Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A motorcycle club has a Memorial Day and a Labor Day party on their private property south of Iowa City. They typically draw some 11,000 people for their festivities and one of the events is the drag races. They built their own 1/8 mile track, all concrete, and 30 feet wide. They have a regular timing system and a tower nicer than some regular tracks. The deal is the shutdown is pretty short (designed for 85 mph Harleys) and there is absolutely no track prep. It's not uncommon for someone to go off the end. Last year that happend to the guy racing me in the final who was spraying trying to get around me. You can not use the same strategy and setup as you do on a regular track or you'll spin and the bikes have to be street legal. The burnout box is about 15 feet from the starting line and if you want water for your burnout you can pour it out of the gallon jug sitting there. The return road is the track, just turn around and come back. They pay pretty good in a couple classes for winner and runner up and on top of that the entry money gets paid back 100% in each class. They use paper plates taped to your bike for your class and number. After qualifying (index classes only plus one unlimited class) when they run the class they run the whole bracket out non-stop so the action is quick. Last fall I won the unlimited class, this year I got runner up in both the 6.0 index and the unlimited. Believe it or not I actually pulled off a 1.45 sixty foot on this track, but this video was a 1.57 and a 6.05 et due to the soft leave. It's better to leave soft than to get too aggressive and spin. As soon as I get the bike settled at the end of the race I'm on the brakes pretty hard and you'll see the engine dies in the process (don't know why). Yes, those are people crossing the track while it is running. I didn't think about the video when I taped my paper plate on the windscreen so I blocked the stage lights but you'll get the idea.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Nice run but god damn that run off is dangerous! They need a good 200-400ft to really be safe!

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Bike stalled probably because you are sloshing the gas all the way forward on a near empty tank at full braking.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an 08 Busa. I'm thinking I may have been using enough rear brake to stall the engine. The back brake was almost locked and I was in 4th gear and may not have had the clutch pulled. More shutdown would be nice for sure! They change the rules every year it seems and no nitrous was allowed this year. Add another 4 mph and it is even closer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts