Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 zx10 found it new on the showroom floor about a month ago i just hit 1200 miles and have started bringin it up past the 130mph mark and definately noticed some bad headshake....so my question is should i go with the ohlins or the gpr stabilizer....any input from people who have either would be much appriciated thank you

·
Registered
353 Posts
i heard the the GPR are great but i have always used Ohlins. i had an 04 and 05 zx10r that i bought Ohlins. now w/ my 07 i know it came w/ an ohlins but i still bought an aftermarket Ohlins to replace the factory one. Ohlins has like 16-18 clicks (adjustment) i believe the GPR only has like 8 clicks or so. my guess would be since the ohlins has more clicks u can fine tune it. but i definitely recommend ohlins.

·
Registered
141 Posts
sorry to get a bit off topic here, but how good is the stock steering dampiner on the 07 10R's????

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
I run the ohlins damper on my 04. I love it, no complaints other than the price. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Never used an Ohlins before but with my GPR... I don't see myself getting any other damper. IMHO I like the looks (btw you also get to choose from different colors) and yeah, works like a charm!

·
Registered
141 Posts
but what about the stock dampiner. an aftermarket one better work good for the money you guys are paying.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I have the GPR and love it had one of the older ones on my 929 and loved it also.
If you want to spend the extra money get the Ohlins if you want to save some money and have a product that works just as well get the GPR.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
For those with after market ones, dose it luck the steering when its set on the hardest setting? Cuz my susp guy told me the OEM is set not to luck for safty reasongs by Ohlin.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So im gathering they both work but the ohlins is way more adjustable but more pricey so it boils down to looks and price heheeh

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got the GPR damper on my 05 10R. It's the first bike I've ever put a damper on, so my experience of them is limited. I fitted it a few weeks before going to the Isle of Man this year.

I've ridden an 05 10R with a Sprint damper (which I understand is a previous design of the Ohlins) earlier on this year, and in comparison the front end felt heavy. The same day I rode a GSXR-1k with it's stock damper, and that felt front-heavy too. At the time my 10R didn't have a damper and felt much lighter with the steering feeling far easier. After those two tryouts I wasn't that keen on getting a damper as I didn't like the affect on the feel through the bars.

When I fitted the GPR I thought I'd get the heavy-front end feeling, but it's never showed up. The bike seems to handle like it doesn't have a damper on, only it's far less twitchy. I was trying to find the appropriate setting for me by starting it with at the lowest setting (as pictured) and then ramping it up as I saw fit. After a few laps round of the IoM TT course it was up to 4 and a bit. I didn't see any need for any more. There might only be 8 numbers on the dial, but there's lots of adjustment between the numbers (hence 4-and-a-bit). It's not just "1" or "2", etc.

I think it's a fantastic piece of kit, and other folk seem to like it. I'd recommend one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
the gpr/scotts style dampers are great..another good thing is that both of these companies are here in the states and you can easliy have your damper serviced when needed...Ohlins are very good dampers but are pricey...we carry all these dampers at great prices but we sell more gpr's than any other brand due to price...either way you can't go wrong..let me know if we can help..

dwayne

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's another point I forgot, and Dwayne's reminded me. I'm in the UK, so I had to wait ages for my GPR to come through. It was well worth the wait though, and the GPR UK folk are very friendly, offering to help set it up.

The GPR (US) website reads like it's from a company that's proud of it's product and knows it well. That, coupled with the word-of-mouth recommendations I've had from friends who race with them was what made me choose a GPR.

·
Registered
396 Posts
FYI.......I love the performance of my GP damper on my 06

BUT......In the last 3000 miles I've had to remove and send it off to GP to have it rebuilt two times now. Granted they did it for free, but one of the reasons I bought it was because of the crappy stocker leaking.... headshake

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I just got an Ohlins off ebay. I plan on putting it on this week when it comes. I debated between the Ohlins, GPR, and Hyperpro RSC. Found what looked like a good deal on Ebay and went with it. The Hyperpro you can get in diff. colors which is nice too just like the GPR. I don't like the look of the roatary dampers as much so that kept me away from GPR and Scotts. The RSC is supposed to be good and I've heard great reviews. (I believe they consider the only "active" damper meaning it will adjust depending on the speed and the steering inputs it gets...say going slow it will be easier to turn and is you go quicker and if you run into a headshake it "automatically" adjusts to this so you have light steering going slow and heavy the quicker...at least this seems like the simplest way to explain it.) You'll spend a little more than a GPR though and Ohlins a good amount more unless you can find a used one like I did.

What it all boils down to IMO is any damper is better than no damper as long as it's made by a reputable (sp?) company.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why hasnt anyone stated the obvious? If you are getting bad headshake taking the bike past 130mph then it seems that there is something wrong with your bike.

Look at the following:

• Suspension settings
  • Front tyre wear (unlikely on a bike with the mileage you have)
  • Steering head bearing loose? (again unlikely but possible)
  • Riding style.
I take my bike past 130mph, and ride on fairly bumpy roads and I dont have a steering damper/stabiliser. Yeah I get a bit of a wobble every now and then but nothing that I would call headshake.

I also found that the OEM fitment dunlops arent the best, maybe a change in front tyre might make things better for you? Would be cheaper investigating the causes of your problem rather than spending money on a damper straight up.

If I could afford it I would probably get one as a bit of insurance, but to say the 10R definitely needs one, hmm not sure about that.. More weight over the front and smoother on the throttle works for me :wink:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ive used hyperpro rcs on my last 3 bikes i love them never had a prob:thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok then why have i read a TON of posts saying it was a design flaw of the bike 04-05 they all do it around 130 so i hear, and thats why kawi put it on stock in 06 cause they realized they messed up...or overlooked it anyhow. My suspension is still factory settings and i'm barely on the throttle when its happening ...maybe our terminology is different but what i call headshake is my handlebars feeling a bit unstable and wobbly i had an 02 zx6 and had it in excess of 170 alot and never felt what i feel on this bike. your tire theory ...maybe but doubtfull but thanks for the input i love it all good or bad :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just because you read a ton of posts saying it was a design flaw doesnt make it so. A lot of people throw a damper on their bike when a simple setup of their suspension or tyre change can do wonders.

My bike doesnt do it all and ive had it over 130mph many times. I have never heard of anyone getting the wobbles on their 10R at a certain speed. I only get it when accelerating hard or upon hitting bumps/undulations in the road - but hey it is a sportsbike after all!

I agree dampers are a good idea but it sounds like there may be something else at work here and it's probably worth investigating.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Ok then why have i read a TON of posts saying it was a design flaw of the bike 04-05 they all do it around 130 so i hear, and thats why kawi put it on stock in 06 cause they realized they messed up...or overlooked it anyhow. My suspension is still factory settings and i'm barely on the throttle when its happening ...maybe our terminology is different but what i call headshake is my handlebars feeling a bit unstable and wobbly i had an 02 zx6 and had it in excess of 170 alot and never felt what i feel on this bike. your tire theory ...maybe but doubtfull but thanks for the input i love it all good or bad :cool:
What you heard is crap. I have an 04, without damper, and it is rock solid up to 270kph. Check your suspension, tyres rim runout etc

1 - 20 of 33 Posts