Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paid the shop to put water wetter in my bike....just checked and the water is clear and removing the radiator cap it's just water. The shop is out of business....how serious is riding like this without anti freeze or water wetter?...

·
Registered
101 Posts
It shouldn't hurt, so long as it doesnt freeze but Water Wetter doesn't help with freezing either.

If this is a street bike I wouldn't run with water/Water Wetter. Antifreeze includes boil over protection and well as lubricant and additives to prevent corrosion from the different alloys in the cooling system. The only reason I'd run water/WW is if my race sanctioning body didn't allow any antifreeze, like MotoAmerica. Most race orgs allow various propylene glycol coolants such as Engine Ice for example.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was concerned in hot weather...it was 94 here today and anti freeze raises the boiling point and lowers the freezing point. Yeah I've used Water Wetter and Engine Ice for track days....

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,058 Posts
You shouldn't run straight water. It will be fine for cooling the motor in hotter temps, but is corrosive to the other parts in the cooling system and can freeze. You should drain the water out yourself and refill it with Water Wetter and deionized water. It's a quick change and if you've already stripped it down to check the radiator cap you're at that point. Water Wetter is great stuff, track approved, and provides the lubrication and anti-corrosive that straight water doesn't. That's why it's used, because water alone is the best for cooling just not for the other stuff.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought...I am letting it cool down right now and going to taste the water in the radiator to make sure.

You have to remove the right fairing to get at the overfill tank. Not that big a deal...not sure what else = there must be a coolant drain plug someplace.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,058 Posts
I was concerned in hot weather...it was 94 here today and anti freeze raises the boiling point and lowers the freezing point. Yeah I've used Water Wetter and Engine Ice for track days....
Anti-freeze does NOT raise the boiling point. It lowers the freezing point. The radiator cap it used to increase the pressure in the system which raises the boiling point. That's why it's called "antifreeze" and not "antiboil". Water boiling is pressure based, not temperature based. Lower the pressure far enough and the water will boil at room temp. Raise the pressure on it and you have to increase the temperature to make it boil. Think pressure cookers, longer cooking times in Denver, CO versus Florida, and that 6th grade science class. ?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,058 Posts
That's what I thought...I am letting it cool down right now and going to taste the water in the radiator to make sure.

You have to remove the right fairing to get at the overfill tank. Not that big a deal...not sure what else = there must be a coolant drain plug someplace.
Yup, the drain plug is on the pump housing. Take the screw out, pop the radiator cap off, and the water will piss out the left side of the bike. Keep it on the sidestand so it all drains out to the left.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,058 Posts
any special instructions on burping the system?
It's pretty basic. Refill the system, squeeze the hoses a few times with your hand, when there's no more bubbles coming out, refill the radiator. Start the motor with the cap off and let it circulate the fluid in the system for a couple minutes. Shut it off, refill the radiator to the very top, put the cap on it that will push out the extra fluid, and you're done. Go ride!

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the capacity...Amazon sells 12 ox bottle for cars to be mixed with water.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,058 Posts
What's the capacity...Amazon sells 12 ox bottle for cars to be mixed with water.
It's about half a gallon of water in there. You should be able to find Water Wetter locally at an autoparts store and the smallest they have is fine. The Water Wetter is mixed at a ratio. Go buy a gallon jug of deioned water at the grocery store, a bottle of WW at the auto parts store, and mix it in the water jug. It's not that crucial though. A few ounces of WW mixed in a gallon of the water and you'll have plenty left over WW and left over of your premix. You can run it 50/50 or 60/40 or 55/45 or 49/51. It ain't that specific. The 12oz bottle will treat 3 to 5 gallons of water. You won't be anywhere close to that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just did mine yesterday. Flushed out the antifreeze and added Engine Ice. Good idea on the squeezing the hoses to burp the system.

I flushed it out with 50/50 distilled water & distilled white vinegar.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tastes like water from a radiator to me...should I be worried or should I just wait until I feel like facing this when it's convenient and I feel like it....

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I'm afraid of...I paid them for a full service for $1,000 I called them after looking at the invoice and asked why they didn't charge me for an air filter...they said didn't need it....took my bike to the dealer a week later and asked them to inspect it...and this is what the took out of my bike...I challenged the charge from American express and got a $500 credit...bike does run really well they ran out of money at the shop and could not pay for an air filter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah that filter is darker than 10 assholes. Dirtier too.

I doubt they changed your spark plugs and check valve clearances.

Was the shop in Irvine?

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah...they changed the tensioner arm, spark plugs, adjusted the valves, and the bike runs faster and stronger than it ever had..quieter....no more Kawi rattle......stronger then when Attack dyno'd it at 185 RWHP...feels more like 190....the tech at Mission Motorsports said that was one of the strongest bike he had ever ridden. The front office guys were goof balls. Metric Method....They had all the valve adjustment and full service done and no one ordered a valve cover gasket...so I had to wait another week to get that installed and the bike put back together...nobody ordered the air filter and they tried to bluff me and I called them out on it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Oh hell yeah! That water is the least of your worries then.

I’m actually going to Attack on Thursday to get a custom tune.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Richard and the guys did a nice custom map for me...I have Guhl reflash, removed secondaries and Bazzaz fuel controller. ...and that was back in 2011.... pretty sure I'm pushing 190 are the rear wheel now..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts