Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone has every had a cervical fusion before and how good/bad was the outcome. I am having surgery and the Army is paying for it (it's a civilian doctor) and just wanted to know how long should I expect to be out of commission.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Best I can say is I had a friend get it on all 5 levels which is pretty bad from what he always said and he was in the hospital for 9 days then 13 days in rehab then it took him about 3-5 months to be back in action riding. But thats one of the worse cases I'm guessing cause how he talked about it. If its not like his think less!!!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey abprep07 thanks for the input...ive never had something like this done and I must admit i'm pretty nervous...

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
It wasnt to bad he said, he could get up and walk the day after but not for long though. I was in the miltary and thank god your going to a civilian doctor cause I wouldnt let any miltary doctor touch my back doing shit like that!!! But yeah dont worry man, things will turn out good bro..

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
Good luck Tee and may God speed your recovery. Keep us posted ok, looks like you may have a little keyboard time for a week or so.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HTML:
Good luck Tee and may God speed your recovery. Keep us posted ok, looks like you may have a little keyboard time for a week or so.
HTML:

Hey man thanks...I'm not looking forward to surfing the net all day though, lol but maybe it will give me time to pick you guys' brains and learn everything there is to know about the 10

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HTML:
It wasnt to bad he said, he could get up and walk the day after but not for long though. I was in the miltary and thank god your going to a civilian doctor cause I wouldnt let any miltary doctor touch my back doing shit like that!!! But yeah dont worry man, things will turn out good bro..
HTML:

That's good to know bro...How is your buddy doing? Did he make a full recover?...I know once you have surgery on your back you won't ever be the same but I will try to stay positive...and letting some military officer use me like a human experiment wasn't an option, lol

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yeah! Screw all those military doctors! They don't know shit! You should look into surgical complication rates of civillian vs military hospitals. You will surprise yourself. :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks ripped...just keep sending those NWS pics to keep me motivated, lol

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah chuhuba, I just read in the Army Times about some guy in the Airforce that goes in to have his gallbladder removed and comes out with BOTH legs amputated.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yeah chuhuba, I just read in the Army Times about some guy in the Airforce that goes in to have his gallbladder removed and comes out with BOTH legs amputated.
I would love to hear the rest of the story, like when, how, who, facility, and under what circumstances. Civillian contractor, activated reservist, or active duty physician.

I think many folks have a perception, out of ignorance and hear say, that military doctors are somehow substandard to civillian. The truth is that civillian and military docs go to the same undergrad, medical, and often time residency programs. We all are licensed and tested by the same organizations. Academics are strongly emphasized in military residency programs, and an overwhelming majority of us have been published for original research and surgical innovation.

The ARMY invented surgery in the United States a long time ago and continues to make strides improving surgical care. I can name at least 15 gynecologic procedures that I am credentialed to do, including ESSURE, CO2 laser, robotic surgery, and others that my civillian counterparts have never even seen.

I save lives on a weekly basis, including a patient this Saturday who was admitted due to a blotched civillian procedure. She recieve d 4units of blood,12 pack of platelets, 2 units of fresh frozen plasma, and a whole lot of surgery from Cuhuba to save her life. She is very grateful to be in a military hospital right now.

Civillian cesarean section rate is 30 to 50%, while ours is 12-15% on any given year. The reason: We don't have financial incentives as surgeons to operate. I'm not bashing civillinas, but when we talk amongst docs, they admit that finances and the needs of the practice (call schedule, vacation) drives their practice patterns.

This last year I performed 150+ gynecologic surgeries, 300+deliveries, and >1200 office visits without a single patient complaint, complication, or concern.

The only 2 reported complications last year from the Dept of OB/GYN at my hospital was due to our civillian contractors...to set the record straight.

Sorry about the rant, but I hate for people to play the "I heard" game when it comes to military medical care. We don't have the prettiest facilities and continuity sometimes sucks due to deployments, PCS, etc. But I would challenge any civillian gynecologist to come see me in the operating room and then tell me if they have something to add to my knowledge...i seriously doubt it.

BTW, I know several guys who ride and/or have been deployed after a cervical fusion. Big deal surgery, but usually favorable recovery. Best wishes.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HTML:
I would love to hear the rest of the story, like when, how, who, facility, and under what circumstances. Civillian contractor, activated reservist, or active duty physician.

I think many folks have a perception, out of ignorance and hear say, that military doctors are somehow substandard to civillian. The truth is that civillian and military docs go to the same undergrad, medical, and often time residency programs. We all are licensed and tested by the same organizations. Academics are strongly emphasized in military residency programs, and an overwhelming majority of us have been published for original research and surgical innovation.

The ARMY invented surgery in the United States a long time ago and continues to make strides improving surgical care. I can name at least 15 gynecologic procedures that I am credentialed to do, including ESSURE, CO2 laser, robotic surgery, and others that my civillian counterparts have never even seen.

I save lives on a weekly basis, including a patient this Saturday who was admitted due to a blotched civillian procedure. She recieve d 4units of blood,12 pack of platelets, 2 units of fresh frozen plasma, and a whole lot of surgery from Cuhuba to save her life. She is very grateful to be in a military hospital right now.

Civillian cesarean section rate is 30 to 50%, while ours is 12-15% on any given year. The reason: We don't have financial incentives as surgeons to operate. I'm not bashing civillinas, but when we talk amongst docs, they admit that finances and the needs of the practice (call schedule, vacation) drives their practice patterns.

This last year I performed 150+ gynecologic surgeries, 300+deliveries, and >1200 office visits without a single patient complaint, complication, or concern.

The only 2 reported complications last year from the Dept of OB/GYN at my hospital was due to our civillian contractors...to set the record straight.

Sorry about the rant, but I hate for people to play the "I heard" game when it comes to military medical care. We don't have the prettiest facilities and continuity sometimes sucks due to deployments, PCS, etc. But I would challenge any civillian gynecologist to come see me in the operating room and then tell me if they have something to add to my knowledge...i seriously doubt it.

BTW, I know several guys who ride and/or have been deployed after a cervical fusion. Big deal surgery, but usually favorable recovery. Best wishes.:eek:ccasion1
HTML:

Hey I'm not bashing military doctors either but the story I read was in the last month issue of the Army Times. I had a previous surgery on my ear done by a Major and the procedure was flawless and it improved my hearing a great deal...I guess the stigma comes from all those "unpleasant" times i have been in the emergency room, lol. There are some great PA's and military doctors out there but the guy I was referred to has done a lot of procedures on military personnel so I guess I'm in good hands.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
good luck dude, surgery is a necessary evil, hope your better after though

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had a discectomy a few months back. It's not nearly as bad as a fusion...but I wasn't able to get back on a bike for 2 months after. I'm still not 100% and can only do short trips. I'm fine while riding, but I'll pay for it the day after.

Recovery was bad. I was off work for 2 weeks, but it probably should have been longer. I felt like shit for at least a month after the surgery.

Oh...and better find a way to occupy your time. I was going nuts after a couple of weeks being trapped in the house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts