Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEy guys wondering if anyone has run a 20-30 shot of nitrous on a motor with the kawi replacement thin head gasket? Im thinking baout adding a lil juice to the mix but was wonderign how nitrous would do with mabey 13:1 compression?

Kawis gasket is .2mm smaller right and for ever .2 smaller it adds .25 of a point in compression so we'd be at abotu 13:1 compression correct?

Im also doing full exhaust, intake, power commander, stacks, and the kawi racing cam. BTW

Thanx guys!

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
1killer1liter has a similar setup so maybe he'll post tomorrow about it.

BD

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet thanx, so far outta the 3 other zx10 sites I have been to this one seems to be rocking the most!!!!! always someone to answer my questions!

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
garth285 said:
sweet thanx, so far outta the 3 other zx10 sites I have been to this one seems to be rocking the most!!!!! always someone to answer my questions!
since it's primarily a zx10 site more often than not you'll find what yer lookin for. :mrgreen:

BD

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i run nos but not with the thin gasket. i used to run a 90 shot but now i just run a 60. killer would know.:+1:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
damn, what else mods do you have done to suport that? wet system I guess also right?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
garth285 said:
damn, what else mods do you have done to suport that? wet system I guess also right?
nope i ran 90 hp dry kit all last summer. i went threw about 13 1lb bottles. i used the mps instant rich fuel mix and never had a problem beside my bottle being mounted wrong.if your not hanging on tight your flying off. i switch it to a 60hp because i was afraid of engine problems. but the bike runs like new.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
wont hurt it, as long as the map is right. im running something similiar

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the same setup but I also have the 2mm kit I run a full 40 shoot nos on the motor and its damn leathal and scary

Buddy of mine has a busa with a turbo that slams 250 horses to the pavement and he wants to run

I say it will make for a really interesting run if you know what i mean

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Nitrous likes compression. You will get more out of a 30 shot when running a higher compression ratio. With the new setup (muzzys thin head gasket, degreed cams 105/102) I put the 30 shot back in after trying a 60 shot on the stock motor. The 60 shot was just stupid power. Hit the button and WATCH THE F*#K OUT! You will be fine with a 30 shot on a stock wheelbase. Be sure to have a shift light set to come on a little lower in the revs than you would shift. By the time you see the shift light, transmit the action to your foot and shift, you will be close to the rev limiter, if not hitting it. It revs REALLY fast when using nitrous.

On a side note, I called powercommander last week to find out about the software upgrade to switch between 2 different maps with the pcIII USB. Its not software like I was previously told. It's hardware, a new piece added to the trunk. PC doesn't know when it will be available.

·
Registered
65 Posts
hey I heard that some people are burning #4 on the gas but as long as it is rich on the gun you sould be ok

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Burning #4? As in the piston? YOU HAVE TO GET A CUSTOM MAP FOR NITROUS!!! NO IFS, ANDS or BUTS!

·
Registered
65 Posts
yeah that was with a custom map mybe they are forgeting to riching it up I don't no

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Get a custom map using nitrous on the dyno. Don't say 'Well its at 12.5:1 A/F. It should run ok'. Thats asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
garth285 said:
HEy guys wondering if anyone has run a 20-30 shot of nitrous on a motor with the kawi replacement thin head gasket? Im thinking baout adding a lil juice to the mix but was wonderign how nitrous would do with mabey 13:1 compression?

Kawis gasket is .2mm smaller right and for ever .2 smaller it adds .25 of a point in compression so we'd be at abotu 13:1 compression correct?

Im also doing full exhaust, intake, power commander, stacks, and the kawi racing cam. BTW

Thanx guys!
i get my bike back from the racing shop tomorrow, im running the same set-up as you are, minus v.stacks. i'll post dyno runs up. im starting out w/ the 20 shot, then i'll go bigger if needed..... btw, good info killer.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah power commander is stealing all of yosh's ideas, first with the quick shifter then the ignition module and now the switchable map but thats what happens when you hire your competitor to build your own stuff lol.

I would love to see a switchable map liek the yosh cube had that would totally rock!

On another note, has anyone used the kawi intake racing cam and degreed those as well or do they jsut leave them how they come?

Im gunna go with the kawi gasket which is .2mm smaller and is made by them so mabey a lil less chance of a blow out. and Im probably gunan get the power commander ignition module when I get my nitrous as well to retard timing a lil more.

Thanx guys!

·
Banned
814 Posts
1killer1liter said:
By the time you see the shift light, transmit the action to your foot and shift, you will be close to the rev limiter, if not hitting it. It revs REALLY fast when using nitrous.
do the ZX10's have spark cut or fuel cut as their rev limiter? you bump the rev limiter on nitrous and you'll be funding a new motor. buy a window switch.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Man you guys are CRAZY!!!!! I had a friend running a dry system(40# hp shot) on his '05 custom dyno tuned map(rich, timing dialed back a bit). It was a trip and crazy fast. Had a master switch and the NOS came on @ wide open throttle. He ran it for 1 summer. I think he went through 20-25 refills on his little bottle(think it had a 30 second shot). His bike(with only 2500mi)started to smoke at the end of the summer so he brought it in to the dyno shop that installed it. They told him he had been using it too much/too long cause his compression was almost GONE!!!! I will add that the shop supposedly installed it correctly and they got a great rep and do alot of custom tuning on Turbo/NOS strip bikes. I guess the tuner warned him when he first got it to not over use it and if he wanted to use NOS alot he should go to a wet system. Thats all I really know about it but can add that I dont trust the dry systems.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
if you guys are gonna use a dry shot, i highly recommend using the mps quick enrichment box along with pulling a a few degrees of timing out of the engine when spraying...this keeps it safe...also when you are tuning on the dyno for nitrous always lower the a/f ratio another half to a whole point from what you think is safe...reason being, the bike will lean out about that when it going down the track/road...if you are tuning to 12.5 on the dyno for nos, it will be around 13.5 under real load(road/track) and that will be alittle to lean for a nitrous application...we have built alot of nos bikes and it's alot safer at 12-12.8...also, put a a/f meter on the bike...that's the only way to know what the a/f is doing as the weather changes...good luck and happy motoring...

dwayne

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Cycle Concepts said:
if you guys are gonna use a dry shot, i highly recommend using the mps quick enrichment box along with pulling a a few degrees of timing out of the engine when spraying...this keeps it safe...also when you are tuning on the dyno for nitrous always lower the a/f ratio another half to a whole point from what you think is safe...reason being, the bike will lean out about that when it going down the track/road...if you are tuning to 12.5 on the dyno for nos, it will be around 13.5 under real load(road/track) and that will be alittle to lean for a nitrous application...we have built alot of nos bikes and it's alot safer at 12-12.8...also, put a a/f meter on the bike...that's the only way to know what the a/f is doing as the weather changes...good luck and happy motoring...

dwayne
you know....my ride is in the shop now....getting nitrous. and a custom map for it. but im curious about the mps. does it automatically switch to a nitrous map? Or, does it just work w/ the power commander to go fully rich when nitrous is used? :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts