Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,958 Posts
I've ran higher octaine in my bike a couple times because theres a gas station about 5-10 miles from my house that has 100+ octaine. It made some what of a difference with power, maybe got a couple hp out of it, it did run the best on the dyno than ever before down at the little island jacks

· Speed Freak
12,932 Posts
the higer octane will prevent detonation but wont give you such a great boost in hp.... you really need to run a pc3 to add fuel so you dont lean pop the motor!!! a PC3 and hub will prevent whats known as energetic engine dis assembly....

· Registered
1,225 Posts
Higher octane gives you less HP unless you have some serious mods requiring it. You want to run the lowest octane possible without detonation. Hence why many Busa owners run 87 octane unless they have a 1397 or boost.

5,958 Posts
so not true, I have talked to a lot of tuners and higher octane gives you more power buddy, hence why would people that go to the strip run higher octane? There was a complete thread about this and running a higher octane will put better numbers down, or at least they proved it on the dyno!!

· Registered
370 Posts
so not true, I have talked to a lot of tuners and higher octane gives you more power buddy, hence why would people that go to the strip run higher octane? There was a complete thread about this and running a higher octane will put better numbers down, or at least they proved it on the dyno!!
I would stop listening to those tuners... higher octane is only useful if you have an engine necessitating it.

Go dyno your bike with 87, then again with 100. you'll see.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
not the case some of the new fuels such as mr9 and mr11 are oxygenated and are 87 and 90 octane and show a 6% gain over 93 octane pump gas mrx01 is 97 octane and dropped over 10 hp on a dyno with the same bike on the same day. it about the tune and the fuel not my .02 cent but brocks

5,958 Posts
I can understand that, I havent ever ran anything less then 93 but my bikes a little lean maybe I should jump down to a lower octane? Whats your imput on this man? And I know your going to say get a pc or something an custom tune, had a pcIII and level one but level one got beat up in my garage by the wife and drill press lol, she knock the press on the pipe while it was on the bike ect, long story....But I took my pcIII off and sold it knowing I'm shooting for the pcv and auto tune unit with the lcd setup. Should be able to get it here in the nexted couple months

· Registered
1,487 Posts
No, run 93 if you think you are lean. Lean = hot, hot leads to detonation, octane resists detonation.

Increased octane allows higher compression ratios, because the higher octane fuel is LESS likely to ignite, burns slower than low octane.

So if you don't have increased compression (or turbo, nitrous) than you will make LESS power with high octane fuel.

The 10 is 12.7:1 CR from the factory, pretty high. So to be safe, KHI says stick with mid grade or better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.