Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Nicky signs, whatcha think?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bennice 
#1 ·
Good move for both parties?? From MotorcycleUSA.com

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/913/1...y-Hayden-Signs-with-Aspar-Honda-for-2014.aspx

The future of former MotoGP world champion Nicky Hayden has been in question since Ducati announced it wouldn’t be retaining the American rider in 2014, opting instead to sign Cal Crutchlow to the factory Ducati GP team. That ambiguity was cleared up today with the announcement that Hayden has signed a two-year deal to ride for the Power Electronics Aspar Team next year. Hayden enjoyed his greatest success aboard Honda machinery, winning the 2006 MotoGP title while competing for the Repsol Honda team. Since 2009, he has competed in GP riding for the factory Ducati team with mixed results.

“Sometimes when you think things fell apart maybe they was just falling into place,” Hayden wrote on his Twitter account, adding “Thanks to everybody who helped make this happen & my fans still behind me. Looking forward to the future.”

Valencia-based Aspar also announced it will be switching to Honda’s “RCV1000R” next year after competing in the Claiming Rule Team class the last two years on an Aprilia ART GP motorcycle. The new contract with Honda is for two years initially. Aspar currently fields two riders, Aleix Espargaro and Randy de Puniet, with Espargaro leading all CRT riders in 11th place.

“It is great news for the Power Electronics Aspar Team to have the acquired services of Honda and a rider of the profile of Nicky Hayden,” said Team Aspar. “We are taking a huge step forward in terms of quality, prestige and image. We have grown a lot in a short space of time and we are all very excited about this new project with Honda.”

The Power Electronics Aspar Team reportedly will field two riders next year, with Hiroshi Aoyama’s name being tossed around as one of the riders who potentially will be joining Hayden in 2014.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm astounded that anyone would stay riding pro for more than two years. Simply not worth all the nonsense to work for manufacturers and sponsors with their constant profit agendas. Two years just to have some fun and after that one must realize that they're being exploited, so no longer in the fun zone.

Only way to gain more years from pro riders is to have them run part time with ability to select races and ability to refuse to race due to whatever. With many part time racers on the payroll everyone wins. The one or two guys that are in peak condition can run as often as they wanna.

#4 ·
I'm happy to see Nicky staying in the GP paddock. Stoner says the Honda proddy racer is a great bike, so it'll be cool to see how it does against the other satellite bikes. I bet Nicky's in front of the Ducs consistently next year.

MotoGP racers are getting PAID to race, and be a spokesperson for the company. I think Cal was making $300k at Tech 3 and got bumped to $1.5M with Ducati. I'd jump on either deal in a heartbeat. Big deal you have to talk to the media and show up at sponsor events. Sounds like tons of fun to me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
Am I the only one that realizes that the RCV1000R is not the same thing as a Honda RC213V that the Marquez and Pedrosa ride, it is a CRT bike, basically a CBR1000 motor. Will be a total shit slow ass bike and he will be competing for 12-14th place. Junk, he should have went to WSBK and competed for wins and fans again

#7 ·
It is that. Im still foolishly hopeful that he will find success on it somehow. A few 5th or a 4th here and there along with 1 podium would be an over the top season. Im glad he is staying in GP. I like the guy a lot and I hate to see him go the way of Colin.

#8 ·
I think that the RCV1000R motor is the prototype for what is going to eventually replace the current CBR1Ks motor. Its been known and confirmed that they're switching back to a V4 config, but the date keeps getting delayed. Stoner already said it was slower than the RC213V, so I'd be surprised if Nicky finishes in the top 10 regularly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.