Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a few pics of my new ZX-14 Nissin calipers. I repainted them using Duplicolor ceramic paint - very close to the stock color but with some flake. I got a little carried away when I was trying to sand the paint off the Nissin emblem - they ended up getting polished. I also painted the rear caliper to match. Please excuse the dirty appearance of the bike.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks pro! :wink: take it you just gave them a good de-grease, pads out and masked off the pistons?
Degrease with brake cleaner, pads out and then split the calipers and a LOT of masking around all the flat machined surfaces. Then I scuffed them real good with a red scuff pad and hit them brake cleaner again before paint. I sanded the paint on the Nissin emblem with 500 - 1000 - 2000 and then rubbed it with some polish. They have a mirror finish.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Were did you get your ZX-14 calipers? Did you also do the MC? How do you like that setup?
Found the calipers on fleabay and got the m/c from edouble. To tell you the truth, I haven't even put fluid in yet and its too damn cold here for a test ride. Guess I'll have to wait for spring to find out how they perform.

·
Gone
673 Posts
Degrease with brake cleaner, pads out and then split the calipers and a LOT of masking around all the flat machined surfaces. Then I scuffed them real good with a red scuff pad and hit them brake cleaner again before paint. I sanded the paint on the Nissin emblem with 500 - 1000 - 2000 and then rubbed it with some polish. They have a mirror finish.
sounds tedious but looks worth it. did you get new seals?

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Too damn cold? Did some of those paint shavings go up your skirt? :lol:

I checked E-bay and a store sells the calipers/MC compete setup for $299.00

Very nive job though, your attention to detail is excellent!
Thanks for the compliment. I found mine complete with m/c in a buy it now auction - it was $264 shipped and I had already bought a 14 m/c from edouble. I'm a big candy ass when it comes to cold weather riding - anything under 60 degrees and I'm shivering. :lol:

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds tedious but looks worth it. did you get new seals?
No same seals, the system came with the fluid still in it - nothing was leaking and the seller stated it came off a 1,000 mile bike. Even the pads were still good with very little wear.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bit of a silly q - how comes you painted them? did they get damaged during shipping?
No they were pretty much in perfect shape, but I knew having the front calipers one color and the rear another would bother the hell out of me, so I decided a repaint on all 3 would look good and was necessary. I'm a stickler for detail.

·
Gone
673 Posts
No they were pretty much in perfect shape, but I knew having the front calipers one color and the rear another would bother the hell out of me, so I decided a repaint on all 3 would look good and was necessary. I'm a stickler for detail.
thats the sound of a demented man with OCD and too much time on his hands... :lol:

just like me :idea:

:eek:ccasion1

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats the sound of a demented man with OCD and too much time on his hands... :lol:
Have to agree with ya on that one. I definitely have OCD when it comes to the bike or any other project I'm working on. I can't help it and sometimes it drives me nuts being that way - but its worth it in the end.... maybe. :lol:
A wise man once told me, "Do it big, do it small, do it right or don't do it at all".

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I just figured out the hard way that brake cleaner will ruin the finish on a freshly painted caliper. Spilled a little brake fluid and tried to wipe it off with the cleaner and now the finish has some dull spots on it. Looks like I'll be repainting tomorrow. :headshake

1 - 20 of 34 Posts