Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,890 Posts
Well nowadays anything with software has a way to update, it'd be silly of kawasaki to leave motorcycles out of this.
Oh, it will have a way to be updated! But if you're expecting Kawasaki to set up a download link on their website and allow people to just do updates on their own without taking it to a dealer, then you can forget that notion! And incremental new features with changes based on user input won't happen either. Too much time, money, and liability managing stuff like that.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,890 Posts
A TFT looks more modern, the clocks on the Gen4/5 ZX-10R were fine when the Gen4 came out in 2011, they look a little clock-work now. I think I’d prefer an analog tacho and LCD on the side, compared to the current arrangement, so long as they added a nice bright shift light.

But, if done right, like the S1000RR, TFT can bring some serious benefits, but I doubt Kawasaki is about to do that. Like GPS for having street-level nav. Phone integration for music and any other control.

I personally have zero need for phone integration, occasional nav via the phone and TFT on dash would be nice. But I’m not everybody, I see and hear of a LOT of people mounting phones to handle bars, playing music while riding. Not my thing AT ALL, but hey, each to their own, right?

I think TFT CAN be much better than what we have right now, not for doing what we do with it now, (on the ZX-10), but in what MORE you could do with it.

I also personally just think it’s needed to modernize the look fo the bike on the showroom floor to be honest!
I'm with you. Phone is in my pocket, not mounted to the bike in any way!

Nav sounds nice and all. But remember, that has liability issues when people are heads-down trying to see the map and not eyes-up looking at the road. The AIM MXK10 uses GPS. There's a separate GPS antenna mounted to the clip-on, with a cable that plugs into the display. It's used for speed correction and lap timing. There's no turn-by-turn maps that are downloaded or shown. Even if you tried to link a smartphone to it for nav info, you have to provide a connection port for it. USB isn't weather-proof and requires a cable to be plugged in somewhere. Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection points cost more money and complexity, let alone all those "warranty" claims when the connection isn't fast enough or connect the first time. And will it support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto??? These problems can be solved, it just takes money! Someone has to pay for that! There's just no need for something like that on a Sportbike designed for the race track. They make Goldwings with saddlebags for that sort of nonsense! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
918 Posts
They make Goldwings with saddlebags for that sort of nonsense! :ROFLMAO:
Not my cup of tea. I commute on the zx-10r all the time though.

Occasionally being able to connect nav to the bike to get turn by turn directions is amazing, but I would have maybe used it 8 times in 8 years. Or maybe more! If I am going somewhere new I usually take the car because there I can use nav. If I had the option on the bike, I may have used the bike more actually!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Your theory is a good one! In practice, it doesn't work like that. I can guarantee you won't be able to anything on it while moving more than you can now. That's for safety reasons. On the MXK10, once stopped I can go through the menu options to change the traction control settings or power modes that way with a big, nice picture of the bike in full screen. In order to do that, it takes 10 times as many button presses to bring up the menu options, navigate to the menu you want to access, and then make the changes from there. WAYYYY more cumbersome! While the MXK has 4 trip meters that you can enable/disable, resetting them is a royal pain-in-the-ass pressing SEL, down 3 times, SEL, down multiple times to select the trip meter you want, SEL, down to select reset, SEL, up again to Exit, up 3 times to select the normal screen, and SEL to show it. The same applies to the TC menus and power mode changes. That ain't happenin' while moving! You select the TC modes with a single up/down press just like you can now, but it doesn't show anything different on the screen except a quick change on the small number and dashed line under the small icon at the bottom. I think you're expecting more from having a TFT display than you'll actually be getting.

SO to use that display, and change modes and TC it takes more time and effort than oem????
this is important to me...

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2016 ZX10R Race & 2016 ZX10R Street
3,663 Posts
any spy shots yet? I was hoping Kawasaki showed off a race version when WSBK tested last week after last race. They had the old bike out. BMW had the new M1000 out.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts