Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... here is the story. I have been riding for a few years. Started out with a $400 Ninja 500, which I restored and really really like, and also got a '76 Honda last year which I like too. I took the MSF class two years ago and took it again with my wife last year. I don't think I'm the best rider out there but I do think I know the basics of riding and can ride safely in traffic and on the freeway.

Now, my buddy has been riding a few years too, but he hardly has any miles under his belt and hasn't taken a class like MSF before and doesn't seem to really know what he's doing on the ride. Like, in curves, instead of following a smooth path through the curve he'll lean over a bit, stand up straight, then when he's hitting the edge of his lane he'll lean it over again.

He just bought a new ZX-10R, as did I. His last bike was a Katana 600 which he only rode a few hundred miles and he sold over a year ago. I am really worried he is gonna get hurt.

Does anyone have any tips/ideas for talking to a friend about this? The problem is, I can't just go around telling my friend I am a better rider than he is. He grew up w/ dirt bikes and used to race street cars back in the day so he has a lot of confidence in his skills. I think he could be a great rider too, I am just scared whenever I ride behind him in the curves!!

What can I do??

·
Registered
675 Posts
1st. Always stay behind him in the curves. Can you put a life insurance policy on your buddy?
j/k
Suggest taking some track days together? Safety courses? Maybe put lots of miles on the open road to get the old riding legs of your buddy warmed up?
Me personally, I would tell him that his riding scares the hell out of me, and that he needs to work on his riding skills. It's not a fun ride if you are worried about your riding buddy getting hurt. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I been thru the same problem with a buddy of mine (rydes a r6) who has been ryding for 2 years now without a license or a permit. He's bit it a couple of times but he still keeps ryding dangerously at times (stuntin) sometimes on canyon straights and of course on the streets. When I bought my ZX10R he wanted one too but, I told him he was "gonna die" because of his bad habits ryding. He thought about it and now he wants to get his M license do a couple of track days with me before he upgrades to a 1 liter. Just be str8 honest with your friend and be serious when you tell him what you think. Good Luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Honesty is the best. I agree, tell him it scares the hell out of you to see him do some of the stuff he does. MSF, track days, and time will help his skills. If he doesn't improve at least he'll get feedback from others (instructors) and maybe not think he's the next Nicky. Dirt bikes and cars are very different to high performance street bikes.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
MSF course and the advance course then track days. do not have him ride during busy times with a lot of cars on the rode. Do not take crazy canyons cause if he does spill it could be bad. I think once he gets a track day down he should be ok with his turning. just tell your buddy he needs to chill out and take it smooth and that your already impressed by him he doesnt need to try and show off.

·
Registered
746 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Track days have made a huge Improvement in my riding skills. Before I did the track I was so so slow, safe but slow. I just never had much confidence in the bike or my abilities. I had a buddy that kept after me to come down to the track with him so finally last year I did go and could not believe the difference it has made for me. I have done a total of 6 track days and people that I have been riding with for years are also blown a way by my improvements. Get your Friend to try some track days it’s worth every penny and not to mention addicting to.

·
Registered
299 Posts
ErnieBall said:
...He grew up w/ dirt bikes and used to race street cars back in the day so he has a lot of confidence in his skills. I think he could be a great rider too, I am just scared whenever I ride behind him in the curves!!

What can I do??
Stop riding with him.

Going by what you said here, it sounds like he isn't trained properly and does not have a teachable attitude for getting that proper training.

Just leave him be. When he makes his mistakes during a ride, he may take you out as well in the process.

This situation is pretty common. You see it particularly on group rides. You learn pretty quickly that there are folk you need to give lots of space to.

·
Registered
911 Posts
kevika2001 said:
I been thru the same problem with a buddy of mine (rydes a r6) who has been ryding for 2 years now without a license or a permit. He's bit it a couple of times but he still keeps ryding dangerously at times (stuntin) sometimes on canyon straights and of course on the streets. He thought about it and now he wants to get his M license do a couple of track days with me before he upgrades to a 1 liter. Just be str8 honest with your friend and be serious when you tell him what you think. Good Luck :thumbsup:

can you keep him up north not in fontana or willow:rolleyes:

·
I bleed Green!
2,612 Posts
Seat time, seat time. Lay down some ground rules for your joy rides and be honest if doing crazy shiot. Find some were away from trafic and have fun. Get around guys that ride and watch them also watch the squids. When the squid mess up it will be a eye openner.The more you ride the more he will feel what to do or not. Track day with a school is pretty fun also. My days of raceing are over but track days are a blast. Always keep the shiny side up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts