Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike seems to be in good condition, only thing I notice is when at idle:

I notice that when my bike is in neutral there is a low rattling sound, as soon as I pull in the clutch lever, the noise goes away.

What is the culprit and can I fix it?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,720 Posts
Cam chain tensioner.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You reckon that the CCT would quiet down when the clutch is pulled in?

Also, it seems to get to the cct the coolant has to get flushed as the coolant pipe is covering the cct (dam Kwak engineers)

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,720 Posts
You reckon that the CCT would quiet down when the clutch is pulled in?

Also, it seems to get to the cct the coolant has to get flushed as the coolant pipe is covering the cct (dam Kwak engineers)

Yes, since there isn't as much load on the crank when not spinning the rest of the transmission. It could be clutch noise as well, but the cam chain is the usual culprit. You don't offer up much in the way of where you thought the noise was coming from (right side, left side, clutch area, etc) so I threw something out there.

You can get to the cct without draining the coolant. It's just tight working in the area. You should be able to pull the spring out and try extending it manually a little bit to see if that helps. Unless of course the noise is coming from the clutch area.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,720 Posts
PS - It isn't the CCT that is possibly making noise. That thing doesn't move once it takes up the slack. It would be the cam chain that is loose because the CCT isn't extending properly and it's the chain whipping around making the rattling noise.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
PS - It isn't the CCT that is possibly making noise. That thing doesn't move once it takes up the slack. It would be the cam chain that is loose because the CCT isn't extending properly and it's the chain whipping around making the rattling noise.
yeah but the chain is the strongest component on the bike bullet proof need alot of miles to stretch it.....going to say it is Clutch related best to start an Inspection there like you said earlier. :wink:

Bloo

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,720 Posts
yeah but the chain is the strongest component on the bike bullet proof need alot of miles to stretch it.....going to say it is Clutch related best to start an Inspection there like you said earlier. :wink:

Bloo
The chain doesn't have to stretch much at all to get in between notches on the CCT and get enough slack to whip around and rattle.

Considering the fact that when he pulls in the clutch (which means the pressure plate opens up and the rest of the clutch plates are loose and free-wheeling) the noise actually goes away. Yet, when the clutch pack is under pressure and locked together when it's engaged, the noise is there. It's counter intuitive which is why I don't think it's clutch noise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The noise seemed to come from the mid tank area, although I would have to listen up for the noise again.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
The chain doesn't have to stretch much at all to get in between notches on the CCT and get enough slack to whip around and rattle.

Considering the fact that when he pulls in the clutch (which means the pressure plate opens up and the rest of the clutch plates are loose and free-wheeling) the noise actually goes away. Yet, when the clutch pack is under pressure and locked together when it's engaged, the noise is there. It's counter intuitive which is why I don't think it's clutch noise.
I had problems with the CCT before so bad guys on the track thought my motor was Toast and some experts at the track thought my motor was blown I think I even have a Thread about that experience on this site. :wink: ......the Timing Chain is so strong it will take alot to stretch that beyond the CCT anyway... it's the last place I would look but that's just me and just saying. :cool:

Bloo

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Bloo
I will inspect the cct, however what would my inspection of the clutch involve?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,720 Posts

The clutch basket rivets, throw out bearing, actuator rod, springs, clutch plates, etc. Basically the whole thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
And isnt it that when idling you can hear the gearbox, and when you pull the clutch lever the noise goes away, because the tranny is not spinning? If something was wrong with the clutch, I believe that with pulled clutch lever you would hear some bad noises.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Cam chain tensioner.
You flipping mastermind! I have done the cct. I increased the cct teeth by two and closed up. It has solved another problem rather than what I initially posted but it is quite interesting. My bike in much more quiet and has noticable improved acceleration through the gears for me, far less lag when riding.

In regards to the thread problem. I adjusted the 'clutch lever free play' to around 3mm.

I also adjusted it from the lower end.

I noticed that when the clutch is adjusted so that there is less freeplay (more tension) the noise is quieter, with adjustments the noise has slightly reduced a notch although not enough?

What would happen if I adjust the clutch so that the tension quiets it down? could the cultch cable snap?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Perhaps you just think its better with more cable tension, and simply the oil wasnt hot end thin enough for the normal rattle to appear? Mine is quiet untill engine gets the operating temp. And ony with disengaged clutch (lever pulled fully in) becomes quiet like Honda engines.
Btw, does anyone know why Honda engines are so silky smooth at idle???

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perhaps you just think its better with more cable tension, and simply the oil wasnt hot end thin enough for the normal rattle to appear? Mine is quiet untill engine gets the operating temp. And ony with disengaged clutch (lever pulled fully in) becomes quiet like Honda engines.
Btw, does anyone know why Honda engines are so silky smooth at idle???
The bike was fully warmed, it were after a 2hr city ride. Forgot to mention that the adjustment improves gear changes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dont see how cable tension could make a difference here. Perhaps due to better cam chain tension you just have less rattle in general.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
I had problems with the CCT before so bad guys on the track thought my motor was Toast and some experts at the track thought my motor was blown I think I even have a Thread about that experience on this site. :wink: ......the Timing Chain is so strong it will take alot to stretch that beyond the CCT anyway... it's the last place I would look but that's just me and just saying. :cool:

Bloo
:notworthy:
Even when I suggest the problem right SkyDork still gets the Credit :crackup:

Oh Well he does give more advice on this site than most that's why I recommended him to be a MOD :wink: the most important thing is the Member fixed his problem. :thumbsup:

Bloo

Reactions: Turbodc2 and mpp12
1 - 20 of 34 Posts