Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently switched to nitrogen in filling the tires of my car. Can I do the same for my ZX10? I can't think of a reason why it would be bad but I thought I would run it by the collective first.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have recently switched to nitrogen in filling the tires of my car. Can I do the same for my ZX10? I can't think of a reason why it would be bad but I thought I would run it by the collective first.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
DONT DO IT..... I run a tire shop and one of the benefits of the nitrogen is the tire run cooler.. on a motorcycle you want the tires to run hot so they stick.. the tires will take much much longer to warm up and they will not get as hot as they do now so you will get less traction.......

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would also think it would be to expensive if you use your bike for road and track with different pressures.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks! I didn't know that Nitrogen runs cooler than air.
No prob man.. we used to sell the nitrogen service at my shop and we found that the guys with soft tires on high performance cars hated the nitrogen. One guy had a corvette and ran very soft tires and he didnt drive the car much.. so he said when the car sits without driving it for a couple weeks at a time the car would vibrate for about a mile till the tires warmed up cause there were flat spots in the tires from sitting.. after we switched his car to nitrogen he said the car would vibrate for about ten miles.... this was happening because the nitrogen makes the tires run much much cooler....

·
Registered
34 Posts
So, I'm going to need the science on the nitrogen runs cooler claim. The reason for the use of nitrogen is because it's density does not change as much as air with changes in temperature. If your observation is that tire pressures don't increase as much with nitrogen filled tires after warming them up, then that is why. I'm not saying you're wrong. But your claim doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It makes sense.

My 10R "wakes up" as I get into a ride. Makes sense the tires would also need to come up to temp. BTW, what pressures do you run on the street? Do you stick to the book or have you deviated? If so, why?

Jeff

·
Registered
546 Posts
So, I'm going to need the science on the nitrogen runs cooler claim. The reason for the use of nitrogen is because it's density does not change as much as air with changes in temperature. If your observation is that tire pressures don't increase as much with nitrogen filled tires after warming them up, then that is why. I'm not saying you're wrong. But your claim doesn't make any sense to me.
http://www.wellworthproducts.com/articles/nitrogentires.asp

·
Registered
546 Posts
The main reason to run nitrogen in tires is to lower the rolling resistance to impove fuel economy.. it does this by lowering the tire temperature and not allowing the tire to expand as much becuase it runs cooler.... cooler tire = less expansion = less rolling resistance = cooler tires..

·
Registered
546 Posts
It makes sense.

My 10R "wakes up" as I get into a ride. Makes sense the tires would also need to come up to temp. BTW, what pressures do you run on the street? Do you stick to the book or have you deviated? If so, why?

Jeff
I am a heavy rider.. geared up im almost 260... so in short im a fat guy.. lol.. and i run 38 rear and 32 front.. I find this gets me the best traction for my type of riding and doesnt wear the middle of the tire out as much.. I have a friend that has the same bike and he is a light weight rider (only weights about 140) and he runs 42 in the rear and 38 front and he wears the middle of the tire out twice as fast as I do...

·
Registered
546 Posts
now if your using race tires and tire warmers and are on a race track nitrogen is great.. but remember you are on the street with street tires and not using tire warmers...
alot of guys see the guys on tv racing and thing they should do what the guys on tv are doing.. remember THEY ARE NOT ON THE STREET.. they are on a race track....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought the whole reason for switching to Nitrogen is that it doesn't leak out of the tires as fast due to being a larger molecule than breathable air.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I thought the whole reason for switching to Nitrogen is that it doesn't leak out of the tires as fast due to being a larger molecule than breathable air.
that is a benefit as well but the big selling point on the nitrogen swap is fuel mileage and it is supposed to make your tires last longer because they run cooler..

·
Registered
546 Posts
we actually got rid of our nitrogen setup because it doesnt sell... its just people trying to reinvent the wheel..... average person doesnt want to pay extra for the air in their tires.. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Should I infer about your lighter friend's tire wear that he should be running higher pressures?

I am about 190lbs in street clothes, based on your experience what pressure would you guesstimate to be a good one for me?

Jeff

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
that is a benefit as well but the big selling point on the nitrogen swap is fuel mileage and it is supposed to make your tires last longer becaus they run cooler..
I'm still interested in any scientifically-based argument why they would run cooler. The heat in the tire comes from the deflection of the rubber. Nitrogen appears to have a slightly greater heat capacity than air at around 30C (or ~300K), but it only means that it will take a bit longer for it to get to the same temperature as air.

The benefits of nitrogen seem to be mostly related to lower leak rate and lower moisture content. For aircraft applications non-flammability is also of benefit.

Sources:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-properties-d_156.html
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/nitrogen-d_977.html
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=191

·
Registered
926 Posts
wow...

Nitrogen is used for consistant tire pressures, thus the race useage.

Nitrogen does not make your tires run cooler.

The reason your tires feel better after they get warmed up is that heat transfer will increase your tire pressure with air in your tires. That's why (for example) you have say 32psi until you ride it. When you stop after a ride, check your pressure and it will be (for example) 36 psi.

If you put 36 psi (cold) of nitrogen into your tires, then check them after a ride you will have 36 psi (hot). Your tires will still need warmed up just as if you had regular air in them.

Your tires will take a little longer to warm up with nitrogen simply because with lower cold tire pressure from air you are increasing the amount of flex/friction, so they will warm up faster. It has abosultely nothing to do with the type of air... just tire pressures

Run 36 psi (hot) with air for 10 laps and check the tire temps with a heat sensor , then do it with 36 psi of nitrogen and your tires will be the exact same temperature... no less sticky.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Should I infer about your lighter friend's tire wear that he should be running higher pressures?

I am about 190lbs in street clothes, based on your experience what pressure would you guesstimate to be a good one for me?

Jeff
I tell people to set their psi according to the feel of the bike.. I run lower pressure cause the tires warm up faster and it doesnt wear out the middle of the tires and I find it handles better for me.. some people say the lower pressure makes the rear a lil less stable but i never experienced that. for me 38 r 32 front is perfect.. my friend runs his at max pressure and always has a big flat spot in the middle of the tire.. mine weare almost perfect.. my guess at your weight 38r 31 f or 37r 31f would be a good starting point but again it depends on the type of riding you do.. best advice is experiment.. try different settings on the same road so you can compare... your tire psi all depends on your type of riding that is why there is no set in stone anwser

·
Registered
546 Posts
wow...

Nitrogen is used for consistant tire pressures, thus the race useage.

Nitrogen does not make your tires run cooler.

The reason your tires feel better after they get warmed up is that heat transfer will increase your tire pressure with air in your tires. That's why (for example) you have say 32psi until you ride it. When you stop after a ride, check your pressure and it will be (for example) 36 psi.

If you put 36 psi (cold) of nitrogen into your tires, then check them after a ride you will have 36 psi (hot). Your tires will still need warmed up just as if you had regular air in them.

Your tires will take a little longer to warm up with nitrogen simply because with lower cold tire pressure from air you are increasing the amount of flex/friction, so they will warm up faster. It has abosultely nothing to do with the type of air... just tire pressures

Run 36 psi (hot) with air for 10 laps and check the tire temps with a heat sensor , then do it with 36 psi of nitrogen and your tires will be the exact same temperature... no less sticky.
really? I run a tire store dude.. I know a few things about tires and nitrogen...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts