Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Out of curiosity are there any other year engines that will go into my 06 frame? I dont mind making fabbing up a bracket or something. Just wondering if there are any (older or newer) that would go in without too much trouble. I see a ton of first gen engines for sale quite often but not too many second gen.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,058 Posts
Out of curiosity are there any other year engines that will go into my 06 frame? I dont mind making fabbing up a bracket or something. Just wondering if there are any (older or newer) that would go in without too much trouble. I see a ton of first gen engines for sale quite often but not too many second gen.
The newer Gen 3 engines should fit, but you'll need more than just the motor from what I remember. The Gen 3 used a second set of upper injectors. You'd need the ECU and harness along with the TBs to take advantage of that as a swap. Even if you used your Gen 2 TBs, I thought there were some plug/connector issue with the sensors and harness that would need to fixed as go. Fitting the frame is the easy part. Nothing is impossible though and all it takes is effort.....and money.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
As sky said its a straight drop in the external is identical, however don't fudge it buy trying to adapt g3 throttle bodies, the g2 throttle bodies fit the boots on g3 head, IIRC the speed pick up is wired differently from G3 2010 only the G3 08 & 09 are the same. just drop in plug in and away you go.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Beers are on me if we ever meet up! When you the speed pickup is that the gear position sensor or something else? What would be needed to adapt said sensor? Get g3 sensor and wire into g2 harness i assume??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Might be able to use the VSS(vehicle speed sensor) sensor from the gen 2. I promise you, the gen 3 will cost more than gen 2 and more than rebuilding yours. You are looking at 500.00 in parts + torque wrench(might be able to borrow 7ftlbs to 50ft/lbs range). Then you need some additional materials to clean: razor blades, 400 grit sandpaper, sharpening stone, brake cleaner, assembly lube and case sealant. This job can be done in 2 days complete. I have included a pic that contains the item numbers from Ebay. ALSO..... the 04-06 rod bearings are the same. In 07 they changed the rod bearings so the tang is centered on the inserts. 04-06 has the tang on the outside edge. Most ppl sell items as Gen 2 and don't know they have an 06 or 07. They assume the gens are the same internally.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Thanks for the links for sure. Still weighing things out at this point. I have been speaking to Michael and should have updated this thread. The more i dig into it the worse it looks. All 4 of the rods and caps were loose on the bearings. All the bearings were tight to the crank. Also the bearings do not sit tight in the rod or cap at all. They are very loose. The lower case crank bearings look like they have wear also. Here are some more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I am really starting to wonder if someone threw this motor together and dumped it off on me. Hence the rag that git sucked into the oil pickup and the missing oil pan bolt. Not sure of course and hope that's not the case. But even if it was i refuse to do that to someone else

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
781 Posts
Dude, did you have any metal in your oil? Do yourself a favor. Clean your oil catch pan out spotless, drain your oil off into it and let it sit for about 5 min then slowly pour that shit off into a clean milk jug or a couple cleaned out 2 liter bottles. Just don't super slow. When it's almost all out pour even slower and then kinda swish the remaining crap around in the bottom of the oil drain pan. Is there a ton of glitter? If the oil pump is making pressure when the rpm is up then not when idleing I would think your pump lobes are scratched or grooved from debris or metal circulating through the oil. Also, adjust your idle up to about 1600 rpm. I had my gen 1 sitting at 1800 rpm since it was a dog off the line otherwise. Didn't hurt it at all just made it quicker to respond off the line. Maybe that will keep shit spinning fast enough to keep the pressure up and will partially solve your issue but it's 100% the oil pump not making enough pressure at idle from what you are describing. It is still turning so don't trip on the chain or linkage or shaft. It's the housing or most likely the lobes or a seal issue. And if the light goes out at higher rpm it's safer to run her at those higher rpm. That's why it's blinking, lower rpm the pressure is fluctuating between too low and just enough. Try to set the idle up a few hundred rpm and go from there

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
781 Posts
And I just saw the post about excessive wear and lose shit in there. Yeah your engine had metal in it. You should get an oil pressure relieve valve from ape that is higher pressure and replace the pump with a fresh on or even a used and non grooved one. Sounds like you have a damaged pump

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
781 Posts
As for the miles. All you have to do is change the dash and the Miles change to what the new dash has on it not the bike

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
This engine is pretty much done for as is. Needs a full rebuild. There was a good bit of bearing material when i pulled the pan after taking the engine out. The first time i dropped the pan and found the rag there wasnt any bearing material. This time there was a good bit. Already had a shimmed relief valve and gen3 oil pump. Pressure was great after that was done. But damage was done already

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
781 Posts
Yep, I spun a bearing and wanted to keep the same oil pump cause of how much every was costing to rebuild. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would toast the thing almost right away if I did that and was shown the small groves on the oil pump lobes. Sorry to hear that is what your situation is. Best of luck with it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I have a chance to buy a complete 2008 zx10 engine kit with wiring harness, ecu, throttle bodies etc. Everything but gauges with 10,000 miles. Can my gauges be used with the 2008 harness?? Would there be an advantage to swapping everything to the gen 3 stuff? There is also a 2006 engine only that i am looking into. Just wanted to see what you guys thought regarding the two. Thanka guys!

101 - 113 of 113 Posts