Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing the Nissin over OEM Tokico calipers,I want to say oh my gosh!
My question is;what makes the Nissin so much more better than the Tokicos?
Both 4 pistons,I noticed the Nissin reccesd alot easier than the Tokicos.
Is the inner valve much bigger to push more fluid internally on the Nissin?
With the Tokicos I noticed is was more of a firm grip of the lever and she would stop.
With 100 miles around town-interstate miles,it's more of a, cover and feather the lever now.
Whats the secret?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,753 Posts
No one seems to know the answer, and probably no one ever will. It could be anything from the overall design of the system, to manufacturing tolerances, to the choice in materials used or simply a combination of all of the above.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
No one seems to know the answer, and probably no one ever will. It could be anything from the overall design of the system, to manufacturing tolerances, to the choice in materials used or simply a combination of all of the above.
:+1:.....i've looked for the same answer when i first got my 10 and have read and heard about every possible difference and why it is or isn't better....someone said something once about the actual pistons inside the caliper binding on the stock tokiko's.....made sense to me but then again so did alot of other reasons.:thumbsup:

·
Chairman of the Board
16,059 Posts
So what year/make/model bike did you guys get the Nissin's from? Did you Re-build them or just install them? New pads? Im thinkin this will be in the near future for me as well.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'd love to know the answer to this too! I've just got myself a set of brand new 2009 ZX6R calipers which are going on at the weekend (onto a Gen 1).

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got...

I got a set off ebay from KNV motorsports,$200.00 for the ZX6r calipers off an 07.
The listing stated they only fit 2nd and 3 gens,and shipping was only $14.00.
So for the toal amount i spent on brakes,I should done this earlier.
The brake shoes measured taller than my OEM original shoes,dry,clean and presented dam well.
I resanded any glaze off by hand,and reinstalled them into the caliper.
Simple...indeed...

·
Registered
227 Posts
:+1:.....i've looked for the same answer when i first got my 10 and have read and heard about every possible difference and why it is or isn't better....someone said something once about the actual pistons inside the caliper binding on the stock tokiko's.....made sense to me but then again so did alot of other reasons.:thumbsup:
What are the pistons made of on the gen 2?
I ask because I tried some K3 GSXR calipers on my gen 1 a while back (before I got the CBR calipers) and they worked waaaaaay better than the stockers. Myself and the guy that owned them (an ex aircraft mech) had a good look over them and came to the conclusion that the stainless ZX pistons are too thin and probably distort under load. The Gixxer calipers have thick ally pistons, otherwise the calipers seem almost identical. Now that I look back it would have been interesting to have swapped 'em out and see if that was it.....

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well, here's another glowing testimonial for the ZX6R Nissin Calipers!

I fitted mine today and they are AWSOME!! The stock calipers were allowing me to pull the lever back to the bar. Sure they stopped me but they were as squishy as hell.

I now have 1-2 finger braking with maximum 20mm of lever travel total! I cant believe how much better they are!! :eek:ccasion1

But Why?!?!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
they are spelled differently i know that :badteeth:
:lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know that it's not just Nissin vs Tokico, but different Tokico calipers will yield the same result. I took the 07 CBR 1000 calipers that are Tokico (because I couldn't find any Nissins for a reasonable price) and installed them with the same outcome as doing the Nissin swap. The difference between the ZX10 Tokicos and the CBR Tokicos was the ZX ones were a four pad and the CBR were a two pad. Is this is reason I donno, but it seems that the ZX ones have something wrong with them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I know that it's not just Nissin vs Tokico, but different Tokico calipers will yield the same result. I took the 07 CBR 1000 calipers that are Tokico (because I couldn't find any Nissins for a reasonable price) and installed them with the same outcome as doing the Nissin swap. The difference between the ZX10 Tokicos and the CBR Tokicos was the ZX ones were a four pad and the CBR were a two pad. Is this is reason I donno, but it seems that the ZX ones have something wrong with them.
The ZX6R ones are 4 pad. In all theory 4 pad should always be better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Then I guess it's an internal construction problem.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The Nissin's have steel pistons vs aluminum ones in the Tokico's, less heat which in turn is easier on the fluid.

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
The Nissin's have steel pistons vs aluminum ones in the Tokico's, less heat which in turn is easier on the fluid.
Except the Tockicos are shit from cold! :lol:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,753 Posts
What year/make/model Nissin calipers can I get for my 06' 10?
This topic has been covered in great detail pretty much since the Gen 2 came out. If you do the research, you'll find that any year ZX-14 or Concours 14 will work. The 07-08 ZX-6R Nissins are the same as well. Others can be made to work, but these are the bolt-on and go ones.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,753 Posts
:shady: This makes no sense. Are you saying that the steel doesn't heat up as much as the aluminum ones? Or that somehow the fluid breaks down because theres more heat in the Tokicos? Nah, this has nothing to do with it. They will both heat the same and as Crownan stated, the they are the same cold as well they are hot and even when there's new fluid.

You're right, the Nissins do have steel pistons. If you had said that the steel is stronger and doesn't deflect like the aluminum ones then that might be better explanation then differential heating.

·
Registered
559 Posts
This topic has been covered in great detail pretty much since the Gen 2 came out. If you do the research, you'll find that any year ZX-14 or Concours 14 will work. The 07-08 ZX-6R Nissins are the same as well. Others can be made to work, but these are the bolt-on and go ones.
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts