Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

New to the forums. I've got a 2012 ZX10R (Aus model). Long story short, I prematurely bought a PCV and a yoshi 3/4 R77 without realising the issues involved with o2 sensors etc.

After reading up a bit on the forums, the general consensus seems to be that:
1. you can't run the aussie model gen4s without the stock O2 sensor
2. you can't run the PCV with the stock O2 sensor

I know this has been discussed quite a lot, but I was hoping to get a straight answer to whether or not an O2 optimiser is absolutely necessary to run the PCV properly.

What happens if you continue to run the PCV with the stock o2 sensor & no optimiser? Most people seem to consider this a sin but are we talking losing out on 1-2% of power gains or catastrophic engine failure? Or will my PCV just be a paperweight without the optimiser?

Reason I'm asking is coz I don't want to fork out an extra 100 bux for a tiny gain. I'm a firm believer in value for money lol

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am running pcv with no optimiser. Akra slipon and mid pipe. Servo buddy. Bike runs clean if a little rich. My understanding is the optimiser is required if you wish to dyno tune.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Think I'll be sticking to the premade maps. Already ordered a servo buddy and waiting for it to come in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks mate. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Think I'll be sticking to the premade maps. Already ordered a servo buddy and waiting for it to come in.
Yep. I downloaded the map for my setup and have no issues at all. I am sure it could be tweaked but I am not looking for more power. Lets face it, how many riders can use what the bike already has anyway. I put the pcv and pipe on to get rid of the flat spot when rolling on in a turn. Bingo. Any more messing around with maps won't improve the rider:wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bang,

Like you I am worried of asking this question but I have a similar issue. I have a installed an Akra slip on and I am looking at putting the link pipe on this weekend.

My question is do indeed a PCV if the link pipe has the O2 sensor on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zxrexcellent,

Same here. Only got the PCV so I don't have to go back to the dyno every time I do a mod and so my AFR is kinda what it should be. Even if I eventually decide to go to the track, doubt I'll ever use the full potential off the bike's power let alone needing MORE power..

pbaz,

I believe a tune is recommended if you're planning to install a full system (or 3/4). I know few people who've installed their pipes without PCV and dyno tuned it once then never needed to touch it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. I downloaded the map for my setup and have no issues at all. I am sure it could be tweaked but I am not looking for more power. Lets face it, how many riders can use what the bike already has anyway. I put the pcv and pipe on to get rid of the flat spot when rolling on in a turn. Bingo. Any more messing around with maps won't improve the rider:wink:
So I just installed the exhaust and servo buddy yesterday and used the premade map for the 3/4 yoshi that came with the pcv software. Now when the bike warms up, it idles a bit low and rises and falls 300-400 rpm. Is this the same map you used? Everything else on the bike is stock too.

Bike also seems to run a little rich too. I notice this when rolling of the power the exhaust sometimes gives off a huge pop.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So I just installed the exhaust and servo buddy yesterday and used the premade map for the 3/4 yoshi that came with the pcv software. Now when the bike warms up, it idles a bit low and rises and falls 300-400 rpm. Is this the same map you used? Everything else on the bike is stock too.

Bike also seems to run a little rich too. I notice this when rolling of the power the exhaust sometimes gives off a huge pop.
Sorry for the delayed reply, Bnag. I downloaded the Map for the Akra + slipon, from the PowerCommander web site. The description mentions this is for the std air filter as well.

Mine pops a little on the overrun too. The soot inside the muffler is a rich brown colour so I am guessing it is running a little rich (not a bad thing and better than running a lot lean!)

I am replacing the std air filter with a competition one so it will be interesting to see if the increased airflow changes the behaviour at all.

I will post my results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the delayed reply, Bnag. I downloaded the Map for the Akra + slipon, from the PowerCommander web site. The description mentions this is for the std air filter as well.

Mine pops a little on the overrun too. The soot inside the muffler is a rich brown colour so I am guessing it is running a little rich (not a bad thing and better than running a lot lean!)

I am replacing the std air filter with a competition one so it will be interesting to see if the increased airflow changes the behaviour at all.

I will post my results.
Results would be interesting to see. I was actually thinking along the same lines and went and ordered a new filter last week. Waiting for it to arrive. If that fails, I might get a pro to look at my map and play around with it.

Running rich doesn't bother me as much as the rough idle. Sounds horrible!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have a aussie 2012 zx pow com v full two bothers exhaust kn air oridginal o2 sensor had to mount on link pipe dynod cutom map putting out just under 180hp made it a little richer because im running sunoco race feul(260+gt) no optimizer goes great

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a aussie 2012 zx pow com v full two bothers exhaust kn air oridginal o2 sensor had to mount on link pipe dynod cutom map putting out just under 180hp made it a little richer because im running sunoco race feul(260+gt) no optimizer goes great

So your tuner had no problems tuning your PCV without an o2 optimiser?

Just took my bike to get its 6000k service at my usual shop. The guy noticed the rough idle as well and offered to tune it for me but stated I'd need to also buy an o2 optimiser in order to do it. Not sure if genuine or just trying to squeeze a lil extra money from me.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
No dramas at all dealer races zx10r john phelan kawasaki mornington in victoria aussie if l needed one he would no for sure bike runs and goes well ive been reading alot ov posts about the optimiser and been totally confused as the saying goes if it aint broke dont fix it

·
Registered
90 Posts
Results would be interesting to see. I was actually thinking along the same lines and went and ordered a new filter last week. Waiting for it to arrive. If that fails, I might get a pro to look at my map and play around with it.

Running rich doesn't bother me as much as the rough idle. Sounds horrible!
With the new filter installed the bike feels "crisper" and there is a little less popping on decel. Top end felt a little stronger, perhaps. Pipe is still showing signs of running rich. Jury is still out on the optimiser....

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Mine pops on decel to , so do race bikes too! I would rather have my bike running richer(and is done when dynod) than leaner because if way to lean can damage engine !!! Hav you had a chance to dyno yet? It is the only way to get your bike going well, if the tuner knows what hes doing. I think you live in oz pm your area and if you are close i will hook you up with john from mornington kawasaki, he is a guru on zx10s he races and wins even told me running maxima oils does improve hp did it testing on dynos pm if you like

1 - 15 of 15 Posts