Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 zx10r

Was riding yesterday and got around the corner from my house to the stop sign and the bike just died. Dash went dead and nothing. Tried turning the key off and back on still nothing. So I walked the bike back to my house. Checked all the fuses under the seat. None were blown. I pulled the left side fenders because I remember seeing two fuses up by the headlights. Both those were fine.

ARE THERE ANY OTHER FUSES ON THE BIKE BESIDES UNDER THE SEAT AND THE TWO LARGE ONES UP BY THE HEADLIGHTS?

Now in case it is not fuses I should explain what I think could have caused this. About a week ago I was working on the bike with the side fenders off. I got called into work and basically left the bike in my driveway. I couldn't get back in time before it got rained on. So I pulled the bike into the garage, left the fenders off and put a fan on the bike for 2 days. I wanted to make sure it was completely dry. Rode the bike for a good 4 days NO ISSUES till this happened.

I live in WI and we only have another week or 2 left of riding so I just want to put a "band aide" on this so I can enjoy riding till I have to put it away. Once I put it away I am going to put a new wiring harness on it. The previous owner installed an alarm and air horn that spliced into the wire harness. I disconnected both and have been riding the entire summer just fine until the other day.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Where are the splices for the alarm (which wire)? And what type of splices were used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
Sounds like a burned up alternator and/or rectifier. Before you go swapping wire harnesses, you should check the output of those two things. If the bike is running strictly off the battery, then it will eventually die like you described.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sky dork I was thinking that but its a brand new battery this season. If it was running on only battery it wouldn't have fired up instantly the 35 seconds that it did before it died at the instantly at the stop sign. On top of that while it was drying off in the garage I put it on the charger. The battery went to full. What is the rectifier? If that failed would it instantly shut the bike down? Would it kill the bike to the point where when you turn the key on you don't hear ANYTING getting power?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE

So out PURE frustration I just went out to the bike and was like screw it ill put the jump pack on it and see what happens. Sure as can be I turned the key in what do you know power to everything. I fired it up and took a reading at the battery and I was pushing 14.65. So I assume it IS the battery.

My biggest frustration on anything car or bikes is electrical. I don't know why but it frustrates the hell out of me.

·
Registered
615 Posts
As skydork said, check the alternator and the rectifier also. If you've gone through a brand new battery that fast, it may be something you can change on the off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do I check the rectifier and alternator? I got a read off the battery of 14.6 volts with the bike running so I would assume the alternator is fine. How do I check the rectifier?

Thanks for ANY AND ALL help everyone!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
UPDATE

So out PURE frustration I just went out to the bike and was like screw it ill put the jump pack on it and see what happens. Sure as can be I turned the key in what do you know power to everything. I fired it up and took a reading at the battery and I was pushing 14.65. So I assume it IS the battery.

My biggest frustration on anything car or bikes is electrical. I don't know why but it frustrates the hell out of me.
Well, that's interesting. And good for you!

The battery is used for starting the bike ONLY and completing the overall circuit. The alternator (stator and magnet) turns with the engine and produces a variable AC voltage. At 4,000rpm, the alternator should be putting out about 46 volts AC. The regulator/rectifier is downstream of that and does 2 things....it rectifies the AC voltage into DC volts and regulates the maximum voltage output to about 14-15 volts DC. Hence the name.

The bike is a 12 volt DC negative ground set up. So the extra voltage coming out of the rectifier is used to keep the battery charged and run the electronics on the bike. Again, the only reason the battery is even in the bike is turn the starter motor. Once the engine is running, the alternator should power it. BUT if the battery faults internally, the circuit is essentially broken. Which is what sounds like happened to you in this case.

If you can start the bike by jump starting it, then obviously the battery is bad. If you get the bike running and disconnect the jump battery, the motor should continue to run unless the battery is broken internally and the circuit is essentially open. OR if the alternator is not supplying the power, the motor will continue to run off the battery until it drains and the motor dies.

Based on everything you've said here, the battery has an open cell internally and needs replacement. That should be the first thing. What type of battery did you put in it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sky dork thanks for all your help. I will be taking it to my uncles in the spring so we can check all of that. I got it on the charger now. I fired it up on the jump pack and at idle it died when I removed the jump pack. I jumped it again and rev'd it to like 5k and pulled the jump pack it stayed running. So at minimum the battery is shot so I will be ordering one of those this offseason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts