Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was at hooters for bike night and there was a guy there with a trailer with a nitrogen tank in it.....He told me the benefits of having it in my tires. So I went ahead and let him fill my tires.....Are any of yall running nitrogen in your tires?? How do yall feel about nitrogen in your tires?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I run it at the race track, because it doesnt expand when I do my burnout.
Other than that I don't know the benefits or effects of running it.

Im interested to hear peoples opinions though

·
Registered
212 Posts
Everything I have read indicates running nitrogen is a total waste of money.

I ran in on my 'Busa anyway. Didn't see any advantage, but it didn't hurt anything.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Nitrogen doesn't expand with heat near as much. Basically it's used to keep tire pressure consistant. Besides that, it does nothing more.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I dunno. The primary reason for running nitrogen is nitrogen molecules are supposed to be larger than air. This is true. They are about 3% larger, on average. I don't know if this molecular size difference (less than 5 pm) is enough to cause less permeation through the tire material,or not.

Verifying less expansion from heat is hard to visualize. Air is 21% oxygen, 1% other gases (and moisture) and 78% nitrogen. I think most of the temperature differential is from the moisture, which is less than 1%. Is this enough for 100% nitrogen to run cooler? I couldn't tell with my infrared thermometer.

But it all sounds good, and when I was running it a couple of years ago, it only cost me $6/tire. My last bike was a Road King. It handled so sloppy I didn't deem it worthwile to run nitrogen.

What do they charge now for airing motorcycle tires w/ nitrogen?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
$10 for both tires....To me it saves the headache of having to check the tire pressure all the time and having to add air to tires.....$10 is worth it to me ..From what they advertise they say a tire with air loses a average of 2-3 psi per month of air....A tire filled with nitrogen loses 2-3 psi in 6-8 months....

It basically saves me time and effort of having to put air in my tires...Well worth $10 imo

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have been wanting to get my track tires filled with it, but just have been too lazy. If it were free I would do it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nitrogen doesn't expand with heat near as much. Basically it's used to keep tire pressure consistant. Besides that, it does nothing more.
:+1:

Tire pressure changes quite a bit from cold to hot and most track tires have a pretty small window where they have the best grip and best wear.

you need to set the pressure at operating temp and if you're using nitrogen you can get them a lot closer to the right pressure when they're cold.

FTR I use regular compressed air and inflate to 2 or 3 pounds under cold and I'm usually right on or have to let a little air out when I check them hot.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Also with the change in temp water droplets can and often do form inside the tire. At high speeds this can cause an imbalance and vibrations. under oh...i am guessing 150mph or so it isn't that big of a deal. I would think that speeds closer to 200mph it would make a huge difference. I have changed a lot of tires in my day and have seen running watter in tires from constant airing up of the leaky tire. .25 of an oz. of water is just 7ml of volume. Nitrogen will keep this build up from happening.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I ran nitrogen in my car tires years back and found that they held their pressure extremely well:thumbsup:
Other then that i noticed nothing else..

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
:+1:
I ran it in my tires and noticed nothing.I ran it in my car and noticed nothing.I use air,Its free.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I run it in my truck and the pressures stay constant...it's worth it in my truck, but I don't know about the bike...

·
Registered
212 Posts
$10 for both tires....To me it saves the headache of having to check the tire pressure all the time and having to add air to tires.....$10 is worth it to me ..From what they advertise they say a tire with air loses a average of 2-3 psi per month of air....A tire filled with nitrogen loses 2-3 psi in 6-8 months....

It basically saves me time and effort of having to put air in my tires...Well worth $10 imo

If I can get it for $10 I'm sold.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
you need to set the pressure at operating temp and if you're using nitrogen you can get them a lot closer to the right pressure when they're cold.
hmm, generally you set the compressed air pressures low on cold tires. This aides in warming up the tires right? (the tire carcass is flatter and generates into more heat). If the higher N2 pressure(constant pressure) is available, will the tire heat up on the sighting lap? (same as starting out with 35psi on a cold tire?) Or will it finally come into play at the later laps when the tire carcass has actually had the chance to warm up to temp? the compressed air temp would still increase causing an over inflated tire and a possible decrease in traction. Thanks for the topic

·
Chairman of the Board
15,998 Posts
I ran nitrogen in my car tires years back and found that they held their pressure extremely well:thumbsup:
Other then that i noticed nothing else..
:+1:From what I understand the molecules are large and thus the tires lose pressure over a slower period of time. It has worked well me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have nitrogen in my truck, free for me. Only problem is once the tire pressure does leak out I have to go back to a shop that has nitrogen because they only recomend adding compressed air during emergency.

I think that I will stick with air on the track because its free everywhere and if I need to adjust my tire pressure I don't have to worry about having a nitrogen tank nearby.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
you guys realize that there arent "air molecules" right? nitrogen is a component of and makes up nearly 80% of plain ol' air. the other major component is oxygen at a little over 20% of the make up of air. the size difference between oxygen molecules and nitrogen molecules is less than 4 pm (picometers) and is, therefore, negligible when it comes to whats leaking out of your tire and whats staying in. less than 1% of air made up of other crap (argon, carbon dioxide and various trace elements).

while ive never filled my tires with nitrogen and dont know how it plays out in the real world, from a purely scientific pov the premise that filling your tires with nitrogen is better because it has bigger molecules is a little on the uninformed side. science is your friend.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I used to work at a couple of different tire places, and here is what I learned about Nitrogen vs. Compressed Air.
The Nitrogen the Costco or Sam's puts in your tires comes from a special type of compressor, and is a little over 90% Nitrogen( a small increase over regular air)
The Nitrogen is supposed to keep the air temps inside the tires more consistent, less fluctuation from cold to hot.
Tires with Nitrogen won't lose as much air pressure over time. With regular air you lose 2-3psi a month and nitrogen is 2-3 psi over a longer period of time(not sure how long though)
If your paying $10 a tire for anything less than 98% Nitrogen it's not worth it, but at sam's or costco it's a little more money because the compressors cost more.
IMO if you can get Nitrogen in your tires at a decent price it's worth it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts