Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am looking to buy an Austin Racing de-cat exhaust (no other mod)...

Do I need a tune?
If so, do I need a Power Commander V?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need a tune? no but it'd be ideal to have.

Power commander, no. If you flash you dont use that.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I'm new to the motorcycle performance area but a tune is the same as flashing? I read online that a Power Commander V is needed when you get a tune, is that incorrect information?

Thanks!

·
Registered
ZX10RR
206 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I'm new to the motorcycle performance area but a tune is the same as flashing? I read online that a Power Commander V is needed when you get a tune, is that incorrect information?

Thanks!
Yes that is incorrect.

A power commander fools the injection into doing what you want. A tune sets the ecu directly into doing what you want, and so much more.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,973 Posts
Welcome!

The bike is tuned from Kawasaki with their settings. "Retuning" those settings on a bike only refers to modifying the fueling air/fuel ratio (AFR) that the engine uses to run and make power from. Retuning the fueling is done in several different ways. "Flashing" or "Reflashing" is the process for retuning the fueling through the onboard computer. A bolt-on, piggyback controller like a PC is another way. They technically aren't the same things, but are used to achieve the same goal. One is a Process for changing something and the other is the Tool used to complete the process. There are several tools used for that. The terms are used interchangeably these days, but it can be confusing.

If all you've done is put on a slip-on, there's no performance gains from that other than a weight reduction and you don't have to tune it. But, if you retune the fueling to account for the changes on the bike then you may be able to gain a minimal amount of increased power from it. You can retune it with a reflash (preferred) or retune it through a PCV, a Bazzaz, or RapidBike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome!

The bike is tuned from Kawasaki with their settings. "Retuning" those settings on a bike only refers to modifying the fueling air/fuel ratio (AFR) that the engine uses to run and make power from. Retuning the fueling is done in several different ways. "Flashing" or "Reflashing" is the process for retuning the fueling through the onboard computer. A bolt-on, piggyback controller like a PC is another way. They technically aren't the same things, but are used to achieve the same goal. One is a Process for changing something and the other is the Tool used to complete the process. There are several tools used for that. The terms are used interchangeably these days, but it can be confusing.

If all you've done is put on a slip-on, there's no performance gains from that other than a weight reduction and you don't have to tune it. But, if you retune the fueling to account for the changes on the bike then you may be able to gain a minimal amount of increased power from it. You can retune it with a reflash (preferred) or retune it through a PCV, a Bazzaz, or RapidBike.
Thank you for your reply. Is a de-cat exhaust and slip-on exhaust the same? I am want more noise (and look) than performance gain. I did more research and it'll run lean so I'll probably get a flash to fix that.

Thanks!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,973 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Is a de-cat exhaust and slip-on exhaust the same? I am want more noise (and look) than performance gain. I did more research and it'll run lean so I'll probably get a flash to fix that.

Thanks!
The slip-on refers to not changing out the header. The catalytic converter is outside the header, so they are basically the same thing.

·
Registered
ZX10RR
206 Posts

Thanks!
Your exhaust has 3 parts that are actually separated in 3 parts. Mainfold, resonant box and muffler.

Some slip ons, clip to the mainfold and some to the resonant box. Street legal ones will clip to the box.
The cat is inside the resonant box.

So find a slip on that removes the box

1 - 8 of 8 Posts