Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Ooops.

At leat they found it in pre-production which is why they do pre-production.

Too bad for them it was at a press launch though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Damn that's a shame, I was kind of eyeing that bike as a potential next purchase. Yeah it sucks that it happened during a press release.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I had a feeling the V4 wouldn't be bomb-proof like the V2. Keep in mind, the early RSV's were Rotax motors, newer ones are a design based on the Rotax twin. Then keep in mind the RXV's and SXV's (450cc and 550cc v-twin enduro's and supermotos) have had horrible engine failures, and even worse warranty service on fixing them. I sincerely hope the RSV4R is better, but the bar is set pretty low.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That does it for me as far as interest as a potential buyer of that bike. That engine has been nothing but problems. They have been having overheating problems on the rear cylinders. Engines blowing up, and now Con-rod failures....on 5 bikes at the same time!?!?! And on a bike thats supposed to be 20G's?!

I don’t buy into the whole pre-production BS either... the bikes are ready to go, and some have been shipped (factory R version).

I'll stick with my Jap Kawasaki as my main bike.... relatively cheap to purchase, performs just as good and in most with cases better, cheap parts....and we even have this amazing forum where we all help each other testing and mods etc...

·
Registered
540 Posts
that does it for me as far as interest as a potential buyer of that bike. That engine has been nothing but problems. They have been having overheating problems on the rear cylinders. Engines blowing up, and now con-rod failures....on 5 bikes at the same time!?!?! and on a bike thats supposed to be 20g's?!

I don’t buy into the whole pre-production bs either... The bikes are ready to go, and some have been shipped (factory r version).

I'll stick with my jap kawasaki as my main bike.... Relatively cheap to purchase, performs just as good and in most with cases better, cheap parts....and we even have this amazing forum where we all help each other testing and mods etc...
:+1:

·
Registered
410 Posts
That would never happen on a Kawasaki... just sayin
That's because kawasaki would never have a "pre-production" launch....not because they don't have issues. I'm sure our beloved 10's had lots of issues that we never heard about.

I'm not really sure what the advantage of a "pre-production" test is anyways. Of course the bikes have problems. remember the buell 1125R preproduction ride? it was a disaster. the end product turned out fine though (some could argue this probably)

The only thing a pre-production test does is expose them to some bad publicity. They should have just kept the doors closed, and done a full release on the bike once it was adequately tested....like the japanese do.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Talk about a PR nightmare....geeeze. :headshake

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
oh shit, that sucks. aprilia was like "here is our new bad ass bike. . . . . . BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!"

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I don’t buy into the whole pre-production BS either... the bikes are ready to go, and some have been shipped (factory R version).

Said in the article that it doesn't seem to be affecting the factory R bikes.:dontknow:

MCN said:
"As far as I know, there have been no issue with any of the RSV4 Factory-spec machines produced.”

Phil Read of Piaggio was at the launch and said: “These are the first 30 pre-production models.

"On all of them, we’ve found a crack in the forged conrod. The machined big end hole is slightly off-centre, so one side of the rod is thinner than the other and that’s where the crack has occurred.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You guys are harsh critics. They are pre-production after all. It seems like an obvious fault from a sub-supplier...easy to fix. I'd gladly welcome one into my stable. Generally, a V-4 is a wonderful engine. My 2007 Honda VFR was great and the Aprilla is that basic concept on steroids.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You guys are harsh critics. They are pre-production after all. It seems like an obvious fault from a sub-supplier...easy to fix. I'd gladly welcome one into my stable. Generally, a V-4 is a wonderful engine. My 2007 Honda VFR was great and the Aprilla is that basic concept on steroids.
On roids, with a serious weight loss plan, and some dexterity training you mean.

·
Registered
86 Posts
On roids, with a serious weight loss plan, and some dexterity training you mean.
These words you speak are true! Yes, the VFR is basically a fine machine but I nicknamed mine "Porky" because it was about 100lbs overweight. The Aprilla is a serious machine. It is the the cover story on the new Motor Cyclist mag and they fall all over themselves saying how wonderful it is.

There are many many fine products of all kinds that either had an imperfect beginning or have some occasional production foibles but that doesn't mean the product is ruined forever. There is no such thing as a "perfect" product.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I dont think so at all, most people have under reacted and made up excuses for Aprillia.... Aprillia is supposed to be a high end, high quality brand and they charge premium prices for their products.
What happened to their quality control? their good judgment in having parts outsourced?
And one more thing, I dont buy into this pre-production BS. These bikes have been in testing for years now, and were supposed to be 2009 bikes...and because of engine problems, they delayed them to be 2010 bikes, and now they had the "official launch" which means they are ready to go, and now that the 5 test bikes they brought to the official launch all BLEW UP, they are still calling them "pre-production"? whatever.

For those sticking up for Aprillia, and making excuses for them.. go ahead and buy those bikes....
Im sticking to the main 4, who make millions at a time and seem to have WAAY better quality control and more extensive testing.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
A lot of manufacturers sub out internal parts. I wouldn't be suprised to see less than a handful of bikes on the road with this problem. Other problems...maybe. Like I said, Aprilia has had the benefit of a "bomb-proof" reputation mostly on the shoulders of Rotax - their in house motors haven't fared so well. I want it to be good, and I want the BMW to be good, but I'm not sinking my cash into either next year.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
the guy holding the camera was annoying as hell, stop sniffling damnit, not to mention he has a HD bag so obviously his view on good products and gear is skewed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.