1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey
total noob here.
New to motorcycles all together.
Yeah, i know the zx10r is a bit of a beast for a new guy, but I like the way i fit on them and i got a great deal on an '06.
Got a buddy teaching me the basics on his extra yahama fzr6.
The bike scene is pretty big down here in the Tampa Bay, Florida Area.
So far, everyone has been pretty awesome as far as accepting the new guy and helpin out.

·
Registered
388 Posts
:welcome: and take it easy starting out. :thumbsup:

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Welcome! Just take it all at your pace...Not anyone else's or the 06 will burn you. Read up on threads regarding that year. Awesome bike but it does have its quirks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks
and oh yeah, definitely taking it easy. we've got a huge parking lot near us that is empty at night. I'm gonna practice there until I build up some more confidence, and develop some good habits.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
thanks
and oh yeah, definitely taking it easy. we've got a huge parking lot near us that is empty at night. I'm gonna practice there until I build up some more confidence, and develop some good habits.
very wise, try checking out a local rider safety course as well:wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome! Just take it all at your pace...Not anyone else's or the 06 will burn you. Read up on threads regarding that year. Awesome bike but it does have its quirks.
quirks? like what?

I figure not having any experience, I'm at a bit of an advantage as I'm not used to another kind of bike...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very wise, try checking out a local rider safety course as well:wink:
definitely on the to do list before i start riding everyday. I was looking at the one they do at the Harley Store.
I've got some people that are gonna help with the "this is how you handle traffic on your way to work" part of riding once I get the basics down.

I was on my bike earlier today and just trying to get used to the clutch engaging, so I was wanting to go really slow. I let the clutch off a bit too fast with giving it a bit too much gas, or at least, more than I actually wanted, so I went to grab the brake. I released the throttle grabbed the brake and squeezed, but at the same time, I rolled the throttle. jerked me back pretty good which just put more force on the throttle. took a second to realize what was happening and get it under control.
Thats the type of stuff that I don't want to happen on the road. It was bad enough to do in an empty parking lot.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Welcome and be careful

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Do yourself a favor before you kill yourself or someone else and get a used 250 and learn how to ride then sell it for what you paid for it. Seriously dude, that is too much bike for someone still learning clutch/throttle. It will not be forgiving when you screw up and you will be on your ass. Not trying to scare you or anything but just letting you now.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: Consider taking the MSF course to get your riding career started.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Welcome Fool!!! I'm in Tampa too!!! If you ever wanna get out and ride hit me on PM. Always rolling out on the weekends.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
531 Posts
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: Consider taking the MSF course to get your riding career started.
MSF Course is required to have a license in FL. I know that doesn't mean he's ready for a Liter bike but just thought I'd let ya know. They Changed that law last year...

Hope you not riding dirty cause its a heafty fine without your endorsement....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I learned something that I already knew the other night... The clutch on a bike is nothing like a clutch on a car. I'm so used to getting off of the clutch as quickly as possible, one car length at most, that I was having a hard time with the bike. I kept stalling every time I was at a stop. I kept trying to give it a bit more throttle to compensate but that wasn't exactly working. I'd either look like an idiot reving my bike or chirping the tire. It was actually some random harley guy that pulled up and noticed what I was doing and reminded me that it was ok to ride the clutch out a little bit more. After that, no more problems. Can't say that I am "ready" to ride everyday and deal with traffic and what not, but I have definitely gained a level of confidence that I thought would take much much longer to get to. This whole thing isn't as intimidating as I thought it was going to be.
I do have a question though... How do you go slow?
Like parking lot, gas station slow. The bike idles at 9-10 mph. That isn't bad when it is clear, but trying to get through a gas station, that is way too fast. I'm gonna talk to my buddies about it later, just thought I would see what you guys have to say

thanks!

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
welcome,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh, and gear position. I've heard about a little set up you can do to have a gear indicator. Does that just sound awesome to me because I'm new and not used to it yet? I would imagine that you ride enough you learn what gear you are in based off of speed and rpm. I was just thinking that it would come in handy dealing with traffic and city riding. One less thing to have to remember while keeping track of the cars around you.

Also, how do you all suggest stopping?
Down shift through the gears or just clutch and brake or what? I practiced some on the roads late at night so I could get used to the traffic lights and I was finding that I was braking for a really long time. Like, enough so that if I was behind me in a car, I would probably be annoyed. I was downshifting through the gears and using the foot brake until 15 ish, then shifting into 1st, holding the clutch, using the handbrake and putting my right foot down. Once I got stopped, I would bump it into neutral, assuming I had more than a moment to til the light changed. Is that the "right" process to go through I just need to shorten the distance it takes? or should I be learning to do something differently.

thanks again!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Take the course LOL!!!! You'll learn something called the friction zone. you know like when you're driving a manual transmittion car, and as you ease off the clutch the car starts to move slowly... Same with bike.. Practice in parking lot feeling the clutch release zone.... You release to fast with out throttle your gonna stall. Oh yeah sign up for the class.... :nutkick:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah, no worries with me being on the road any time soon. My dipshit buddy decided he wanted to test out the 1000cc bike. He rides an 04 r6. I figured, hey, why not. He's been riding for a couple of years. Never laid his bike down. Been on several other bikes. No biggie, right. Wrong. He circles the parking lot a few times, getting used to the bike a little bit, gets out on the road. back and forth a few times. I guess he thought it would be cool to show me what the underside of my bike looks like going down the road, so he popped the front wheel up. It was all well and good except for the fact that he set it back down right onto a manhole cover. Caused the bike to wobble. by the time he was able to settle it down, he hit the curb, threw him off the bike and fucked mine up. broke every spoke on the wheel. Bent both rotors. Busted the right side caliper. The fork is bent apart. The handlebars don't point straight, so i'm assuming those are bent. Cracked the case, its leaking oil out everywhere. not exactly sure how it happened, but the bike slid on both sides, so all of the plastics are fucked up. the windscreen is busted. and I'm sure there is more wrong with the bike than just that. That's just what you can see looking at it. He's ok. Just some road rash on his Forearms. Dragging on the ground ate through his left glove completely. His right glove is stuffed up. He had a really light weight textile jacket on (like the long sleeve stuff people wear on a dirt bike, so it wasn't too much protection) that was shredded.
We're working with his insurance company to put it through as a claim and see if I can get something out of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts