Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well folks here are the long awated pics
For anyone not familiar with this. this is the early 04 zx-10r generator problem you may have had.... it has been determined here by zx-10r.net that it was only a select few from kawi. this problem has been discussed over and over again. so if your bike sounds like some marbles are in it. here's what went wrong.

The generator has some shim's in it that were wrong and installed apparently in the early months. These shims wear out pretty fast and allow the brushes to rub the sides scorching it and spraying metal in the motor. this metal sludge then gets sprayed into the motor. the motor will most of the time be ok. just needs to be cleaned out. witch is really expensive. so my advice to you would be hit ebay and find a new one. oh witch brings me to my next point. the generator cost $1100 from kawasaki or 1050 from ronayers.com. why do this when you can get a whole motor off ebay for about $1500 or less.... but without further adoo here are the picks. the first are where the generator is mounted
this will show how shit get's in the oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the next is the generator.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the burnt brushes in the generator.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and well now that you have seen that here is your next tool.... www.ebay.com thanks drive thru!

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
swjohnsey said:
I wonder if oil analysis would pick this up before catestrophic failure?
Ummm im going to go with no....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oooo yea they are 5200

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Wow, that is a catastrophic failure. You can be sure I will be paying close attention to any metal filings in during oil changes.

I must have an early one (#1149). Back when they made 160+ rwhp stock. LOL

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bad news. if i am getting this right. the earlier the vin the more screwed you are?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
sczx10r said:
bad news. if i am getting this right. the earlier the vin the more screwed you are?
Yea, I hear what you are saying. I haven't had any problems yet, but I'll be listening closely for the first indication of weird engine noises. If it does crap out on me, I sure hope it doesn'l leave me stranded 400 miles from home. That would suck big time.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DO NOT RIDE IT! the sooner the shut down the better!

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
ok, let me see here, my vin is JKA.......A002219, so does this mean i have an early one? Mine is an 04 obviously.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont know... who's got 0001 or is that the one they toasted at the track?

·
Man About Town
1,076 Posts
3947 Orange. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
A008814 here.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I think the first few hundred were probably used for internal testing, and then the next few handed over to the press.

whoa AFMEDIC, that is a very early build.... How's it holding up?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so is it the lower the number the earlier?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts