Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Brand new to the site, and fairly new to riding again after not having a bike for so long. Currently loving my 2006 ZX10R but noticed the distance being tracked on my odometer is further than that tracked by our family vehicles. Speeds display faster than actual as well. Example: 80 kmh when vehicle ahead is doing 70. I checked tire sizes and seem to be ok. Would anyone else have an opinion on what else could cause this?

While i appreciate any and all input, I'm quite out of my league when speaking mechanically.

·
Registered
127 Posts
>> gearing <<

NBGARY <> As 4012, is alluding to, the gearing in your bike has most likely been altered by a sprocket(s) change. This is typically done by adding a larger rear or smaller front [sprocket] to increase acceleration rates. You can inspect your sprockets for a stamp that often states the amount of teeth. When this is done, it tricks your speedometer into thinking the bike is moving faster than it really is. There is a product known a SpeedoHealer that can correct this calculation.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,390 Posts
:welcome:

Yes, the older models get the speed reference off of the countershaft. It calculates the speed of the bike based on the engine speed. So if your final drive gearing is different than stock, the calculations are out-to-lunch. Rev the motor higher and the speed and mileage go up as a result. There is also a safety factor built into that and the speed will be higher than accurate than the mileage shows by about 8% or so. But if you're seeing higher mileage along with the speeds, then your gearing and/or tire size is different than stock. You'd need a Speedohealer type device connected to allow you to make changes to that as mentioned above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts