Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 17 10r last week coming from a 21 6R. I noticed on the 10r that the o2 bung is located past the catalytic converter. On my 6R is was located before the cat. Is this correct…see pic of 10r.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,705 Posts
That is correct.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you think that is the catalytic converter your are mistaken. The catalytic converter is located after the O2 Sensor. The picture you posted does not have the catalytic converter in it.

Here is a pic of the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks…so the cat is located on the prechamber box on the gen 5 10r. I was under the impression it was located in the headers such as my 6r where I had to drill and chisel it out.

It appears that a tune is needed then since the cat is removed, making the exhaust a full system. I purchased it used and today when I looked under the seat I noticed a yellow wire/plug that looks like remnants of a woolich tune kit but there’s no woolich usb box to be found. Does the stock narrowband o2 sensor on these bikes compensate enough for the prechamber/cat removal or is a fuel remapping necessary. It has a link pipe with Leo Vince can on it.

Also is there anyway to tell if the bike still has a modified ecu flash? Maybe the previous owner flashed it back to the stock ecu parameters before selling it to the dealership.

I do know that I can access the Race dash mode and it appears that I have the ability to downshift without using the clutch. I’m scheduled to have it tuned Wednesday and don’t want to pay for a service that’s not needed.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,705 Posts
On the Gen 5, the platinum honeycomb catalytic converter is in the header. The premuffler chamber box is just for noise suppression.

That plug you reference is not a Woolich plug for any of their tuning stuff that I've ever seen. The logbox uses a white molex connector with multiple wires in the harness.

And no, the stock narrowband O2 sensor can't adjust very well for drastic changes. Even if it could, it wouldn't matter. The O2 sensor would be trying to trim the fuel back to the stock map defeating the purpose of swapping out anything in the exhaust. It needs to be tuned and the O2 sensor bypassed so it runs open-loop with the fueling changed for that exhaust. Or it needs a wideband O2 sensor that can make broader adjustments for the exhaust changes.

Reactions: belkins

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks…so the cat is located on the prechamber box on the gen 5 10r. I was under the impression it was located in the headers such as my 6r where I had to drill and chisel it out.

It appears that a tune is needed then since the cat is removed, making the exhaust a full system. I purchased it used and today when I looked under the seat I noticed a yellow wire/plug that looks like remnants of a woolich tune kit but there’s no woolich usb box to be found. Does the stock narrowband o2 sensor on these bikes compensate enough for the prechamber/cat removal or is a fuel remapping necessary. It has a link pipe with Leo Vince can on it.

Also is there anyway to tell if the bike still has a modified ecu flash? Maybe the previous owner flashed it back to the stock ecu parameters before selling it to the dealership.

I do know that I can access the Race dash mode and it appears that I have the ability to downshift without using the clutch. I’m scheduled to have it tuned Wednesday and don’t want to pay for a service that’s not needed.

View attachment 448668
I thought it was in the big box after the O2. Looks like it is in the header pipe. Sorry for the misinformation.

The plug does look like the woolich extension harness.

Bike is probably tuned/flashed but like you said he could of flashed it back to factory if you bought it from a dealership. Sucks you can't contact the original owner to find out.

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the Gen 5, the platinum honeycomb catalytic converter is in the header. The premuffler chamber box is just for noise suppression.

That plug you reference is not a Woolich plug for any of their tuning stuff that I've ever seen. The logbox uses a white molex connector with multiple wires in the harness.

And no, the stock narrowband O2 sensor can't adjust very well for drastic changes. Even if it could, it wouldn't matter. The O2 sensor would be trying to trim the fuel back to the stock map defeating the purpose of swapping out anything in the exhaust. It needs to be tuned and the O2 sensor bypassed so it runs open-loop with the fueling changed for that exhaust. Or it needs a wideband O2 sensor that can make broader adjustments for the exhaust changes.
Thanks. So the the narrowband stock O2 sensor on Gen 5‘s is located after the cat which is located in the header?

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I thought it was in the big box after the O2. Looks like it is in the header pipe. Sorry for the misinformation.

As far the the plug it does look like the woolich extension harness.

Bike is probably tuned but like you said he could of flashed it back to factory if you bought it from a dealership. Sucks you can't contact the original owner to find out.
Exactly….I’m running blind not knowing if it’s been flashed or not. Like I mentioned I‘m already scheduled to have my ecu flashed Wednesday for $250 and could absolutely save that money if I’m sure it’s already been flashed.

correction: I don’t have the race dash mode but I’m able to downshift without clutching. Is this indicative of a flashed ECM. I wish it was more simple to determine if a bike is running a flashed ecu. Head banging…lol

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,705 Posts

As far the the plug it does look like the woolich extension harness.

Bike is probably tuned but like you said he could of flashed it back to factory if you bought it from a dealership. Sucks you can't contact the original owner to find out.
Good post! It is the Woolich extension harness. Must've been added later on as I don't have that with my logox and 13a harness. Logbox plugs directly into the molex on the 13a and I don't need an extension for that. That may be to allow the Zeitronix unit to connect for autotuning. I don't have the autotune stuff, just the standard kit with logbox.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Exactly….I’m running blind not knowing if it’s been flashed or not. Like I mentioned I‘m already scheduled to have my ecu flashed Wednesday for $250 and could absolutely save that money if I’m sure it’s already been flashed.
I would say get out and ride it and see how she runs. If she runs great without issues save your money on the flash. If she is not running right then having someone check over the flash or reflash would be a good thing to invest in.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Good post! It is the Woolich extension harness. Must've been added later on as I don't have that with my logox and 13a harness. Logbox plugs directly into the molex on the 13a and I don't need an extension for that. That may be to allow the Zeitronix unit to connect for autotuning. I don't have the autotune stuff, just the standard kit with logbox.
I don't have that wire either on my gen 4 woolich. I have the logbox/zeitronix kit. Says it is used to tune additional bikes.

Reactions: SkyDork

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would say get out and ride it and see how she runs. If she runs great without issues save your money on the flash. If she is not running right then having someone check over the flash or reflash would be a good thing to invest in.
It runs magnificent with the exception of the 1st gear off throttle jerkiness which I’ve read is normal with this bike. However my concern is that I don’t want to be running lean blindly. I did so more research and found out that the the cat is indeed located in the silencer box, so that’s why I’m more concerned about a fueling tune or if it’s already been tuned to compensate for the cat removal. Don’t want to damage the motor by running too lean.

Since it already has a woolich ECU cable attached I think I’m just going to order the woolich flash kit($426.00) and do my own flash just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It runs magnificent with the exception of the 1st gear off throttle jerkiness which I’ve read is normal with this bike. However my concern is that I don’t want to be running lean blindly. I did so more research and found out that the the cat is indeed located in the silencer box, so that’s why I’m more concerned about a fueling tune or if it’s already been tuned to compensate for the cat removal. Don’t want to damage the motor by running too lean.

Since it already has a woolich ECU cable attached I think I’m just going to order the woolich flash kit($426.00) and do my own flash just to be on the safe side.
It will probably take some time getting used to that 1st gear throttle jerkiness.

@SkyDork said the cat is located in the header. He is pretty knowledgeable about these bikes.

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It will probably take some time getting used to that 1st gear throttle jerkiness.

@SkyDork said the cat is located in the header. He is pretty knowledgeable about these bikes.
Okay I’ll take this as a given. So the o2 sensor is downstream to cat? I was under the impression that the o2 sensor would be upstream to the cat.

BTW….I just ordered the woolich flash kit and will dive into flashing it myself. I figured why pay $250 for a one time flash when I can pony up a few more dollars and make as many changes as I like for no additional cost.

Reactions: michael4012

·
Registered
479 Posts
Okay I’ll take this as a given. So the o2 sensor is downstream to cat? I was under the impression that the o2 sensor would be upstream to the cat.

BTW….I just ordered the woolich flash kit and will dive into flashing it myself. I figured why pay $250 for a one time flash when I can pony up a few more dollars and make as many changes as I like for no additional cost.
From what skydork is saying is the O2 sensor is located after the cat. As the cat is in the header pipe just before the O2 Sensor? I am no exhaust expert though as I thought the cat was in the pre muffler/silencer box.. =P

Suppose best way to find out is take the link pipe/exhaust off and look inside the header pipe with a flash light and you will see the honeycomb cat.

You will be happy with woolich. Great investment if you like to tinker with your own bike.

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From what skydork is saying is the O2 sensor is located after the cat. As the cat is in the header pipe just before the O2 Sensor? I am no exhaust expert though as I thought the cat was in the pre muffler/silencer box.. =P

Suppose best way to find out is take the link pipe/exhaust off and look inside the header pipe with a flash light and you will see the honeycomb cat.

You will be happy with woolich. Great investment if you like to tinker with your own bike.
Thanks….my confusion just comes from me chiseling and hammering out the cat on my 2021 zX6R and noticing the O2 sensor was before the cat in the header pipes. Even had to weld a hole in the header to accommodate the 18MM (stock was 12mm) o2 sensor bung that came with the Dynojet Auto Tune kit. Just wondering why the stock o2 placement is different on the 10R. No biggie.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Cat is in the prechamber, not the header for the gen 5.
LoL! I was thinking same thing but I don't own a gen 5 and @SkyDork seems to know a lot more than me. Did some more digging and looking at the service manual for the 2016 zx10r it shows the honeycomb type catalyst in the premuffler/prechamber. So that would put the O2 sensor before the Catalyst.

Reactions: jd41 and SkyDork
1 - 20 of 25 Posts