Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the OEM rear shock spring rate?
I got 2 different answers from K-Tech, no answer from Ohlins, and no help from Kawi.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Most places do not care what the OEM rate is because the only thing that matters is what rate works for X weight range. The OEM spring rate in that context is completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
169 Posts
& there you have it... If you weigh 120-140 lbs in gear the OEM spring will be perfect for you!
Hi. Never thought much about this hence curious. What would be the ideal spring rate for my 200lbs frame then? What are the benefits then of this change and cant it be done by tuning the suspension around the stock spring itself?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
200 without gear, would require a 105Nm spring on a Gen 5 for general riding. Pro Racers with a perfect laser focused lap record setup are usually about 1/2 step lower in rate.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi. Never thought much about this hence curious. What would be the ideal spring rate for my 200lbs frame then? What are the benefits then of this change and cant it be done by tuning the suspension around the stock spring itself?
I have a stock shock with 110Nm spring on it if your interested...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
nice to know I have a nitron in my gen4, (and needs service) and I was thinking to transform to gen5 (I have the links in a box from various deals) and was thinking to buy a gen5 shock use in the mean time (Im from DR and all those travels take time), so if I go to gen5 shock will need a 100NM (Im 180 no gear).........

options options options... money money money

·
Registered
707 Posts
With the Gen 5 shock calibrated to a longer OEM swingarm, the lower leverage of a 4th gen swingarm would effectively lower the required rate a little wouldn't it? How much would 15mm of swingarm length change that base requirement?

I know somebody who's running that mixed 4th/5th gen set up and is 190lbs (hint: it's me!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts