Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pongo said:
i don't think i would say that this was a "problem for the zx 10r" but one more so for the owner or rider.....lol.....just another example of why you can't trust your life to a 19 year old kid that just completed the motorcycle repairman correspondence course.....that nut should be at least hand tight!!!!:idea: .....check your bike thoroughly if someone else has worked on it!!
As stated by the wise Pongo... I thought I'd start a thread for folks...

I've been racing, and I've needed a couple of things worked on on my bike that I cannot do, so I take it to the dealer that sponsors me.

NOthing against them, but everytime I've taken it there, somethigns been amiss when I get it back. Now, I know all the mechanics there, and I do trust that they are doing the best job that they can...But I am a bit dissapointed that they know Im risking my life on the thing as it is, and I still get it back and Im stuff isnt' "straight".

Now, if youre thinkin, well, I took it to them, cause I aint mechanically inclined. LISTEN UP!

If you take your bike in for say and oil change...when You get it back, let it run for a bit, and look down at your filter. is it leaking? Does it even look like a new filter? Is the oil level right in your sight glass?

Thats just one example, but you see how it doesn't take much sometimes to double check the work. Its gonna be YOU whos back tire gets covered in oil if that filter aint tight...etc.

So the point of this whole post:

***Just double check bolts and things that you know should be checked by your dealer...a manual goes a long way. If the dealers supposed to check chain tension for example, and youre not sure what it should be...post up a question on here. Yes thats simple, and YES you should know that if you ride a bike...and YES, you'll prolly get flamed for asking a simple question thats been asked SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE...BUT, if you cant find what youre lookin for in a SEARCH...its MUCH better to post the question, get flamed a bit, but get your answer!!!***

CHEERS! Ride safe dudes! :ayyy:

Reactions: ZX10Miami

·
Registered
558 Posts
Good advice :thumbsup:

What about someone posting how long each service should take, minor and major at a dealer?

If it should say take 3hrs and it is done in 1hr there maybe something missed out?

Best thing is to get to know your dealer and mechanics

·
Registered
679 Posts
AMEN TO THAT!!!

I won't get into the epic saga that I went thru, but know that Hill is very much on point...

Trust NO.1 with your bike!!

If you can do it, DO IT.. if you can't WATCH.. if an establishment tells you that you can't watch them work on your vehicle because of "insurance reasons" then most times you can watch from just outside of the bay.. bottom line, if someone doesn't want you lookin at what their doin, chances are you need to get your vehicle/bike back and go else where...

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Damn....tis true....every time I took my bike to the "best tuner in Orange county"...it had to go back for some little thing that wasn't right....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very good advice, more of the same. They are not the ones riding your bike, you are. I know who I trust w/ my life, ME.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I hate having to bring my bikes to someone for anythin g other than tire mounting. ..and then I'm considering a tire changer purchase!! ALWAYS, ALWAYS, go over the bike b4 throwing a leg over after a mech touches it!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I work in a car dealership service dept, so I KNOW how stuff can be overlooked, forgotton, so on especially when it is not your own ride. For that reason the only thing I would take my bike to a bike dealer is for a recall, and I would check that too. Not that I'm knocking dealerships, it's just that I'd rather do it myself. As well as had shit happen after returning from a certain suzuki dealer in lex., KY

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
As stated by the wise Pongo... I thought I'd start a thread for folks...

I've been racing, and I've needed a couple of things worked on on my bike that I cannot do, so I take it to the dealer that sponsors me.

NOthing against them, but everytime I've taken it there, somethigns been amiss when I get it back. Now, I know all the mechanics there, and I do trust that they are doing the best job that they can...But I am a bit dissapointed that they know Im risking my life on the thing as it is, and I still get it back and Im stuff isnt' "straight".

Now, if youre thinkin, well, I took it to them, cause I aint mechanically inclined. LISTEN UP!

If you take your bike in for say and oil change...when You get it back, let it run for a bit, and look down at your filter. is it leaking? Does it even look like a new filter? Is the oil level right in your sight glass?

Thats just one example, but you see how it doesn't take much sometimes to double check the work. Its gonna be YOU whos back tire gets covered in oil if that filter aint tight...etc.

So the point of this whole post:

***Just double check bolts and things that you know should be checked by your dealer...a manual goes a long way. If the dealers supposed to check chain tension for example, and youre not sure what it should be...post up a question on here. Yes thats simple, and YES you should know that if you ride a bike...and YES, you'll prolly get flamed for asking a simple question thats been asked SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE...BUT, if you cant find what youre lookin for in a SEARCH...its MUCH better to post the question, get flamed a bit, but get your answer!!!***

CHEERS! Ride safe dudes! :ayyy:
:+1:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
when you take it in show them that there are no scratches or chips in the paint.i took mine in and had a scratch on my front fender and had them replace it. i walked a guy named jon around my bike and told him to point out any noticeable scratches or dent and told him thats how i want it when i get it back. well i picked my bike up with a huge scratch on the fender and they said it was there already. i told them to give jon a call . they replaced it for free.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eric said:
when you take it in show them that there are no scratches or chips in the paint.i took mine in and had a scratch on my front fender and had them replace it. i walked a guy named jon around my bike and told him to point out any noticeable scratches or dent and told him thats how i want it when i get it back. well i picked my bike up with a huge scratch on the fender and they said it was there already. i told them to give jon a call . they replaced it for free.
:lol:

Opps! :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Watch odometer readings too. I have had several friends take their bikes to the stealerships and the odometers had 50+ more miles on it. My buddy had a new (at the time) 02 g1k. He took it in for a minor problem. Well the guy that was test riding it, did a wheelie, set it down crooked, layed the bike down, it bounced off a curb and was totaled. The dealer payed for low kbb (or whatever other source they use). Some other people I have heard about, have left the stealership after an oil change and 2 blocks down the road the bike started knocking. They didn't put oil back in the bike or the drain plug was loose.

I'm glad I have really good friends that own their own shop. I can go in there and work on my bike anytime. It makes it nice when I don't know how to do something, I take it there and the mech (also a very good friend) will walk me through it or will give me a hand with it. I'm lucky and privileged I guess. Funny thing is, this shop is also the shop for the stealerships work now. The owner of the local dealership talked to my friends and now my friends work on all the kaws.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Good Post and sound advice!!

More examples:

Drove CBR1000RR out of the drivewway of stealership with front brake lever bolt backed out.

Stranded in Angeles Crest Forest with Ducati 999 after tech improperly wired fender eliminator. Same bike broke down twice more bec tech improperly installed belts during a 6K mile service.

Drove ZX6-R home fr. 600 mile service at stealership only to discover that front wheel pinch bolts backed out and missing.

Discovered stealership put front wheel on backwards.

Five different mechanics at four different stealerships.

After the last episode: downloaded a shop manual; bot a set of stands; bot a set of Craftsman tools and resolved to check everything possible esp before going to the track.

Ultimately, my safety is my responsibility. :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Doesn't translate to bikes well, but I know someone whose hobby is light aircraft, and his way of dealing with mechanics is to take the mechanic on the first flight after any service work is done on the plane ... Funny how people pay more attention when it's their own arse on the line ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts