Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all.

Firstly, if this has been asked before, and/or I'm posting this in the wrong section, then sincerest apologies. First post, total noob (to my credit, I did search first, though!)

I got my Gen 5 a couple months back and I want to know if they have an OBD port somewhere? Obviously the tech guys can plug the KTS in somewhere, but is there something that I can use myself? Most cars these days have them and they're pretty easily accessible.

Reason for asking: I have a Garmin VIRB XE camera which can have data overlays on the finished video (speed, GPS etc.) It also has the option of connecting via Bluetooth to a dongle attached to an OBD port. Thus giving the option for more data overlays on the final video!

So... if there is one somewhere around, can someone let me know?

Thanks (in advance),

- Shawn

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,566 Posts
Welcome!

Nope, unfortunately there isn't an OBD port to plug into. Just recently the bikes have gone to a CANbus serial system for sensors and data, but an automotive style OBD connector is not on the bike. The KDS connector is in the tail section, but it's not anything like the OBDII ports on cars, nor is the data stream standard.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,566 Posts
On the '16 model gen 5 the answer is YES, but you need an adapter cable. Here's one, and you can clear fault codes with a scan tool too:

FTEcu ZX10 KDS to OBDII Diagnotic Harness Adapter 2016

Well shit. Guess I should modify my response. Natively there is no OBD port on the bike though. That adaptor harness will work for clearing error codes, but does it work for capturing the other data stream info? Not sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, guys!

I doubt I need to clear error codes any time soon (lol), but I do love a good gadget, so I might get one anyway!
Also, I just learned that it's a 'KDS' and not a 'KTS'.

It's been a productive day so far!

Thanks again (I'm glad I joined up!)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well shit. Guess I should modify my response. Natively there is no OBD port on the bike though. That adaptor harness will work for clearing error codes, but does it work for capturing the other data stream info? Not sure.
Yes, you can stream real time data. If you have a Bluetooth or wifi scanner device you can use your smartphone as the reader. Mount your phone on the handlebar and see it all happening while you ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'll invest the bucks and buy the Diagnostic Harness Adapter, and get myself a OBD dongle... and see what happens!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

:)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can u put the obd2 adapter on the 2011 zx10r. Everywhere show 16 and up but if i remember right i seen a post where someone had put one on a 2011 but i can find that post again for nothin

·
Registered
62 Posts
@jrzx10r

All the Kawi 4 pins are the same. It's been a few years since I was at a Kawi dealership so I can't remember exactly which are 4 and which are 6. But if you have a 4 pin diagnostic plug it will work with the same adaptor as the Gen5.

PS: Working on the 6 pin over the next few months. Just need to get some more testing in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts