Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the weather warms up a little, I noticed my exhaust is sometimes popping (afterfiring?) like once or maybe twice in real quick succession if I use the quick shifter (sounds cool). I have an auto-tune running with AFR set to 13. Also, my exhaust burbles if I maintain current speed (I think this is fine, and is just air pockets or pressure differences?). Exhaust does not burble or pop when decelerating (this is good). I'm concerned if I am running too lean.

Any tuning advice here would be great. I know what I said is oversimplifying it, but if I gave enough info, can anyone tell me that I am fine, and not to worry about it, or fix your AFR if you want to keep your valves.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You're fine.. it's what it sounds like when you use a QS because of how it works.

Plus for all you know, you could be rich lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You're fine.. it's what it sounds like when you use a QS because of how it works.

Plus for all you know, you could be rich lol
If I were super lean, I'd be hearing my exhaust crackle and pop and maybe even see flames on deceleration, yes? My exhaust would NOT smell like gas - something different? I'd see grayish/white residue around and partially inside my exhaust tip?

Guess I'm trying to understand symptoms of lean vs rich condition.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If I were super lean, I'd be hearing my exhaust crackle and pop and maybe even see flames on deceleration, yes? My exhaust would NOT smell like gas - something different? I'd see grayish/white residue around and partially inside my exhaust tip?

Guess I'm trying to understand symptoms of lean vs rich condition.
The answer to your questions are.. maybe

Flames on decell has mostly nothing to do with whether or not your fueling is correct or not and much more to do with a bunch of other stuff.

What auto tune setup do you have? And you have it set to 30? Can you elaborate as to what that means?

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
yes, a bit rich but np for me; I notice this with hard downhill w/chop in combination with CA summer crap fuel. Plugs still burn clean, though. Graves can with no other changes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The answer to your questions are.. maybe

Flames on decell has mostly nothing to do with whether or not your fueling is correct or not and much more to do with a bunch of other stuff.

What auto tune setup do you have? And you have it set to 30? Can you elaborate as to what that means?
Honestly I don't know why I said 30, I meant to say 13.

I have FTECU active tune with live correction mode. AFR target is set to 13.0 in all cells beginning at 5,500 RPMs and 28% throttle, all the way to 16000 RPMs at 100% throttle. It's the default AFR target map that comes with active tune. Not sure if the AFR targets are correct for this bike.

Furthermore, there is another map called AF_Delay - compounding rate(ms). Not sure what this is, guessing something to do with where the wideband controller is installed?

I have not messed with either maps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope so. I didn't realize how quickly an 02 sensor can go out of spec (bosch wideband). Manufacture recommends checking or calibrating every oil change (3000 miles?).

Based on this I'm wondering if I should leverage this wideband sensor to autotune and save offsets to a stock unrestricted map, instead of using a locked pre-made map in live correction mode?

I imagine the pre-made map is way better than a stock unrestricted map. I would think the pre-made has a number of bits and pieces adjusted that an unrestricted map does not. I don't know.

Any idea? I'm using FTECU.

Yes I was lurking on this forum for a while and realize Woolich is preferred. I almost went with them except I was not impressed with the community maps (and lack of any local woolich tuners). The logbox pro is only a log box and not an auto-tune. It would have been awesome to get auto-blip for free, and not to mention all the other awesome stuff Woolich has implemented, but alas, it is what it is. I have FTECU, and active tune.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts