Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me diagnose a problem...

Bike: '04 ZX10R, 3,600 miles, bone stock.

Symptom: The bike won't run wide open throttle (under way, of course). Doesn't seem to be miss firing, just stops pulling at around 7,500 to 8,000 rpms. Pulls better under part throttle than at full throttle.

Additional info: Ran several tank fulls of high octane fuel, approx 112; maybe leaded, not sure. I pulled the exhaust can off suspecting the cat is plugged but performance did not change.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
 

·
Bloo Moderator
Joined
·
23,742 Posts
TN10 said:
Hoping someone can help me diagnose a problem...

Bike: '04 ZX10R, 3,600 miles, bone stock.

Symptom: The bike won't run wide open throttle (under way, of course). Doesn't seem to be miss firing, just stops pulling at around 7,500 to 8,000 rpms. Pulls better under part throttle than at full throttle.

Additional info: Ran several tank fulls of high octane fuel, approx 112; maybe leaded, not sure. I pulled the exhaust can off suspecting the cat is plugged but performance did not change.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Get that bike to a test and tune center and put it on a dyno under load to see if they can find the problem, maybe someone here has had similar situation but that would be the fastest way to find the culprit IMO. Let us know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not hearing any funny noises. Would a generator problem result in the motor running out of pulling power as the rpms come up?
 

·
PostWhore
Joined
·
13,496 Posts
bluedevil said:
Get that bike to a test and tune center and put it on a dyno under load to see if they can find the problem, maybe someone here has had similar situation but that would be the fastest way to find the culprit IMO. Let us know.

:+1:...and, heres more on the generator

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?threadid=72463


if you need more research, search "generator"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,682 Posts
your bike is in "safe" mode it wont allow you to go over 7000 RPM it has to go to the dealership to have a code read. you can read it yourself but with out the dio machine its useless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Birdman said:
I'm guessing a faulty TPS. But get it checked and let us know.
Yup thats what im guessin also, mine had that problem once and it turned out to be the Sub Throtle Position Sensor. Its covered under warranty at least it should be. Just an F.Y.I. you cant buy just that piece, you have to buy the whole F.I. system. It runs over a grand. Im dunno wtf they were thinkin when they designed that but thats the way it is. Take it to the shop and see what they say and hopefully its nuthin serious! May the Force Be With You!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. One question about "safe" mode, shouldn't one of the lights be on or blinking or something on the instrument cluster?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
TN10 said:
Thanks for the input. One question about "safe" mode, shouldn't one of the lights be on or blinking or something on the instrument cluster?

I believe that information to be corrupt and not correct.
As the others have said more then likely it's your TPS or related..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,682 Posts
The FI light should be on. But you did discribe a perfect "safe" mode.
 

·
Hillbillie Mod
Joined
·
20,155 Posts
whos TPS agian? :dontknow:
 

·
Hillbillie Mod
Joined
·
20,155 Posts
Thank you kindly...Where is it located?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
its become quite clear this TPS sensor has effected the black versions (hmmm must be the black cloud over them) surely its not because of its performance prowess cuz we know that belongs to the orange ones. :wink: :lol: :cool:

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
:eek:ccasion1 Bd reppin orange :thumbsup: :+1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Big Daddy said:
its become quite clear this TPS sensor has effected the black versions (hmmm must be the black cloud over them) surely its not because of its performance prowess cuz we know that belongs to the orange ones. :wink: :lol: :cool:

BD
ohhh gawd!!!...claimin' orange again...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, can't deny the black cloud right now. But black was fastest before this affliction.

Can someone describe where the TPS is and how I might be able to diagnose it as the problem?

THANKS!
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top