Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 ZX10R
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've done what I believe to be my due diligence serching through old nitrous posts, and most of them were just that...old. I saw things referencing the power commander 3 with the multi-function hub, and older things.

So where I'm at is this. I'm looking to add a little extra power to my 2011 zx10 and I looked at boosting it but that was going to be a nightmare. a friend has an old k03 turbo off his Audi that would have worked but there are no kits out there for this bike that I can find, so nitrous it is.

So, in order to get the extra horsepower, I'm thinking of the "dry done right" nitrous kit from nitrous express. my questions are these.

Thanks if you made it this far. Any advice is welcomed

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
The actual shot HP/TQ will depend on how it is delivered (spray bar, fan nozzle, bottle pressure, etc). 50 is a lot for a stock motor bike, but I've done it on gen 5 without issue.

Pump fuel? On a 25 shot, sure. On a 50 shot? Playing with fire. A good VP fuel is a lot cheaper than motor repair, and a lot less aggravating. Honestly, you should have this conversation with whoever is going to tune the bike, as they will have a preference/plan for how to make it work for them.

As far as kit extras go; I wouldn't use that set-up myself. Trying to set-up a mechanical TPS switch is going to be challenging, and a 50 shot in all at once in 1st gear might be reeeeally entertaining. A good progressive controller will have a WOT switch/window switch function, and allow you to ramp the hit in.

·
Registered
2011 ZX10R
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The actual shot HP/TQ will depend on how it is delivered (spray bar, fan nozzle, bottle pressure, etc). 50 is a lot for a stock motor bike, but I've done it on gen 5 without issue.

Pump fuel? On a 25 shot, sure. On a 50 shot? Playing with fire. A good VP fuel is a lot cheaper than motor repair, and a lot less aggravating. Honestly, you should have this conversation with whoever is going to tune the bike, as they will have a preference/plan for how to make it work for them.

As far as kit extras go; I wouldn't use that set-up myself. Trying to set-up a mechanical TPS switch is going to be challenging, and a 50 shot in all at once in 1st gear might be reeeeally entertaining. A good progressive controller will have a WOT switch/window switch function, and allow you to ramp the hit in.
Okay, this is all really helpful. So, it sounds like 25 is the shot to go for then. my plan was to only use the nitrous in 3rd gear and beyond, I can't WOT in 1st or 2nd gear anyways without it standing up.

Are you saying that you wouldn't buy this kit at all? It does come with a WOT switch, so could I just add a progressive controller to the kit and be good to go?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
That WOT switch will be challenging to configure correctly; a progressive controller will have the WOT switch built in, and also a 'window switch'. A window switch allows you to set an on & off rpm... helps to prevent early activation and/or bumping into the limiter while spraying.

E85 will work, though it isn't an ideal fuel for nitrous. A 25 shot can be run on pump gas, all day long, probably with no/very little change to timing.

...and to be honest with you, a 25 shot sprayed only in 3rd gear and up isn't going to do much to make it faster. It will have little to no impact on ET, and a mild effect on trap speed. If you want to put distance on someone in a race, it needs to be on the first time the bike sees 90% throttle or better.

As far as that 'kit' goes? eh, I'm not a huge fan. If you don't mind doing all the work to make it fit (bending lines, finding places to put shit, etc), it's not a bad way to save a little money.... but I'd prefer a spraybar set-up with at least a progressive controller if it was going to go on any of my bikes.

·
Registered
2011 ZX10R
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That WOT switch will be challenging to configure correctly; a progressive controller will have the WOT switch built in, and also a 'window switch'. A window switch allows you to set an on & off rpm... helps to prevent early activation and/or bumping into the limiter while spraying.

E85 will work, though it isn't an ideal fuel for nitrous. A 25 shot can be run on pump gas, all day long, probably with no/very little change to timing.

...and to be honest with you, a 25 shot sprayed only in 3rd gear and up isn't going to do much to make it faster. It will have little to no impact on ET, and a mild effect on trap speed. If you want to put distance on someone in a race, it needs to be on the first time the bike sees 90% throttle or better.

As far as that 'kit' goes? eh, I'm not a huge fan. If you don't mind doing all the work to make it fit (bending lines, finding places to put shit, etc), it's not a bad way to save a little money.... but I'd prefer a spraybar set-up with at least a progressive controller if it was going to go on any of my bikes.
So, this is very interesting and helpful. I appreciate what you are saying but the most racing that I do is that good ole mexican street racing, almost entirely rolls. So, in that case, that's where the 3rd gear plus idea comes in. Does that change your opinion at all about using the nitrous the way i described? I know most people say "these bikes don't need more power" and that's sort of true but when you are roll racing 1100 whp vettes and twin turbo mustangs, It never hurts to have a little more power. Or atleast, so I'm thinking. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
You will find the performance of a 25 shot to be disappointing, most likely. I personally find it to not be worth all the effort for an approximate 10% increase, especially when you have 20-30% on tap with a jet change.

Regardless of the shot size, proper management of the nitrous flow is still critical in my book, if you have a care for reliability. You're going to have a hard time setting up a mechanical WOT switch on that bike, and not spraying into the limiter is something you want to do... without some sort of window switch or controller, that will happen eventually. Will anything catastrophic happen on a 25 shot when you do? Probably not. Can it? You bet. Don't get me wrong, it can be done on just a dummy button (hell, I did it that way once), it's just not smart or consistent. Fumbling for buttons while you're trying to shift or just hold on to the bike sucks. When you (almost immediately) get used to a 25 shot, you'll want more, and you might as well have the framework to grow into, instead of having to redo half of your set-up. Just my opinion, of course.

....and down in our part of Mexico, we are sure as hell not leaving in 3rd gear. If I'm under 80 I'll be in 1st... that drive that 1st gear gives you over 2nd or 3rd is monumental. Most of these bikes now are running a bigger first gear (Robinson's, generally), arm, and longer final gearing to take advantage of the extra length most roll races have. Also, a 25 sprayed in 3rd gear isn't going to help at all with real 4-digit HP race cars on 100+ mph rolls. If they have the gear, they are going to murder you over 120mph. Bring the hit down to about 40-60mph and you can do work with less power... but up above 140 the air is not your friend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts