Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did routine maintenance on a friend's 2005 R1 today. The parts I replaced were the spark plugs, BMC filter, oil/filter change, galfer SS lines and pads, and installed a speedohealer. The spark plugs used were the factory two electrode NGK. The R1 has not been started for a few months. I had to jump the battery to get the bike to run after bolting the bike back together. At first the bike had a nasty miss fire around 3000-4000 rpm and would not rev above 4000 RPM. It acted as though the RPM's reached the rev limiter but it never did. After some fresh gas and a 10 minute ride the bike now miss fires around 6000 RPM but doesnt always miss fire.

What is the problem? The only thing I did that would affect the operation of the engine was the spaek plugs. Could they be gapped incorrectly? Bad gas from sitting? It definitely is not the speedohealer install.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
its a yamaha what do you expect. haha jk, no but seriously, it def sounds like theyre gapped incorrectly. thats where id begin considering you worked them recently.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would bet on a "gummed up" injector, depending on how long it sat up of course. Unless you dropped one of the plugs, I can't really see the electrode being out of spec, especially on an iridium tip type.
:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I would bet on a "gummed up" injector, depending on how long it sat up of course. Unless you dropped one of the plugs, I can't really see the electrode being out of spec, especially on an iridium tip type.
:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1
indeed, unless the gap is closed or tip broken off it'll fire and run fine however a clogged injector won't and will misfire. Stale fuel will act funny also.

BD

·
Registered
110 Posts
could be a low voltage miss as the battery charges back up the missfire will happen higher up in the revs

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know for a fact I did not drop or bang the plugs during the install. I am hoping that I did not improperly install a stick coil; the spark plugs were a bi%^& to replace. He did not add fuel stabilizer to his gas either prior to storage.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I know for a fact I did not drop or bang the plugs during the install. I am hoping that I did not improperly install a stick coil; the spark plugs were a bi%^& to replace. He did not add fuel stabilizer to his gas either prior to storage.
When I was service writer at a dealership, we saw this happen quite offten on miltary guy's bikes. They come back from 12 13 14 month deployments and there bike not run right or sometimes even start up. :badteeth:
Usually if the fuel is old enouph and has started to varnish, it will clog up the fuel pump as well. This one sound like it didn't sit long enouph for that though.
Those plugs are :BangHead::angryfire huh

·
Registered
819 Posts
also check the fuel pump, if you get some trash fuel in there it will clog the pump and when the bike rpms increase it will ask for more fuel that the pump just cant provide,,,,, also the pump may just be going bad,,, it happens

·
Registered
157 Posts
Pour a whole can of Seafoam into the gas tank, fill with fresh gas and ride the bike. The Seafoam will clean out any varnish in the fuel system. Probably wouldn't hurt to use the Seafoam for 2 consecutive tank fulls even.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts