Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not motorcycles and should probably be in the out house section of this forum but a very special rider died in Funny Car and was A team mate for John Force …ERIC MEDLEN…and had a very very bright future.

He died at age 33yrs old in testing with his funny car and had head trauma.

I wish the Medlen family well and the Force team the best. :sad:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
That's too bad. I thought he was a little goofy but it seemed like he really enjoyed racing.

I hope John can put this behind him quickly and quit worrying about his daughter getting hurt also. He isn't even in the top 10 and I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he worries about Ashley too much. It can't be easy with your daughter going 300+ mph but he shouldn't have let her get into the nitro cars if he was going to let it bother him all the time.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
phastone said:
That's too bad. I thought he was a little goofy but it seemed like he really enjoyed racing.

I hope John can put this behind him quickly and quit worrying about his daughter getting hurt also. He isn't even in the top 10 and I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he worries about Ashley too much. It can't be easy with your daughter going 300+ mph but he shouldn't have let her get into the nitro cars if he was going to let it bother him all the time.
:+1: The season is young so I take your word on John not being in the top 10 right now but he is last years Champion. What I am curious about is how this will effect the team, John letting his girl ride the Funny Car, or even John himself...I have to think there is going to be some changes one way or another but racers like John may stay the course as that's all he has ever known.:dontknow:

·
Shorty's Performance
8,860 Posts
bluedevil said:
:+1: The season is young so I take your word on John not being in the top 10 right now but he is last years Champion. What I am curious about is how this will effect the team, John letting his girl ride the Funny Car, or even John himself...I have to think there is going to be some changes one way or another but racers like John may stay the course as that's all he has ever known.:dontknow:
:+1: im very very sad man:sad: i hope they make some better safety changes.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
^^^It's unfortunate that Medlen or anyone, for that matter, dies while participating in motorsports but it is what it is and stuff happens. Especially when you are going 320 mph or so in a 1/4 mile. I can't think of anything they could do unless they enclose the drivers compartment and fill it with some kind of foam or goo to suspend the driver during a crash. :dontknow: While I am all for safety and preventing injuries and/or deaths, I am also tired of organizations continually changing things to slow the bikes, cars, etc. down. Maybe the nhra could make everyone use the lawn mower engines out of the jr dragsters. Surely no one would get hurt then. And how entertaining would that be? Wow. :headshake

·
Registered
251 Posts
bluedevil said:
I know this is not motorcycles and should probably be in the out house section of this forum but a very special rider died in Funny Car and was A team mate for John Force …ERIC MEDLEN…and had a very very bright future.

He died at age 33yrs old in testing with his funny car and had head trauma.

I wish the Medlen family well and the Force team the best. :sad:
Wow!! Thats news to me, I heard of the accident, but as usual I figured he would pull through, guess more serious than I thought. Man....

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
clutch master said:
Wow!! Thats news to me, I heard of the accident, but as usual I figured he would pull through, guess more serious than I thought. Man....
that's the first thing I thought...I figured that young man would pull through..deaths are rare in funny car even though it's so dangerous...then came the shock....I agree with phastone that safety will be hard to get better as these machines are the monsters of pure power and no matter what you try at those speeds there are no guarantees that any changes will help IMO. Still very sad. :sad:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
bluedevil said:

Watching ESPN2 right now and the Force team has pulled out on the next event going on right now in Houston...their reasons "out of respect". I believe it's a little deeper than that like you can't concentrate about a 300mph + car down the quarter mile while still in mourning. I think the Force team made the right choice. ...but this is an indication that team is devastated f'sho.:sad:

·
Registered
99 Posts
team force not competing in this weeks event in Houston.. i know in nascar most teams went back to race, as thats what they figured the deceased driver would have wanted. i dont blame them. i have always been force fan. god speed Eric

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1LongR1 said:
team force not competing in this weeks event in Houston.. i know in nascar most teams went back to race, as thats what they figured the deceased driver would have wanted. i dont blame them. i have always been force fan. god speed Eric
It's also the first time a Force team as not attended an event since 1985, that tells you how serious this death has affected the team.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts