Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have an '07 that on occasion (not every time, but usually several times a ride) will hold a high idle around 4k rpms after a full throttle pull. I am usually able to clear the high idle with a few firm revs, then it acts completely normal until the next time it has the issue.

No binding of cables or idle screw issues. My first thought is something is going on with the secondary throttle plate actuator or something similar. Any thoughts on what else to look for or how to further troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Last year I was experiencing the same thing you're going through, it was intermittently happening so it was frustrating as I couldn't replicate it every single time.

Here's what I've did so far and haven't had any issues lately.

1st. I tried lubing and adjusting cables. This didn't seem to help as the hanging idle continued to occur.

2nd. I replaced throttle cables with new OEM ones. I should note here that I had the rifleman throttle insert that had been installed for over 3 or 4 years without any issues. After lubing the new cables and installing them, my dumbass fubar'd the threads on the adjustment for the new cables and I could not adjust them to how they needed to be to compensate for the rifleman throttle insert. Idle would still hang occasionally.

3rd. I said f'it and went big and bought the motion pro revolver throttle kit. This kit replaced everything throttle wise. Since installing this kit, I have not had the issue anymore *knock on wood*.

I believe my idle was hanging due to worn/stretched cables. I also thought at one point it was the throttle bodies as I've read a few posts on here with other 2nd Gen owners having the same problem and it turned out to be their throttlebodies. I am glad it wasn't in my case because last time getting the throttlebodies back on kicked my ass lol.

Keep us updated as it'll help members in the future.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. The throttle cables seem to be clear to me and operate freely in both the push and pull (open/close) directions. I'll give it another look though. I think I'll check the throttle body clamps too to make sure there are not any leaks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts