturing tolerances for the rest of the fork components which are not replaced with the piston kit, which means less friction, deflection, oil bypass and others which leads to a more constant set up.

All that in mind, I would say if you are a suspension set up novice or slow like me, then you would be better served going with the piston kit. Although the cartridge kit will bring you a higher resale value then the piston kit ever would. :thumbsup:

DISCLAMER: I AM SLOW AND DUMB :thumbsup: ( I ride a set of 25mm cartridge= I am partial to them, but I have installed a few race tech piston kits, set up a few ak-20's, and rebuilt more forks then I can shake a stick at.)
I am slow too :smile:

Did you change the comp needles together with the installation of your cartridge?

I have been suggested to change comp needles when going for the piston kit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had everything done to my stock forks on my zx6r and there seemed to be a huge difference. I wasn't really able to thrash the bike given the shitty conditions when I rode it. I'm getting the ohlins rt fork put on my 10r this month so I can give you an idea of how they feel later. My guess is redoing the stock forks is plenty for most of us.

Are you just doing track days or are you racing, or planning on going into racing?
"had everything done", exactly what does this include?

Yepp, redoing stock fork is definitely enough....

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Re-valve street and road raceforks
ohlins piston kit super sport FG
ohlins R&T 43 1309
R/T fork springs .95kg
k-tech comp adj showa 1.5mm 2007>

With labour with the forks still on the bike it was around a $1000

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Decision made!

Well, I finally decided to buy the fork piston kit FPK105.

I did some research apart from this forum (thank you all for your input!). I also talked to top racers and people formerly/currently employed by Ohlins (actually I live 30 mins from Ohlins HQ here in Sweden).

Summing up, my conclusion is:
If you do not need the superior serviceability you get with the cartridge (for example changing springs in the pit due to sudden rain), you get a great improvement with the piston kit at a very affordable cost.

Mary at Superbike Supply (lexusrx) provided great pricing and good customer service (recommended), and consequently sold me the piston kit, which I received last week.

With my weight (80kg plus gear) I do not need to change springs as OEM fits well.

Considering I do all work myself, if I buy a cartridge I need to buy special tools.

Since I am at amateur racer level, the piston kit will most likely serve me very well at a fraction of the cartridge cost.

Disclaimer: we have winter & snow here, so a first test run will be in April. The above is assumptions from other people's experience and knowledge.

/Stefan M

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I can't find another relevant one that is any newer.

If you could get the Ohlins 25mm cart kit for about 800 would you do that over the piston kit or reworking the stockers? Keep in mind I'll have to pay around 245 for labor.

Thanks

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I can't find another relevant one that is any newer.

If you could get the Ohlins 25mm cart kit for about 800 would you do that over the piston kit or reworking the stockers? Keep in mind I'll have to pay around 245 for labor.

Thanks
If comes with proper springs absolutely. With your labour that about the same as I paid for all my stuff.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It'll be about a grand with the correct springs and labor. I might just try the Ohlins rear for awhile and see how that feels. I know that is my first problem since I'm around 225 with gear. I don't race or anything so I really don't know if the forks are really limiting me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
goal...

What do you plan to achieve with your mods?

What kind of suspension problem do you experience today?

Did you take the time to tune the OEM components?

IMO the OEM stuff is way better than you need outside the racetrack.

If you really want to take your riding to a new level, join the trackdays junkie club.

1. Make sure your suspension is tuned to the correct sag. If not possible, re-spring (I do not know if needed when 225).

2. Spend your $ on trackdays & tires for best value (=max fun!).

3. If you at this point feel the bike is limiting factor, then upgrade suspension further.

Maybe not the answer you want to hear though.

/Stefan M

----

Ooh, forgot to keep you updated:

I also ordered new compression needles from GP Suspension. Purpose is to acheive an "easier to work with" range of adjustments for the compression, as OEM tend to be too much on/off. Anyway, a pair of needles are just $40, not too much to think about. GP Suspension were nice to deal with, good customer service.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well, given this is my first street bike I don't have anything to compare it to. I rode dirt my whole life. I feel like the bike doesn't handle all the rough roads I ride on very well, at speed or when stuck in town doing 40mph. I've set the sag for rider weight front and rear...I can't remember if free sag ended up correct but I know there was some. So it seems there is conflicting info if I'm understanding it correctly. I've read that if you can't get the sag set right, you need new springs. Yet all of the spring calculators say that my rear spring is way too light and the front is real close for my weight. The same tech guy (On racing I think?) that had a video on setting sag has a video where he has four different size people sit on a Gen 3 ZX10R. He was commenting the whole time how unbalanced the spring rates were front to rear. The biggest guy (@ my size) got on and he stated the fronts were about right for him but that the rear was now way too light. When he had a female get on it was the opposite---fronts way to heavy and rear almost right.

I just want the bike to feel better but again, nothing to compare it to but dirtbikes. Hey at least I'm not trying to piss my money away HP gains, right?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

Stock shock sucks, forks are great IMO. I sprung for the RT forks but Im still getting them dialed in, the RTs have a much smoother stroke the the stock forks, but I dont know if thats cause they have a difference of 5k miles. Im am 270lbs geared up and if I had to do it again I wouldnt do anything to the forks, the shock was a must.

I've never been on full ohlins so thats really the reason I puilled the trigger.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thats the video I was talking about. I just ordered the rear so I'm going to do what he says and reassess the front once I get the back handled. I think I experience what he is talking about on a downhill curved on ramp I ride. The best I can describe it is it feels like the bike is standing up...? It's not off camber but I just don't feel solid on it. Feels similar doing the uphill on ramp on the other side but not quite as bad.

Ninja, when you say dialed in do you mean just adjustments you can do or something more involved?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Thats the video I was talking about. I just ordered the rear so I'm going to do what he says and reassess the front once I get the back handled. I think I experience what he is talking about on a downhill curved on ramp I ride. The best I can describe it is it feels like the bike is standing up...? It's not off camber but I just don't feel solid on it. Feels similar doing the uphill on ramp on the other side but not quite as bad.

Ninja, when you say dialed in do you mean just adjustments you can do or something more involved?
Compression tears on the front tire., only have half a day on the new forks. Was going to sell the bike and didnt bother chasing it, then the buyer backed out so now the snow is melted need to dial them in. As a novice racer and trackday rider @ my weight the stock forks were great.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts