Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, thanks for the great info on your forums. I'm Greg from Auckland, NZ. Currently not riding my 2005 ZX10r (C2) due to what appears to be a strange power problem. Zero power when ignition is on... some signs of life with checks having been done as follows:

1. There is 12v power at the white (+) lead at the ignition switch (in off position). This goes to 0v once ig switch is turned on. Discussed with my mechanic and we're both convinced it shouldn't be an immobiliser circuit but who knows? This zero voltage is not followed by any fuses blowing, none have ever done so on this bike, so a strange one maybe. (Fyi - bike was an ex-Canada import, had no immobiliser, has the canadian transport maple leaf sticker near the frame number...)
2. Ignition switch itself appears to be fine. Has been taken apart and looked at. No signs of shorting and also no fuses have blown or any signs of life while checking connections or jiggling it to see if anything lights up.
3. Starter motor is fine have checked by jumping the gap between the bolts adjacent to the main fuse. Good turnover seems to indicate good battery.
4. Main fuse is fine, power coming out of fuse leads is ok.
5. Have run a jumper from the main fuse to the white (+ input) and the bike powers up, turns over. Have not gone as far as turning it over until the engine fires up yet. Didn't want to run it on a jumper in case other problems could affect ecu (?).

Upon turning the key on normal startup (no jumper) no signs of life whatsoever. Display is dead, no lights, no fuel pump noise.

1a. The same 12v power going to 0v happens whether the a. ECU and/or b. relay box are plugged in or not. So it appears these electronics are NOT causing this power outage when the key ie. ignition switched is turned to ON position.

Any thoughts on the cause of this power cutoff? 2005 ZX10r, no immobiliser. Could it still perhaps be ignition switch given these symptoms? I would think unlikely, but maybe circuitry related to immobilisation? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI - problem solved. Ignition switch was OK and was not immobiliser related.

The problem was a fried connector (possibly wiring loom number 2(?) from the wiring diagram - which is really a connector) which was passing some current but not enough, causing the voltage to drop to zero under load once the ignition was on.

So much so that the bike showed absolutely zero signs of life.

The connector in question involves a single wiring loom connected to a light blue connector which acts like an end-plug on the end of a wiring loom. This acts to connect up to 4 cables at a time to complete various circuits.

The connector involving the white wires leading to the ignition had arced or shorted providing a partial connection. And some corrosion.

Hope this helps other riders with a similar problem. Was stumped earlier, but turned out to be a fairly simple problem - not a complex electronic fault.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts