Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be on a thread already running, but, I couldn't find it, so... just what I found at 7,000 miles of riding in clean mountain air on nice days (I mean can it get any less demanding on an air filter, that the Kawi manual says is good for 12,000 miles unless dusty/dirty conditions require shorter maintenance periods?).

I can't post pictures to show how dirt impregnated and crusty this filter was, but trust me, it was a shocker that would say, check your filter at closer to 3,000 miles.

I had already picked up a K&N so I can clean my own, (I live extremely remote, and have to do my own service, and have everything on hand)

Anyway, before loking at the air filter, there were a few times when the performance felt less than it had been, and after seeing the filter it wasn't a wonder where the performance went to. Now it's back baby :thumbsup:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
:werd:

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
dude you shouldve search air filters prior to buying the k&n. bmc race or stock is the only way to go. granted the power difference those 3 will ever make on the street you would never really notice, k&n filters put out less power over the stock. the bmc is the way to go for after market filters.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I've got a brand new stock filter sitting in the box waiting to be installed with the rest of the mods on the way.

Can't wait till everything gets here so I can put the new filter in and see what a difference it made.

It would be nice to change everything out individually so I can see what improvement each thing made but don't feel like stripping the bike apart several times to do it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There isn't anything wrong with a new (clean) OEM filter, Kawi (or any other of the market competitors) in their struggle to market the highest HP figures to the masses that use numbers as a buying decision, wouldn't give up power to an air filter. Problemo is "clean" and cost of replacements.

Actually hesaves, The K&N is my best choice, because, the Kragan auto parts store in town was able to get it for me. You have no idea where I live and how I buy, so city boy rules don't apply to me, and, as long as the 10 puts out, without a loss, there is no such thing as I could have more with a BMC race filter. If I were racing you would have a point, but I'm not, so You don't.
Could be that a Stock new filter will show better than a freshly serviced K&N, I have no way to check/measure that, but it doesn't matter (on the 10, on the street) just as long as the big loss of the dirty OEM filter (which happens all too soon, and the point of this thread, doesn't come into play).

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
you are right were not racing. i was just stating by dyno results in order from best to worst, give or take 1-2hp, that bmc put forth more than k&n which surprisingly was lower than stock. if i were to go back knowing what i know now i wouldnt have saved me the cash i spent on a performance filter and went stock.
oh and dont throw that city boy shit at me chief! you dont know where i ride. you think that the pocono's dont offer the "clean mountain air on nice days"? im all over the tri-state. i check my filter every 1,000 miles which i recommend everyone to do.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I've got a brand new stock filter sitting in the box waiting to be installed with the rest of the mods on the way.

Can't wait till everything gets here so I can put the new filter in and see what a difference it made.

It would be nice to change everything out individually so I can see what improvement each thing made but don't feel like stripping the bike apart several times to do it.
Yup the OEM filter is as good as it gets bar none ( with the only downside being its not reusable like the others)

BD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts