Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installation was fairly straightforward. See here for a review of the shock.

You will first need to remove the fuel tank.

You also want to remove the foot guard off the footpeg bracket on both sides to make access easier.

To remove the OEM shock and install a new one, you will need the following tools:

1. Two floor jacks to place under the footpeg to raise the bike and take the weight off the swingarm. This is assuming you have a non-foldable foot pegs. If you have stock footpegs, you need to figure out a different way to lift the bike.

2. A torque wrench.

3. A 14mm socket, a 14mm wrench and an extension bit.

4. I also used a 32 mm socket on the rear axle nut and a breaker bar to maneuver the swingarm to align the holes and make it easier to remove/reinstall the stock bolts (see video).

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Step 1 (after removing the fuel tank) is to loosen and remove the upper and lower stock mounting bolts. For the lower bolt, you will need the extension bit. Even after the nuts are removed, you will find that it's a bit difficult to push the bolts out. I used a 32 mm socket on the rear axle nut and used a breaker bar for leverage to move the swingarm up and down...the bolts come right out (see video above).

Note: I borrowed the first picture from Suburban Rancher's Untamed Velocity thread because I forgot to take pictures of the stock setup before I removed the stock bolts. So, big thanks to Suburban Rancher.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Maneuver the new shock into place, align the holes using the leverage method per video, and push the upper and lower bolts through the holes and thread the nuts. The shorter bolt is the upper bolt.

But do not tighten yet.

Get the bike off the fixed jacks and allow the shock to take some load.

Now put the bike back on the rear stand (not the jacks) and tighten the bolts to 34 Nm (25 ft-lbs).

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The mechatronic shock comes with its own ECU, which is placed under the rear seat. Routing of the supplied cables is pretty easy. A diagnostic plug plugs into its counterpart socket under the rear seat. Everything is pretty straightforward.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Ohlins comes with its own remote preload adjuster. I mounted the preload adjuster to the passenger footpeg on the right, as recommended. However, this will soon need to be changed as I plan to eventually remove the footpegs for racing purposes.

That's pretty much it. Haven't tested it or anything so I don't know how good this is going to be compared to stock...but most folks who've used it, including Ken Hill from YCRS, like it. If it's good enough for Ken, it's probably going to be good enough for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I hope you enjoy the new shock.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Neat! Do tell us your feedback after test
Done about 1k kms now on mine. Also had the front fork oil replaced, level raised and the forks dropped 4mm in the triple clamp. No rear link changes.

It's like riding a completely different bike. On rails. Pointed. Precise. Predictable.

Very, very happy :mrgreen:

A.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Done about 1k kms now on mine. Also had the front fork oil replaced, level raised and the forks dropped 4mm in the triple clamp. No rear link changes.

It's like riding a completely different bike. On rails. Pointed. Precise. Predictable.

Very, very happy :mrgreen:

A.
Awesome. Good encouragement for me.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Quick tip for anyone trying to do it.

If you have stock rearsets you can flip the pegs over so they wont fold when loaded from the bottom.

I also usually put the bike on the rear stand, put jack stands under the pegs, remove the stand then you can remove the shock.

Great write up though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bspeed do you have a pic of the reb/comp wire routing from the shock? Those wires are pretty close to the chain. If you can post a pic I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Sorry but did you not have the bike on a center stand? Or have it jacked up in the middle? It looks like you did this with the bike on the wheel stands.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry but did you not have the bike on a center stand? Or have it jacked up in the middle? It looks like you did this with the bike on the wheel stands.
I had it jacked up in the middle (see video in first post). After the preliminary work was done, I had it on pitbul stands.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
^Ok thanks. I was thinking how is this possible lol!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I read a magazine review about this new electronic shock and they said they would rather have it electronically adjusting but with 2 modes. One for track and one for street, their feeling was that it could soften out more for the street and needs to be stiffer for track. They said they would rather have a normal ohlins shock for the track...

Anyone with experience with both shocks on the same bike?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have been running the EC shock with Kyle linkage for a while, and it did seem a little harsh on the street. I started thinking about it and switched the power and TC down 1 level and it made a noticeable difference.

I haven't had the chance to track ride yet, but am going to Chuckwalla this Friday!

I wonder about the EC shock damping effectiveness on stock link Vs Kyle (or others). I have read revalving the Std TTX is recommended with the link.....

I only have about 1426 total miles, about 800 with shock and linkage. The front and rear are doing different things in a corner. Made one adjustment to the fork spring/damping and it got better. Shock length is as delivered, have a 6mm spacer on top shock mount, think I will need to add more ride height.

Found a set of complete wheels with N-Tecs already on..... for $150, yes $150 on craigslist!! damn dude had no idea what that was worth, said it was from a storage auction, sometimes you get lucky!!! I been looking for months..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts