Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody clean and re-oil the stock air filter? i'v search the forum but didn't see any.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
No that's what you do to a K&N.

Stock you can blow off with compressed air but no oil, it's paper not gauze.

Buy a new one once you've done the work to get to it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is oil on there. i'll be getting an oil kit give it a try. seems kind of waste even for $30 new one. getting to it is not a problem at all for me.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
If you use a K&N kit and use the cleaner with water on the stock filter you will have a bad day, and what Pongo said.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
if there is oil on your stock filter you may want to set-up an appointment at the local kawasaki dealer...you have a problem.. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okok.. i dont mean the engine oil. i did buy a new filter and it has oil on it, dont konw what kind. i figure i could use whatever oil kit for air filter available in store to re-oil after cleaning. i'll need more info.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
busaforhire said:
if there is oil on your stock filter you may want to set-up an appointment at the local kawasaki dealer...you have a problem.. :mrgreen:
:crackup: :mrgreen:

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
It's probably not a good idea to blow out the stock filter with compressed air. You can clean the big stuff out a little by hitting it against something solid. Inertia will cause the big stuff to fall out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Kuzco is correct about the stock filter being oiled. It even comes sealed in a plastic bag to keep the oil in place. As far as cleaning it is concerned don't wash it. Maybe try hitting it with some compressed air and a small brush to get some of the more stubborn debris. After the compressed air the filter will probably be dry as a bone so there is where the filter oil will come in handy. My mechanic said that he normally does this when a bike comes in for routine service and the filter is just slightly dirty. If it is really trashed get a new one. 30 bucks is cheap.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
swjohnsey said:
The oil on the stock filter is not on the paper it is on the foam sealing strips that surround the paper.
i took a look again, touch it, feel it. it's on the paper. the original is dirty but not out of shape or trash. just seems like a waste to toss it.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I just had mine out. Had about 3,000 miles on it so it was in pretty good shape. Mine had no oil on the paper only oil on the foam sealing strips.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
If the stock filter is 30 bucks than splurge the extra 10 for the K&N and you can oil it all you want.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Andy said:
If the stock filter is 30 bucks than splurge the extra 10 for the K&N and you can oil it all you want.
I heard using a K&N robs some of those pretty little ponys in there.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Seems people have dynoed this bike and found stock filter is better than BMC or K&N.
Hard to believe but they've shown the graphs.
I've always had good luck with K&N but will probably just use stock on this bike. At least you don't have to clean, dry and oil when you just replace stock.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
swjohnsey said:
The oil on the stock filter is not on the paper it is on the foam sealing strips that surround the paper.

My stock OEM filter is deffinately oil soaked. Just like a K&N. I doubt you could wash it like a K&N though.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
Seems people have dynoed this bike and found stock filter is better than BMC or K&N.
Hard to believe but they've shown the graphs.
I've always had good luck with K&N but will probably just use stock on this bike. At least you don't have to clean, dry and oil when you just replace stock.

Yeah but the point is you still have to replace it... I buy K&N just for the fact I can reuse it

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Louks03 said:
Yeah but the point is you still have to replace it... I buy K&N just for the fact I can reuse it
I hear ya- my 900rr has a K&N now.

Almost every other dirt or streetbike I've owned has gotten one too.

I may get tired of replacing and go K&N on the ZX for that reason, but I was just looking at the bright side of paying to replace stock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts