Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken the stock m/c apart? Do they come apart? I am doing some investigating and would like to take it aprt to do some checking on clearances and such, but I am not sure if it even comes apart.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have taken everything apart I can as of now except for the internal components. I would really hate to screw this up and have to replace it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OKay...So to answer my own question, yes they do come apart.

I have measured the bore of the cylinder and the OD of the plunger and found there to be .002 total clearance.

I would like to ask anyone that has replaced their stock m/c with an aftermarket piece, to let me borrow their stock piece just for measurement purposes. I am looking to find out what the actual manufacturing tolerance range is and to see if there is something I can do with our stock m/c to make them better (ie: larger bore, closer tolerance between bore and plunger, larger inlet orifice holes on top of the m/c). Send me a pm and let me know if anyone has a stock m/c that they would like to send.

I don't think it matters if it is off an 04/05 or 06/07. The info we can learn from this I think is invaluable.

Thanks

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
yes you can disassemble it and rebuild it, oh you've already figured that out :wink:

good luck with the comparo.

BD

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to replace the master cylinder with one that is known to improve braking? Like the 05/06 ZX6R one? I know there are several people that have changed over to that master cylinder with great results as compared to the stock ZX10 one. And they can be found for cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally have no issue with the stock 05 m/c. I am looking to see if there is a large variance in the manufacturing tolerance or if it boils down to how each individual rider applies the brakes. I am just doing this to see if it is rider or a manufacturing defect because some get suffer brake fade while others do not. If I can rule out manufacturing tolerances ( most m/c that are checked are the same or only vary .001) then it could be shown that it is the rider and not the equipment that needs upgraded!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am also exploring the possibility that I can modify the stock m/c for MUCH less than the price of a new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts