Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,623 Posts
Beat me to it! Glad I didn't repost this. :wink:

My thread title was going to be....
"Washed up? Or smart move?"

Still not sure myself. But the Honda ain't competitive and I don't think Nicky will be able to do anything with it. So it just seems to me that Honda is basically forcing his retirement.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I cant follow WSB because I cant get it through my cable provider (miss it dearly though) so its too bad to hear that Honda is not very competitive. Im guessing Nicky didn't do this a few years back because it just might not have been available to him then. Sure wish he coulda made the move years ago though.
Fuggit, ....at least there's a new Gen out right??? lol

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,623 Posts
Yeah, I don't get it either and I really wish I did without having to pay MORE money to see them live. I've been trying to catch the youtube re-runs when posted, but even that's tough.

Honestly, I think Nicky is on the back-slide of his career. He hasn't been talked about much and hasn't been able to do much with his current ride. I'd like to think his MotoGP experience will help him in WSBK, but I don't think so. I think this move will be short-lived and not much more than a whimper in the paddock. I doubt the KRT boys are worried. Let alone the Ducati, Aprilia, and Suzuki teams either.

Wait, there's a new Gen out? When did that happen?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Don't be hater's but I get every race and love watching Kawi kick some butt. I think Hayden still has a lot left in the tank. Its sad he has not had an A ride in Motogp for many years now.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Don't be hater's but I get every race and love watching Kawi kick some butt. I think Hayden still has a lot left in the tank. Its sad he has not had an A ride in Motogp for many years now.
That's what happens when you don't put in A Ride performances.

Don't get me wrong I'll be cheering for him, but he really hasn't gotten it done on the world stage and nobody in the current age cares about his exploits on a 1000cc V-twin against 750cc Inlines back in the day...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
That's what happens when you don't put in A Ride performances.

We will have to agree that we disagree. His 2006 World Championship was not what Honda wanted. They built the bike for Pedrosa and Hayden still won the championship on it. Much to Honda's disliking and even Rossi couldn't make the Ducati a winner. I think it still sticks in Honda's craw that he did win.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
We will have to agree that we disagree. His 2006 World Championship was not what Honda wanted. They built the bike for Pedrosa and Hayden still won the championship on it. Much to Honda's disliking and even Rossi couldn't make the Ducati a winner. I think it still sticks in Honda's craw that he did win.

I really hate these Nicky conversations cause it always sounds like I am bagging on him, but the truth is I have a ton of respect for the guy. He's got more talent in his pinky finger than I have in my entire body in 10 lifetimes, but I am a realist. I just look at things for what they really are. He spent 4 years on the best MotoGP bike in the paddock before he lucked into a MotoGP Championship with a mere 2 wins and then spent 2 more years on arguably the best factory team in the paddock and produced very lackluster results even worse than his rookie year.

In 2006 it was more a matter of the other guys losing the championship than Nicky winning it. You can say that his consistency paid off, but that is not what race fans want to see and that is not what team owners want to see. That's the shit they say to the camera's, but the truth is they want big glamorous wins on TV so they can get more sponsorship dollars. Everyone's wants to see race wins and a fight for the podium. They want their champions to kick everyone's ass over & over again.

Rossi has 6 MotoGP championship he won those championships with a minimum of 9 wins in a season and most of them were 11 wins!

Stoner has 2 MotoGP Championships he had 10 wins EACH season to win those championships

Lorenzo has 2 MotoGP Championships one season was 9 wins the next was 6 and even that was ok because he gave up the other wins to a tooth and nail 3 way fight with Stoner & Pedrosa.

The point is 9+ wins in a season is how the elite guys at the top of the sport win championships against the best guys in the world.

2 wins in a season is more like how you win a club racing championship with your consistency because you managed to get off work early every Friday so you can make it to every single round during the season.

Being a fan favorite doesn't cut it anymore. Long gone are the days of the teams keeping a rider around and paying him millions of dollars just because the fans like him. That shit ended with the recession. You have to be able to bring something to the table if you expect to get paid now as a professional racer and believe it or not a lot of pro racers at the world level even in MotoGP are subsidizing their own racing. They are paying the team to be able to ride (same in MotoAmerica I might add). American Honda picked up the tab for Hayden the last couple years.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,019 Posts
Im pulling for him. I really think there are those elite guys like Rossi, JoLo, Marauez. Then there are the second tier guys. Pedrosa, Dovi and on the brink second tier guys like Ianonne. Its really a lot like F1 in that respect. You can put a tier two guy on the fastest bike and he is gonna chalk up some wins and in Nickys case even a championship. Past his prime, yes. Still one of the fastest guys on the planet, yes. Im hoping for a few podiums at least for him. Best of luck Nicky.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Always been a fan cuz the guy is just so easy going compared to others. His talents will have him competitive but as others have mentioned i doubt a wsbk title. If a new gen Honder comes out then that may also aid his results cuz the current POS sure can't do much.

BD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts