23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
weld an asshole neighbors' car doors shut :thefinger_red:
Maybe.....this thing is Aluminum capable though :idea:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Maybe.....this thing is Aluminum capable though :idea:
Last I checked you need a TIG for aluminum. Been a real long time since I have done any welding. Was pretty good at gas welding, could MIG pretty good as well, and never messed with aluminum on the TIG. Maybe technology has changed?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last I checked you need a TIG for aluminum. Been a real long time since I have done any welding. Was pretty good at gas welding, could MIG pretty good as well, and never messed with aluminum on the TIG. Maybe technology has changed?
I need to buy a Aluminum Spool Gun, then get a Tank for Argon.....then play. :idea: ....I am not a welder but did experiment a few times 6yrs ago... :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
well worth the coin. i got a snapon. little pricey but auto and adjustable so i can use cutting/welding/torches all in the same helmet.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Time to build a streetfighter out of the spare bike! :)
knaw..... never been partial to Streetfighters :wink2:

I am getting closer though but that is the easy part just Buying tools now I have to go play/learn :badteeth: bought a Aluminum Spool Gun, Argon Tank, Auto Darkening Helmet today:

Attachments

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
this is just aluminum to aluminum with a TIG and argon (these are target encapsulation for Uranium targets) Aluminum can be a pain, it transfers heat fast so the "puddle" gets big fast unless you use some kind of heat sink or chills. TIG can be done but you have to feed in aluminum filler rod, or just MIG it.

This is TIG'n Titanium. If you don't do it in a full argon atmosphere, the titanium will mix with nitrogen in the air and become very brittle (and purple)

Just to go all pic whore on your, this is a helical welder made by (or for) Swage-lok. once set up, it will basically lay down a perfect weld on just about anything. I welded 304L and 316 stainless with it.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
this is just aluminum to aluminum with a TIG and argon (these are target encapsulation for Uranium targets) Aluminum can be a pain, it transfers heat fast so the "puddle" gets big fast unless you use some kind of heat sink or chills. TIG can be done but you have to feed in aluminum filler rod, or just MIG it.
Good Stuff Rifleman I would love to work where you do. :notworthy:

I went shopping again today bought a Table. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the Table and Cart built but unfortunately I don't have any real material yet to show I messed up and the gun never had good Argon going to the gun my fault didn't get familiar enough before I started and I started with Aluminum.

Anyway here is a Picture as you can see the 1st Gen ZX10R still looks meaner than any High Roasting Metal Machine. :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this is getting fun have a lot to learn and now know why this is such a specialized skill welding Aluminum it's NOT easy :headshake:

Here is a picture of me playing around with a few settings not good actually bad but that's part of the madness to find the worst settings to get to the best on the welder so this is just starting runs nothing more and learning the equipment. :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
this is getting fun have a lot to learn and now know why this is such a specialized skill welding Aluminum it's NOT easy :headshake:

Here is a picture of me playing around with a few settings not good actually bad but that's part of the madness to find the worst settings to get to the best on the welder so this is just starting runs nothing more and learning the equipment. :wink:
Too much heat and moving too slow! Need to get those nice little dime-stacks! Aluminum is hard though, I never really messed with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts