Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up this 08 ZX10R (Ins Writeoff) for the track.

I have the sag set on front & back. 25 - 30 mm back. 33 (ish) mm front.

How far will these forks travel before bottoming out. Will the fork seal dust cover touch the bottom of the fork slider.? Under heavy braking the nylon tie I put on my slider is 1" 1/8 from the bottom of the sider. Have a bottomed these forks out. Or do I have another 1 1/8 of travel?

NOTE: My Ohlin's will use the full fork travel. This is why I have to ask this question.

Thanx in advance. JDS

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Like this.

1st Pic: from the Duc, after a race a few weeks ago. I like the way these forks feel (I do brake hard)

2nd Pic: from the 10, after yesterdays track day( 7 clicks from full compression. Cold day)

3rd pic: From a extra set on OEM forks off my 06 636. I compressed them till they bottomed.

Someone told me that some forks bottom before shown travel.

I am going to assume that the 08 ZX10 has more travel. I guess less compression should be applied.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am setting up this 08 ZX10R (Ins Writeoff) for the track.

I have the sag set on front & back. 25 - 30 mm back. 33 (ish) mm front.

How far will these forks travel before bottoming out. Will the fork seal dust cover touch the bottom of the fork slider.? Under heavy braking the nylon tie I put on my slider is 1" 1/8 from the bottom of the sider. Have a bottomed these forks out. Or do I have another 1 1/8 of travel?

NOTE: My Ohlin's will use the full fork travel. This is why I have to ask this question.

Thanx in advance. JDS

25.5 mm to the bottom of the dust shield anymore then that and its bottomed out.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^ Nope. Cant be. 25.5 mm is only 2.5 cm which is very close to a inch.
I get a 139 mm(5.5 ")of travel fully extended from the end of the dust cap to the bottom end of the slider.

I will figure it out the next time I take the bike out.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I measured back ride height with rear shock extended. I measured fork travel length with front wheel off the ground. I set the sag with me on the bike. I am 210 lbs ish with full gear.

I guess I could just look up the specs for this bike & see if they say it has 5.5" of front fork travel. doh. Then I would know if the dust caps would come close to touching the bottom of the fork on full race braking.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I get a 139 mm(5.5 ")of travel fully extended from the end of the dust cap to the bottom end of the slider.

no what I am saying is from the bottom end of the slider up 25.5 mm is the bottom out point, so if you measure up from the bottom of the slider/fork tube 25.5 mm and put a zip tie go out and ride and you hit the zip tie then you have bottomed out the fork.

full travel on the fork is I think 4.5 or 4.7 inches I don't have the race kit manual in front of me right now to look it up.

·
Registered
677 Posts

ok so 139mm -25.5mm = 113.5mm = 4.5 inches of travel. You might have a tenth or 2 more because of top out spring affecting your fully extended measurement though. You do not want to run the forks dust cap all the way down to the bottom, Acually I don't think you can anyway since that would be like an inch beyond bottomed out:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
So Your saying in pic. #2 he's pretty much bottomed out due to where zip tie is correct? I was wondering about this too because thats about where mine goes to under hard braking/front wheel off ground.I thought I wasnt using all the fork cuz I was to light 150 no gear but guess not.My 01 gsxr 1000 the zip tie would get to about 10mm from bottom.Good thing to know! Thx!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts